Right. I know there's several threads similar to this one, but I couldn't find one answering specifically what I need answered. I'm considering buying a Peavey Valveking. What I need to know is, the differences of the 112 or 212.

There's a 200 price difference, which is why I'm considering the 112, because I probobly wouldn't need more than 50 watts(opposed to the 212's 100 watts). But I also know that the 212 has a feature called "dampening?" What exactly is this? How does it change the tone?

Basically I need to know the advantages of the 212, compared to the 112. I play classic rock, and rock, mainly. I have tried out the 212 and loved it, but haven't found the 112 at any local stores. I use an Epiphone G-400 Custom, an Ibanez AEG10E Acoustic/Electric, and a Fender Strat. Thanks in advance, if you need anymore information from me, just ask.
I Just put the 212 on layaway at my local guitar store. I tried them both but I got the 212 . I liked the 212 better but I can't really answer you question on the dampening sorry, lol
Quote by uncle_jimmy
not only do you like the beatles you're amazing. i love you.
Quote by deepsleepr13hrs
I Just put the 212 on layaway at my local guitar store. I tried them both but I got the 212 . I liked the 212 better but I can't really answer you question on the dampening sorry, lol

So the 212 sounds 200$ better, I'm guessing? That's good, congratulations on your purchase. That's alright about the dampening thing, hopefully some one knows. Does anyone else have any comments on my questions?
Do you have a car? I've got a 2x12 combo and it's really difficult to transport. your hands seize up so you play like **** for about an hour too lol. I know it's a little irrelevant, but extremely important to bear in mind. A 1x12 will still be very loud, as I know someone who owns one.

Good luck

Jimbob78
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

I looked it up on wikipedia:
On guitar, dampening (also referred to as choking) is a technique where, shortly after playing the strings, the sound is reduced by pressing the right hand palm against the strings, right hand dampening, or relaxing the left hand fingers' pressure on the strings, left hand dampening. Scratching is where the strings are played while dampened, ie, the strings are dampened before playing (Bolton 2001, p.6). The term presumably refers to the clunky sound produced. In funk music this is often done over a sixteenth note pattern with occasional sixteenths undampened (ibid).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dampening

so I guess it does something with the volume, or makes a clunky sound perhaps, I don't know. I hope someone can answer your question because I am curious now as well. And at my store the difference in price was only $100, the 212 was $489 lol
Quote by uncle_jimmy
Last edited by deepsleepr13hrs at Aug 27, 2006,
Quote by jimbob78
Do you have a car? I've got a 2x12 combo and it's really difficult to transport. your hands seize up so you play like **** for about an hour too lol. I know it's a little irrelevant, but extremely important to bear in mind. A 1x12 will still be very loud, as I know someone who owns one.

Good luck

Jimbob78

I have an expedition, transportation won't be a problem. Also I can get a small cart, if I don't want to carry it.

I believe the wikipedia term is similar to palm muting? I don't think the amp feature is directly related to palm-muting, unless it brings out the bassy sound in palm muting, which would be helpful.

100 dollars more? Are you reffering to US dollars? Or a different currency. If US, tell me what store that is...
Last edited by yorkshireterror at Aug 27, 2006,
Yeah US dollars, Robert M. Sides is the store, I think there's only 3 stores here in Pennsylvania tho... and yeah it did sound like palm muting so I dunno, but I wanna know what it is since I'm getting the amp. I didn't have time to try out everything on the amp me mom was getting mad
Quote by uncle_jimmy
Quote by deepsleepr13hrs
Yeah US dollars, Robert M. Sides is the store, I think there's only 3 stores here in Pennsylvania tho... and yeah it did sound like palm muting so I dunno, but I wanna know what it is since I'm getting the amp. I didn't have time to try out everything on the amp me mom was getting mad

Oh okay. That's pretty lucky, its 580 down here. Although I might be able to bargain down a bit. Surely some one knows this "dampening"? Or any more information about the differences, would be awesome.
$580? Jesus, I've seen em go for as low as $350 before, but generally they go for around $400 used AFAIK.

I've never used the 212, but the 112 i can tell you right now is a great amp. I ran it through a B52 4x12 cab, and it was LOUD. The only difference between the 212 and the 112 is the presence knob. I think the dampening aspect is that on the VK112, the dampening feature is a button, whereas the 212 and head it's a knob... Though i'm probably talking about resonance...
The 212 also has two speakers
Quote by Kensai
Racism... against the human race? Sure, go ahead
^Yeah, you're paying extra because the 212 has TWO TWELVE INCH SPEAKERS.... hence 2x12.

Maybe you knew that and I'm just an idiot.... but maybe you didn't. Whatever.

Two speakers will give you a louder amp in general.... for instance, a 100 watt halfstack with a 4x12 cab would be louder than a 100 watt combo with one 12 inch speaker.

Personally, I'd prefer two speakers to one. But that's just me.
Gear:
Fender Standard Telecaster (Sunburst Finish)
Washburn X-Series Electric (Black Finish)
Ibanez Electric-Acoustic (Black Finish)
Ariana Acoustic

Randall RX120D Halfstack