Poll: Which amp would you choose..?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which amp would you choose..?
Roland Cube 60
8 24%
Vox AD50VT
23 70%
Fender FM65DSP
1 3%
B-52 LG100 12S
0 0%
Crate XT65R
0 0%
Crate XT120R
0 0%
Crate RFX65
0 0%
Crate GLX65
1 3%
Crate FXT120
0 0%
Voters: 33.
I've narrowed it down to the following list of possibilities:

Roland Cube 60 ($349.99) solidstate/multiple fx

Vox AD50VT ($359.99) solidstate/multiple fx

Fender FM65DSP ($374.99) solidstate/multiple fx

B-52 LG100 12S ($399.99) solidstate/reverb only

Crate XT65R ($229.99) solidstate/reverb only

Crate XT120R ($329.99) solidstate/reverb only

Crate RFX65 ($349.99) solidstate/multiple fx

Crate GLX65 ($349.99) solidstate/multiple fx

Crate FXT120 ($379.99) solidstate/multiple fx

If anybody could help me make a solid selection it would be very appreciated. I play all sorts of music, but I don't want an amp that's heavy metal oriented. I want something that's gonna last forever lol, and I want to get my money's worth as well, although I think that should go without saying. If you people could just throw around some of your own experiences and knowledge of the amps listed, that'd be great. Thanks!

Note: the amp chosen will be used for minor gigs, nothing too big, but a gig nonetheless.
"Music is like religion to me. There'll be music in the hereafter too..." -- Jimi Hendrix

"The sun is gone, but I have light..." -- Kurt Cobain

"It's better to burn out then to fade away..." -- Neil Young
Last edited by teenage_cobain at Aug 27, 2006,
Go with the AD50VT. Trust me, itll be miles ahead of those other amps.
Traynor YCS-50>EHX SMM w/ Hazarai>EHX DMM>EHX Holy Grail>EHX Small Stone>EHX Big Muff PI (NY)>EHX Pulsar>Ibanez TS-9DX>Echo Park>Ibanez Vintage Tubeking>Fulltone OCD>Zvex Fuzz Factory> Roto-Machine>Fulltone Wah>MJM London Fuzz>Fender Strat
Vox, most of the other amps suck. The roland cube is good, but if you dont want a high gain amp theres no point getting it. So vox it is!
Epiphone Goth Les Paul Studio
Ibanez SA120
Peavey Raptor EXP
Takamine Electric Acoustic
Boss CS-3
Boss DD-6
Boss TU-2
Boss MT-2 (For use with my Vox)
MXR M-108 10-Band Eq
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Peavey JSX Head
Vox AD50VT
vox
<Raven> I got so baked last night
<Raven> that I WOKE UP high o_o
<Raven> Do you have any idea how euphoric that is?
<Raven> I felt like I was being born.
The thing is, the vox amp is the same price or higher then all the other amps, and is only 50 watts..?!?!
"Music is like religion to me. There'll be music in the hereafter too..." -- Jimi Hendrix

Although a solid-state, 50W is louder than you'll ever need, and if you did, just mic it and use a PA.

EDIT: Also theres a reason why its equally expensive as louder amps, its much better.
Traynor YCS-50>EHX SMM w/ Hazarai>EHX DMM>EHX Holy Grail>EHX Small Stone>EHX Big Muff PI (NY)>EHX Pulsar>Ibanez TS-9DX>Echo Park>Ibanez Vintage Tubeking>Fulltone OCD>Zvex Fuzz Factory> Roto-Machine>Fulltone Wah>MJM London Fuzz>Fender Strat
Last edited by HeartInACage at Aug 27, 2006,
lol 100% for the vox so far...
~The Gear~
Schecter Hellraiser
Ibanez RG 550
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960 4x12
VHT Two/Fifty/Two
ADA-MP1
Eventide Eclipse
still 100% haha
1993 Jackson Dinky Professional XL (shred)
Modified Squier Strat (blues and anything)
Vox Valvetronix AD30VT
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Dunlop Original Crybaby GCB-95
50 whats is a lot of power for minor gigs so you shouldn't be worried about that. I would go try 'em out and buy the one that you like best. Amps are all about sound and what sounds best to you is whats best for you.
Fender Highway One Stratocaster
Seagull S6+Cedar
Yamaha Pacifica
Epiphone Valve Special
Boss OD-3
Boss DS-1
Dunlop Jimi Hendrix Wah
I can't try them out, I'm ordering them online because it's way cheaper then my local music store. Plus, my local music store doesn't carry most of these amps anyways, So when I make my final choice, I'll be basing it your guys opinions and audio sample from the internet.

Also, for the record, I play songs by all types of bands. For example, death cab for cutie, taking back sunday, patrick park, modest mouse, nirvana, black label society, james blunt, etc. You see what I'm saying. I need something that'll cover all the bases.

The Vox is a tube amp. It has a 12AX7 in the power amp. Do some research. I have the AD30 and its absolutely brilliant. Plus a tube 30w is way louder then a solid-state 30w. GET IT!
As a matter of fact I did do some research, and I was under the impression that the Vox AD series were solidstate amplifiers that were designed to mimic the sound of a tube amp. Can anybody clarify this situation?

Quote by johnmalkin
The Vox is a tube amp. It has a 12AX7 in the power amp. Do some research. I have the AD30 and its absolutely brilliant. Plus a tube 30w is way louder then a solid-state 30w. GET IT!

It's still more solid-state than anything.

I know this isn't what you want to hear, but I would definitely save up another $150-$200 and get a used tube combo.
You can get a tube combo for that price.
I got a Peavey Classic 30 for 320 bucks used. You just need to shop around and not get anal retentive about a few dings and scratchs here and there.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
Quote by teenage_cobain
I can't try them out, I'm ordering them online because it's way cheaper then my local music store. Plus, my local music store doesn't carry most of these amps anyways, So when I make my final choice, I'll be basing it your guys opinions and audio sample from the internet.

I would wait till you have an opportunity to go to a bigger city and try em out. Audio samples are not the same.
Fender Highway One Stratocaster
Seagull S6+Cedar
Yamaha Pacifica
Epiphone Valve Special
Boss OD-3
Boss DS-1
Dunlop Jimi Hendrix Wah
i got 2 used peavey classic 30s for $100 each

edit: my post was seeming a little spammy so id like to add this: because i got such a deal on the peaveys, maybe you can too. look for a peavey classic 30. its a very nice amp. although my clean channel is not working...i think its just a pot though. i got it for 100 and i had to retube it after about a year. the other needs some work on it though. it doesnt make any sound. lol. when i get some money imma get it up and working again
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Last edited by InanezGuitars44 at Aug 27, 2006,
for that price, you can get good used tube combos. much better.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!