I'm convinced not to buy a beginner pack. Can someone help help me build a setup for 200-300 dollars? thanks
No. Those two are much better than what comes in a pack, believe you me. You might want second opinions, though. I know they're good, but there might be better. For the price, of course.
"Chuck-E-Cheese called. They want their band back."
Where do you live, because if you live in the US then try out Rondomusic.net . They have some very cheap, but very good guitars. Don't be afraid of them, the only reason why they are so cheap is because they are a no-name brand and Rondo is the only place that sells them.
Guitars
Agile 3100 CSB
ESP MH400 w/ Trem-Setter
Epi G-310
Applause Acoustic

Amps
1968 Fender Vibrochamp - Great amp, only $100 fixxer-upper
Line 6 Spider II

REMEMBER, ALL TONE IS SUBJECTIVE!
are yamahas good? doesn't seem like people talk about them much...
Last edited by altezza at Aug 27, 2006,
Because nobody submitted a review?

Edit - Doublepost for the win.
dont get a pack, i made that mistake...

go for a guitar that you can play in a store, in the 200 dollar range. what kind of music do you play

the music style will affect what amp to go after too
i wanna play rock, breaking benjamin is my favorite banndddd. for amp i'm thinking of that
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Roland-Cube-15-1x8-15W-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=480022

i'm still can't decide on a guitar though...
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-EC50-Electric-Guitar?sku=516672
that one any good?
i also like that yamaha one in previous posts.

should i look under "best selling" or "customer reviews" ?

edit: acually the yamaha pacific 112j seems pretty nice too...
Last edited by altezza at Aug 27, 2006,
that setup that you picked out is very nice.......ive got the roland cube 15 and its awesome and the esps kick ass.....ive got one and most of the time they are flawless....very good quality
the yamaha is probably made of better wood so i would get that
My Rig
>MIM Fender Stratocaster and SX SJM-62
>various magicial noise boxes
>Peavey Classic 50 212

For the funk:
>Ibanez ATK300
>Acoustic B100
Actually I think the Yammy is made of agithis, but don't quote me on it.
If you could blow up the world with a flick of a switch,
Would you do it?

If you could make everybody poor just so you could be rich,
Would you do it?

With all your power,
What would you do?
Incidentially, agathis and mahogany are probably the best choices for rock. I'd go for agathis.

P.S. - With that spelling, I wouldn't quote you on ANYTHING.
hmmm... That ESP has blissful pickups, wonderful clean or distorted but I found the neck profile to be horrifically "slow" and anti-confiedence inspiring. But that's just me I guess...

Let me see what I can do in that price range....

Amp:Vox Pathfinder 10
---I know the Rolands have the reputation here, and I might really be spewing bull **** since I've never played one but I've jammed through this amp for well over and hour and it's tone rivals amps costing 2-3 times as much (in my experence). The gain on it goes from twangy, almost country-styled, to roaring dirtyness that's just so very good. I guess you'd have to play with the EQ though, it can sound like **** with the wrong settings.

Guitars: Actually, one the choices so far are better than anything I could comb up. I'd look at used guitars locally with someone who's played for a year or two though, because you can nail a good deal that way. I have a friend who picked up a fat strat with a Seymour Duncan in the bridge for under $200 at a local place used. The thing has some minor issues (the trem's been bolted down and it looks sorta eh) but it's twice the player/ sound than other guitars in the price range. Well and that ESP has fantastic pickups, I've never really been all the impressed with Yamaha's myself...
hmmm...the yamaha is made out of a alder and the esp is made out of agathis, how does the wood affect the playing? i'm new to all this >_< . what other choices are there other than these 2...i don't think i want a squier tho from everything i've been reading, i'm not so sure about epiphone.
Quote by altezza
hmmm...the yamaha is made out of a alder and the esp is made out of agathis, how does the wood affect the playing? i'm new to all this >_< . what other choices are there other than these 2...i don't think i want a squier tho from everything i've been reading, i'm not so sure about epiphone.

Epi is okay for starts, just plan to replace the pickups somewhere down the road. In fact, with the right hums in it, an Epi can scream right up with Gibson.
the ones on my list (now):

esp ec-50 - 200 bucks
yamaha pacific 112j - 200 bucks
ibanez grx20 - 150 bucks!!
epiphone g-310 sg- 200 bucks

i'm pretty sure i got my amp in mind: roland cube 15 w -95 bucks

still wanna somthing i will not regret >_<

also, does anyone know when the "no shipping fee" on musician's friend ends?
The microcube is actually a better amp than the Cube 15.
I will show you something different from either
Your shadow in the morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you
I will show you fear in a handful of dust
ESP LTD 50 series are great beginner guitars... solid, great, good, good, good, great, solid, good guitars.
If you use that '>_<' face again, you won't live long enough to enjoy your new guitar.
Quote by invisible_man
The microcube is actually a better amp than the Cube 15.

is the microcube really necessary tho? i'm just a beginner i don't need it to be that big and powerful.

and whats the difference between the esp LTD and the non LTD
Quote by altezza
is the microcube really necessary tho? i'm just a beginner i don't need it to be that big and powerful.

and whats the difference between the esp LTD and the non LTD

The microcube is actually smaller , no worries there.

LTD is ESPs (relatively) low-end line. non-LTD ESPs are very expensive.
Quote by God Am
If you use that '>_<' face again, you won't live long enough to enjoy your new guitar.

alright tough guy, thanks for the advice!
Quote by invisible_man
The microcube is actually smaller , no worries there.

LTD is ESPs (relatively) low-end line. non-LTD ESPs are very expensive.

how much w does the microcube have? and whats the real difference between that and the normal cube?

i narrowed it downn to...
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-EC50-Electric-Guitar?sku=516672
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-G310-SG-Electric-Guitar?sku=518280
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-GRX20-Electric-Guitar?sku=519417
Last edited by altezza at Aug 28, 2006,
Quote by altezza

The microcube is only 2 watts (don't worry, it sounds more like a 15W). It has all the regular cube features (besides EQ, but don't worry about it). It's actually the cube 15 which is different than the "normal" cubes, it doesn't have onboard effects or the same modelled amps.

I'd avoid that Epiphone. "Hardwood" body = . If you can afford to spend a tiny bit more, http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-RG321-Electric-Guitar?sku=512492

It's a very good guitar all around, not just a good beginner's guitar.
Quote by invisible_man
The microcube is only 2 watts (don't worry, it sounds more like a 15W). It has all the regular cube features (besides EQ, but don't worry about it). It's actually the cube 15 which is different than the "normal" cubes, it doesn't have onboard effects or the same modelled amps.

I'd avoid that Epiphone. "Hardwood" body = . If you can afford to spend a tiny bit more, http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-RG321-Electric-Guitar?sku=512492

It's a very good guitar all around, not just a good beginner's guitar.

whats wrong with hardwood?
what do u guys think is the best one for 200 bucks? the ibanez rg321 seems awesome but i just can't afford it... any others good?
Yamaha FTW!

Or rondomusic.net if you live in the US.

ESP: agathis body = plywood.

This might help too: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=328491

DAVE_mc's #3 Electric Guitar Info commandement:

3: Thou shalt not buy a guitar made of a crap wood (agathis, plywood, etc.).

The quality of the wood in your guitar is the next most important (from a modding point of view, at least- it?ll sound good with a pickup change, for example). Alder, mahogany, ash and basswood and maple are all good woods. Agathis (generally) and plywood are not. Bear in mind wood can be of different quality, even of the same species. You can upgrade things like tuners and pickups a lot easier than you can upgrade the wood your guitar is made of!
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Last edited by aznrockerdude at Aug 28, 2006,