i have a bc rich warlock and are considering emg 81s but the body is agathis.what kind of sound can i expect i play mainly metal,metalcore and hardcore.or should i forget emgs altogether ?
I'd avoid doing that, you're much better off buying a cheap guitar made out of decent wood and putting EMGs into it.
what type of wood works best with emgs for the sound im after ? i have another guitar made of hardwood but i hear thats not much better.what type of pickups can sound good with agathis ?
you said you play mainly metal? The 81's are pretty top notch lead pups, they can sound very bright. But yeh, mahog bodies generaly give a bassier tone.
Quote by the agony scene
but ive heard any actives will sound **** with mahoganny is this true?

where you hear that? So not true lol, i have an esp mh-1000, emg's and mahog, sounds bad ass.
Mahogany or Alder is your best bet for EMG's. Mahogany sounds better in general.

But you will get the best sound through a tube amp. Take that into consideration too.
- FJ

Quote by Landover Baptist Church
If you find [balloons in his bedroom], it is a sign that Satan may have taken your child by the hand and skipped off together to see the movie, Up without your knowledge.

**** i meant to put agathis instead of mahog sorry.so it should have read "i heard actives sound **** with agathis is this true?"
yea i want to avoid getting a new guitar because i like the looks sound and feel of the warlock.what amp would u reccomend people have suggested a marshall dfx 250
i have a bc rich warlock and are considering emg 81s but the body is agathis.what kind of sound can i expect i play mainly metal,metalcore and hardcore.or should i forget emgs altogether ?

Here is an example of what you can expect:

forget modding your guitar. read this first.
http://ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=328491

its long, but its important.
Fender Mex Cyclone HH
**ZOOM G7.1ut**
Yamaha COD-100 Overdrive
Big Muff Pi USA
Danelectro Chorus
Behringer EQ
Dinosaur Heavy Metal

member #4 of the "can't we forget about punk, emo, metal, and all the other subgenres and just ROCK?" group