I have a crate 15 watt right now, and I need a nice little amp for small gigs for replacement so I can save up for a half stack or a nice combo. Will 30 Watt be loud enough for small gigs, plus will there be much differnce between 15 watts and 30 watts? Please help! Thanks, -James
Depends 30 watt tube or ss? Ss, might be pushing it but definetly needed to be miked, tube probably miked too but would be better.
George W. Bush for President 2012

We can do it if we work together!
30 watts may still not be enough for small gigs. I have a 30watt fender amp that I use just for band practices... I'm easily heard. For gigs though I'd say you'd need at least 60+ watts

edit: for solid state amps
Last edited by aseme at Aug 27, 2006,
why does everyone say that you need at least 50W? my Mg15DFX was great on some shows, I cranked it but it overpowererd the drums and other instruments.
strat player forever.
Quote by GuitarBoy-IL
why does everyone say that you need at least 50W? my Mg15DFX was great on some shows, I cranked it but it overpowererd the drums and other instruments.

I don't believe you. Maybe you were overpowering acoustic guitars and electronic drums that weren't plugged into an amp.
30 watts solid-state should be enough to hear you self, but you might need to mic it if you want to be heard clearly out in the audience. What's your budget?
If you could blow up the world with a flick of a switch,
Would you do it?

If you could make everybody poor just so you could be rich,
Would you do it?

With all your power,
What would you do?
There are many semi-pro club players out there using small boutique amps, I'm talking 12-18w tube amps, with 2x12 and 4x12 cabs for venues. If you're thinking 30w tube, that's probably plenty for a lot of gigs. You can always mic your amp or run direct to the sound board for large venues.

Your choice will be determined also by the type of music you play and how loud the rest of your band is. For modern rock or metal I'd probably go with 30-50w tube or at least 50w ss. For blues/classic rock the 12, 15, 18, 22w amps would all rock.
Also, you need to consider your budget. There aren't many 30w rock and metal tube amps for much under $500. You could go with a hybrid like the Cube or Vox Ad series, but you may want to head all the way to a higher powered SS like the Randall RG amps.
It's a fine line between clever and stupid.