thats the most ridiculous thing ive heard, dont be a tight wad and just buy some
Quote by trigs
thats the most ridiculous thing ive heard, dont be a tight wad and just buy some

No it isn't. Boiling old strings brings back the original tone in them and cleans them.
it seems like a good idewa at first... but after i think about its crazy

buy a new one. its like 5-20$
Fender Mex Cyclone HH
**ZOOM G7.1ut**
Yamaha COD-100 Overdrive
Big Muff Pi USA
Danelectro Chorus
Behringer EQ
Dinosaur Heavy Metal

member #4 of the "can't we forget about punk, emo, metal, and all the other subgenres and just ROCK?" group
Quote by trigs

That's the most ridiculous thing i've heard, don't be a dickwad and learn to accept new visions and learn new things.
well... wont the water make the strings rust?

even if it doesnt rust, youll have to cut the string to take the string off the guitar/bass. how are you supposed to restring the guitar/bass when its cut and short?
Fender Mex Cyclone HH
**ZOOM G7.1ut**
Yamaha COD-100 Overdrive
Big Muff Pi USA
Danelectro Chorus
Behringer EQ
Dinosaur Heavy Metal

member #4 of the "can't we forget about punk, emo, metal, and all the other subgenres and just ROCK?" group
Quote by zoltan256
well... wont the water make the strings rust?

even if it doesnt rust, youll have to cut the string to take the string off the guitar/bass. how are you supposed to restring the guitar/bass when its cut and short?

you dont HAVE to cut them

you can just take them out the same way you stringed them, i always take them out like this, I dont like cutting them

as for the boiling, it doesnt seem a bad idea, is good that you save money, with a 100$ you can buy a decent pedal

just try for 2 minutes first, 5 minutes , then 10, and so on....

TG
Fighting for peace, is like screwing for virginity

Screw you Waldo, go find yourself!!!!
boil them medium heat for 5 minutes...see how they look remember they are metal so once u take em out dry em off u dnt want them to oxidize and wht not
Quote by Muphin
Jupiter is a fat bitch. We should nuke it.

jersey girls arent trash ...trash gets picked up
staten island doesnt really exist its just a reflection of the fumes from jersey on the water caused by the movement of the sun
I have never heard of that in my life.
But, make sure the water boiling, and i would do it for about 10 minutes, then take them out, dry them, and let them sit for a bit.
"Insecticon" of the Predacons Beast Wars Club
PM NightmareXT To Join!

You make me feel
Like a dog, you can see, my emotions
Is this for real, i'm a man
Sinking deep, in the ocean
how are you supposed to restring the guitar/bass when its cut and short?

thats what i thought....but i suppose its possible, but honestly a good set of strings is like $7. i dont see why you would go through the effort. and even if 100 can buy you a good pedal, making 100 off of saved strings would take a looooong time, given that you should only replace strings every 3 months or so...and i think boiling strings to keep them good for a year isnt a good idea anyway.

AS
Quote by Shib
I am sure haveing the stove on + water will take up like 7$ anyways..

It isn't worth the effort..

but what if he buys the best/most expensive strings, or wherever he lives is hard to get them, or he would just like to try for an emergengy ocattion?

TG
Fighting for peace, is like screwing for virginity

Screw you Waldo, go find yourself!!!!
I've only been playing bass for half a year and guitar in genral for about a year. I can't believe the amount of people that haven't heard of boiling bass strings!

I haven't tried it but I would presume yes you would have to dry them after so they don't rust
Quote by Crimsonashes
boil them medium heat for 5 minutes...see how they look remember they are metal so once u take em out dry em off u dnt want them to oxidize and wht not

LOL theres no medium heat boil, theres boil or not boil
Bass players do this all the time. And to the spoiled rich critics, bass strings cost alot more than guitar strings.

Interesting fact, Eddie Van Halen used to boil his strings to get them to stretch out and broken in before he plays that night so they won't go out of tune

Bry
Quote by wylde_overdrive
Large Brownie Batter Blizzard with chunks of brownie. *Dairy product orgasm*

Yes, i'm fat
Quote by kurosawa
LOL theres no medium heat boil, theres boil or not boil

LOL I was going to say the same thing...Water boils at 100 degrees Celsius.
Wouldn't boiling your strings eventually wear them extremely thin (after several times of doing so) and cause the guitar to go out of tune/break easily?

I have never heard of boiling strings before, but it seems logical to do so.
Where are you guys getting $7 from? A good set of bass strings costs between $40 - $70 Australian..
ESP H-300 (EMG81/85)
Ibanez RG570
Ashton VP30
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CE-5
Boss DS-2
Behringer EQ-700
Member #12 of the "Use Your Fucking Dictionary Club." PM Dæmönika to join.
Mr T of the Avatar A-Team.
Quote by Superpartydude5
So does this work with guitar strings to then, or just bass strings?

ONLY bass guitar strings are to thin that just snape when u put them back on and dude this is a great idea boiling the strings works ( and btw it is easier to take them off then to cut them off!!)
[highlight]MY GUITAR[/highlight]
Quote by TheAmaranth
I once broke a G-String while fingering an A minor.

A recent study shows that 92% of all teenagers have moved on to rap music. Put this in your sig if you are one of the 8% who stayed with real music.
Use denatured alcohol. Cleans them better, doesn't rust them.

:Edit: Don't boil the alcohol!
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.