Page 1 of 2
So, in your opinion, what is the ultimate punk guitar (i.e., most iconic, best tone, most used in punk bands, etc.)? There's lots of ways to critique them, but I'd probably stick with best tone and most used. My choice has to go to either the Telecaster or an SG. I haven't been on UG in over a month, so if this has been done, let me know.
Everything I say is a lie. Is this true or false? Ha! I made that up!
i personaly hate sg's and hav been playin fenders my entire life so im gona hav 2 say get fender mustang
#18 Ramones Worshipper RAMONES PM hardrock1315 to join.

reality is only an illusion created by lack of alcohol

emo is punk on estragen
^ Yeah... He's right, because Mustangs are awesome.

Personally because of my love of Tele's I think they're perfect for ANY form of music, if it involves guitar you can use a Tele or some variation on them.
A Danelectro.

Everybody important in punk seemed to have started on a Danelectro even if they stopped using them.
Any guitar that's out of tune
WARNING:This post contains explicit portrayals of violence; sex; violent sex; sexual violence; clowns and violent scenes of violent excess, which are definitely not suitable for all audiences.
Quote by Iluvpowerchords
A Danelectro.

Everybody important in punk seemed to have started on a Danelectro even if they stopped using them.

My first guitar is a danelectro
Did someone say keytar!?
Quote by CowsWithGuns
I've been busy getting drunk and yelling at endangered species for being pussies. It's a dehydrating job but someone has to do it.
i would actually would like to know what guitar gang green uses on preschool, or what the partisans use on that one song, so neat.
Quote by sargasm
My first guitar is a danelectro

I wish that was my first guitar.

My first guitar was a crate... actually, it's still my guitar.

I think it's pretty ****ing punk.

it's got a **** ton more stickers on it now... that was a few years back. I covered up the Bud Cramer one with a Holy **** and Can Kickers one.
HELP ME I'M TRAPPED IN A HUMAN BODY!
Quote by whyvern

Mos-def. I love The ampeg dan armstrong. Graham melts faces with it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iW3-ssDO0Ww

I have some pretty punk guitars.

EDIT: I have a late 50's gibson SG junior(belonged to shaun filly from annihilation time while he was in the 90's hardcore band Gordon solie motherfu*kers)

And a 1964 fender jaguar.
Last edited by LoudnSnotty138 at Aug 27, 2006,
Those Ventures guitars eastwood make are complete ****e. I tried one on thursday through the ultimate test - a fender twin reverb.

The best punk guitar is the Johnny Skull**** guitar.
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Those Ventures guitars eastwood make are complete ****e. I tried one on thursday through the ultimate test - a fender twin reverb.

Exactly.

The ultimate punk guitar will be my bastardized p-90 strat when I'm done with it!
I'm using a Schecter S-1 right now, I can get a tele or a les paul (and a lot of other guitar tones inbetween) out of it. It's pretty versatile, I really don't need any other guitar.
Quote by newyorkdolls138
Semi-Hollow/Hollow bodies

Chuck berry bitch.

UP DA HOLLOWBODY PUNX!

I use a hollowbody for punk too, an Epiphone Dot.
Quote by LoudnSnotty138
My 1956 Gibson SG. Formaly owned by shaun filly of Annihilation time.

I've played one of those before and I've never got it to make the sounds I wanted it to with my amp.
Quote by whyvern
I've played one of those before and I've never got it to make the sounds I wanted it to with my amp.

What amp do you have, and what sounds are you looking for?
Quote by whyvern

Thats why i love haveing a lab series amp they can get tone from anything. I prefer the SG to play hardcore but when we do pop-punk or folky type things i like to use my jaguar but i find i can get good enough tone with the SG.
Quote by hardrock1315
What amp do you have, and what sounds are you looking for?

I have a Marshall AVT150X, at the time I wanted a good clean sound like Onion Flavored Ringsish but I was in a hurry because it was in the middle of the set and I was borrowing Thomas Function's guitar. They do sound a bit better with distortion on them and I'd probably use it for the distorted stuff I'm playing now or later Nestor Makhno. Once we added the bass, the guitar had more freedom to evolve I think. I dunno. We only played like 4 shows with a bass but in those 4 shows our sound changed alot.

I love how my marshall sounds with my ****ty ass guitar, and whenever I use a higher end guitar, I don't like the sound as much (maybe I need to play around with the EQ a bit more and mess with the tone on the guitar). Right now I play my crate and a wierd-ass looking guitar that my bassist bought for 20 bucks to smash but liked how it look too much so we fixed it. It doesn't have any markings on it. It looks badass though.
I've got a Telecaster and a Fat Strat. Plugged into my pawn shop Marshall MG100, they have a great punk sound.

Ampeg recently reissued the Dan Armstrong Plexi guitars, but they're still hell of expensive.
Last edited by pinheadslts75 at Aug 29, 2006,
I too have a hollow body arch top.

Best for punk and ska in my opinion is a stratocaster. I have like 5 different ones including a Hello Kitty-for uber punx
Quote by hardrock1315
UP DA HOLLOWBODY PUNX!

I use a hollowbody for punk too, an Epiphone Dot.

I have a white dot studio.
Jizz is where it is
If you want additional help on tabs, guitar lessons, forums, getting drugs, or just a personal issue, DeSean is willing to help.

Voting for DeSean is a vote for yourself, together we can all win.
Quote by Anty 7
If you want additional help on tabs, guitar lessons, forums, getting drugs, or just a personal issue, DeSean is willing to help.

Voting for DeSean is a vote for yourself, together we can all win.

WARNED!

p.s. Yakult actually has a funny campaign, the rest are dumb.
Quote by CowsWithGuns
I've been busy getting drunk and yelling at endangered species for being pussies. It's a dehydrating job but someone has to do it.
if its punk it dont matter lol...maybe just some sh11ted up guitar with stickers and crap all over it..like an epiphone ((not les paul) or a fender jag stag..also a telecaster would be cool for punk rock...(<<the clash)
alter your mind.
I used LP copy for years. Finally got some cash and was gonna get SG, but got LP studio instead. Happy with it though.
There are a few Mostrite copies that are good; Wilson Bros and Dipinto both make solid Mosrite type guitars.

The ultimate punk guitar? I suppose there isn't just one but there are several iconic models.

Dano DC2
Mosrite
Tele

Any guitar can be a great punk vehicle. Johnny Thunders played an old Falcon. Ron Asheton is now playing a Reverend Jetstream 390.
It's a fine line between clever and stupid.
Page 1 of 2