im in a band with musicians many years ahead of me musically. I am supposed to be the lead guitar (1 1/2 years playing) and i was wondering what tips you have for me to help my band

thx
Quote by XaosKnight
I quote myself
Why would they make you lead guitarist if they are ahead of you musically? The lead guitarist should be the one that is best with music not the worst. You should talk with your band and switch places with your rythme guitarist(if you have one) because you shouldn't be a lead guitarist with only 1 1/2 years experience, that's my advice.
i wanna be lead guitar lol, but i guess you guys are right
Quote by XaosKnight
I quote myself
well, heres what i heard from Mimi Fox, or Matt Heafy. or someone in guitar world

all you need to do is master your scales. as long as you hit the right note in the right key, you cant go wrong, and when you get more comfortable you can start to incorporate bends, slides, etc. just keep at it and it will come naturally.

and as a personal tip, i find a lot of the premier Jam bands (Govt mule, Allman Bros.) stick between frets 5 and 9 a lot....i dont really know why, but hitting 5s 7s and 9s can get you some decendt entry level jamming.

AS
Quote by Andrew Zara
Why would they make you lead guitarist if they are ahead of you musically? The lead guitarist should be the one that is best with music not the worst. You should talk with your band and switch places with your rythme guitarist(if you have one) because you shouldn't be a lead guitarist with only 1 1/2 years experience, that's my advice.

Listen to this guy.
Are you in some sort of jam band or something? If you only have 1.5 years under your belt your gonna have trouble jamming with really experienced guys as theyll probably be changing keys all over the place and stuff like that. Youd have to know do to be able to play over teh chord changes.
George W. Bush for President 2012

We can do it if we work together!
okay. tips.

go out and jam. organize practices and play around. yeah, sure, learn to solo, but who cares about that really? what is your band planning on doing? are you singing as well? what is more important for your band, solid groove, or flashy solo?

set priorities for your band, not just your role in the band.

cheers.

~Jazkel24~
Resident Melbournian of the AUSTRALIA FTW! Club. PM the_random_hero or Alter-Bridge to join. Australians only.
Yooo man just play music and try to learn something from the people your jamming with I'm guessing if your in the band its ether because everyone sucks or you have some kind of talent
Quote by AvngdSvnfold
all you need to do is master your scales. as long as you hit the right note in the right key, you cant go wrong

as much as i cringe at this oversimplification, i do admit it's a great place to start. learn the correct scales for a given chord progression, and familiarize yourself with how certain notes work over certain chords. also know where the root note is! this gives you tonal center and a sense of where you are. and start with just the pentatonic scales: major pent for major keys, minor pent for minor keys and blues. these scales are basically idiot-proof--you can pretty much be all over the scale and still be hitting notes in the chords.