well, we have an over rated, so why not? this isnt the same as the bassist NOONE ever mentions thread though, you can say people who are posted a lot or a little. maybe this'll do some good actually, raise awareness of other bassists, not just trash ones that we all know.

for me, Brad Smith from Blind Melon and Gerald Reece.

This is Gerald Reece
Quote by Mr. T
"Mr. T defines love as the reluctance to murder. If you're still alive, it's because Mr. T loves you."
Eric Avery from Jane's Addiction. Awesome pick player, and complemented the band very well. Some JA fans go so far as to say that he was the most vital part of the bands sound; I'd agree with them. The fact that further JA reunions without him have been average to crap goes to show that even more. Im actually suprised he isn't mentioned here that often. Prolly cause kids here are too busy with their metal.

P-Nut from 311. He and drummer Chad Sexton make one of the tightest and best rythm sections in music. Period. Groovy, funkay, and rawk out loud with fingerstyle and slap/pop. Too bad all of 311's efforts after Soundsystem pretty much compromised the rythm section in favor of sappy crappy love songs and ballads.

Also I think this thread has been repeated before.
Once you get to the top, the only way to go is down.
Paul Gray lol you can't even hear the guy's basslines during the songs, so def. underrated
Quote by cptazad
Paul Gray lol you can't even hear the guy's basslines during the songs, so def. underrated

This doesn't explain if the guy is actually talented or not. Underrated bassists are those with talent who don't get as much recognition as they deserve, not just because you can't hear them.
I'd say Mike Watt. It would be false to say that he doesn't get any attention because he's got a pretty big following, but he doesn't seem to get talked about much. He's an awesome player.

For those who don't know, he's played with the Minutemen, fIREHOSE, Iggy and The Stooges and lots of other people. He also has solo material. Truly a great of the instrument.
Ryan Martini from Mudvayne. Hes one of the best bassists ive ever heard.
Epiphone Les Paul 100
Ibanez IJS40
Fender Acoustic
Ibanez Tone Blaster 100 Head
Hartke GH 412a Cab
Ibanez Weaping Demon
Boss Chromatic Tuner
Boss Noise Suppressor
cliff burton...that is if he had not died pple would not have paid attention to him...but he is very talented and has his own unique style
im not really into them, or know this as a fact but, i hear the guy from Cannibal Corpse is amazing. im not sure if he is under or over rated, though.
Quote by Gregray88
cliff burton...that is if he had not died pple would not have paid attention to him...but he is very talented and has his own unique style

To be honest I can't see what all the hoo-ah is with this guy. The only thing that has impressed me is his "pulling teeth" solo. In Master of Puppets he was pretty much burried in the mix, with the exception of a brief part of "Orion" and while it was good wasn't ZOMG BEST BASSIST EVAR!! Material. Im not saying you can't hear him in the mix, its just very hard, and most of the time he just seems to be following the guitars. Same with the stuff on Kill Em All and Ride the Lighting.
/\ SadisNation try not to post a name just to post one please. and cliff burton can be found quite a bit on this site, not sure if he'd qualify for the underrated bit. and i really hope the flea debate doesnt come here. really, dont mention flea, he's deffinately not underrated.
Quote by Mr. T
"Mr. T defines love as the reluctance to murder. If you're still alive, it's because Mr. T loves you."
Arif Mirabdolbaghi (Protest the Hero) is a really good bassist, although you can't really hear too much bass on their first full length Kezia. Also Timothy Ward from The Fall of Troy has some really cool basslines.
Tiger style.
search before you post. the overrated thread was based on the underrated thread that you're completly oblivious to right now.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=399135&highlight=underrated

closed.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!