I wanna get a cheap half stack but good sound and well made. I narrowed it down to like 3 amps, the Marhsall MG100HDFX half stack package, the Vox AD100VTH half stack package, and the B-52 100W 4x12 half stack. They're all around $600-$700. I play rock, punk, stuff like that. So, suggestions on which to buy?
None of them are worth your time or money. Trust me.

The MG is a terrible amp. Doesn't deserve to be called a Marshall.
As for the other two, as far as I know they're decent enough.... but you can do better for the money if you don't by a stack. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that you definately don't need a stack.

There is nothing wrong with a nice tube combo.
Gear:
Fender Standard Telecaster (Sunburst Finish)
Washburn X-Series Electric (Black Finish)
Ibanez Electric-Acoustic (Black Finish)
Ariana Acoustic

Randall RX120D Halfstack
if i were you id try to find a tube am in that range. you can find a good tube combo in that range easy. i dunno about a stack. i dont know about your playing situation right now, but you really might not need a stack
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
if you have your heart set on a stack, check out crate's blue voodoo. i have one, very reliable, and i'm able to dial in all kinds of tone.
www.purevolume.com/chops
GEAR:
Fender Custom Tele-
Invader (B)
ESP/LTD EC-400-
EMG 81 (B) / 60 (N)
DigiTech RP-200
Zakk Wylde OD
Boss Bf-2
MXR Phase 90
Crate Blue Voodoo 120 Half Stack
well, I was thinking about getting a tube amp in that range, but then I read that you have to do maintenance on it. Is it all that much that you have to do? And is it hard to do? If it's not that hard or cost much to maintain it I saw some Vox tube amps.
It's really not that bad. Most people say that tube amps are unreliable and need lots of maitenance, but they really aren't that bad. The most you would need to do is change the tubes every few years.
If you could blow up the world with a flick of a switch,
Would you do it?

If you could make everybody poor just so you could be rich,
Would you do it?

With all your power,
What would you do?
And what exactly do you do when you change the tubes? Do you have to take it somewhere to have that done?
That Vox you were looking at was probably the hybrid amp, and not fully tube. (it's a gimmik).

Unless of course it was $1500.
Gear:
Ariana Acoustic

Randall RX120D Halfstack
yeah, I think it was hybrid, most likely if it wasn't that price, umm, what would you suggest for that price range, I might consider $800 if it's a really nice one, I have a 10% thing for anything off musiciansfriend so I could probably get a $800, I'm only 16 and dont really have a job now so I need to spend wisely
I hear you. Well, what exactly do you play?

Bands, influences, etc.
Gear:
Ariana Acoustic

Randall RX120D Halfstack
Quote by punkrawkdude
And what exactly do you do when you change the tubes? Do you have to take it somewhere to have that done?

You need to buy new tubes, but changing them is literally as simple as changing a light bulb. Just pull them out using gentle but firm pressure and pop the new ones in.
If you could blow up the world with a flick of a switch,
Would you do it?

If you could make everybody poor just so you could be rich,
Would you do it?

With all your power,
What would you do?
Oh, yeah, I guess I forgot that, umm, Christian rock, punk, a lil hardcore, stuff like that. I found a Marshall AVT150X combo amplifier, it doesn't really say if it's all tube or not, but it's $699. But I'm open to all suggestions.
That's another hybrid amp.... but much worse than the Vox.

I'd suggest looking at a Peavey tube combo, possibly used. They'll have plenty of distortion for your style of music.

Maybe a Traynor YCV series. It will probably be able to handle your distortion needs.
Gear:
Ariana Acoustic

Randall RX120D Halfstack
ok, peavey looks good and I see b-52 tube combo that looks ok, so, I guess almost all tube amps are nice, right? I mean everyone always talks that they're a ton better than everything else, so, about every tube amp i could buy would be at least decent, right?
For the most part, any tube amp will sound better than a solid state amp. FOR THE MOST PART.
Gear:
Ariana Acoustic

Randall RX120D Halfstack
A good tube combo > a cheap halfstack

Traynor FTW
I will show you something different from either
Your shadow in the morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you
I will show you fear in a handful of dust
Marshall JCM combo.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by punkrawkdude
I wanna get a cheap half stack but good sound and well made. I narrowed it down to like 3 amps, the Marhsall MG100HDFX half stack package, the Vox AD100VTH half stack package, and the B-52 100W 4x12 half stack. They're all around $600-$700. I play rock, punk, stuff like that. So, suggestions on which to buy?

the b-52 100W tube head is pretty damn good actually. a poor man's rectifier. i forget what it's called. i think it's just named all tube 100 or is it the stealth?
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/B52-ST100A-100W-AllTube-Amplifier-Head?sku=481302
and you can still save a little more for a behringer cab. they are pretty decent.
Used JCM900 FTW.

You could probably afford a 212 with around 700 on ebay.

If not, hell, a 112 is just as good. :P Then later on you could buy a 412 and have a stack just like you wanted, and you'll have a kickass amp that's EXTREMELY versatile. And, if you're in a band, you could just lug the combo around for practice.

Also, get the 50W. 100W tube is kind of overkill.
Quote by rocknrollgod
well i can tall you this much do NOT get a marshall MG. becasue you will blow the speaker with duncans in the guitar. i know for experience.

Quote by Gutch220
Leave it to UGer's to argue over who "owns" a language

Tube amps do require maitenance and care but for the tone you'll be getting, you won't be complaining. You'll have to change your tubes at least every year and a half (and a full set can run you between $40 and $80 depending on how many tubes the amp uses). You'll also need to become familiar with switching out fuses in case you blow one, bring the amp to techs for biasing, transport the amp with added care, and be sure not to turn the amp on and off constantly. A lot of general maitenance procedures are necessary and it can become confusing at first but it will become second nature very quickly.
Gibson SG Standard
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Fulltone OCD
EH Holy Grail
Does anyone else think there should be a

"so you're a noob and want a half-stack eh?"

sticky thread?

Becasue this sort of question comes up litereally every five minutes, and the answer is always

"Buy a tube combo"

. . .

anyone?
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
Quote by hamish5178
Does anyone else think there should be a

"so you're a noob and want a half-stack eh?"

sticky thread?

Becasue this sort of question comes up litereally every five minutes, and the answer is always

"Buy a tube combo"

. . .

anyone?

Sounds good to me! Also I think there should be something done about threads about "what string gauge do I use?" or "what pick size should I use?" because the answer is always "it comes down to personal preference."
Gibson SG Standard
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Fulltone OCD
EH Holy Grail
Umm, I found a tube half stack in musiciansfriend by peavey, it's evidentally new to the site, it's like $700-$800 for the head and cab, but as you guys said, a good combo amp is probably better than a half stack. Have any of you ever played the B-52 tube combo? It looks quite nice in my opinion and it's like $700-800, it's on musiciansfriend.
i think the best tube stack for the price is the randall RH50T
50 watts tube is more than enough, and its pretty inexpensive
Quote by ImSheddingSkin
your avatar rules
I'm not really looking into Randall, they're more metal sounding mostly, aren't they? And I really don't need a tube stack, I'll do with a nice tube combo, cuz most likely if I get a tube combo for the same price as a tube stack, the combo's better, but I may be wrong,
Quote by punkrawkdude
Umm, I found a tube half stack in musiciansfriend by peavey,

whats it called?
Christian rock, mixed with hardcore?

I shudder to think what that means.

But on-topic, that Peavey Windsor hasn't been proven yet, so I won't recommend it.

I will, however, recommend you look for a Peavey Classic 30, Fender Hot Rod, or Traynor YCV50Blue.
I'm with Hamish on this one.

And Randall is suited more towards metal in most cases.... however, I get quite a nice indie rock tone from mine.

Surprisingly.
Gear:
Ariana Acoustic

Randall RX120D Halfstack
the peavey half-stack thingy is the winsor stuff, oh, and danno, you know under0ath right? That would be christian hardcore. I think it was fisher that recommended the peavey valveking, I'm still lookin at that, but have either of you played or heard the b-52 tube combo? Umm, musiciansfriend has it, it'd be product #481309 if you don't know what Im' talking about.
The B-52 is okay... nothing to write home about, though. I guess the only reason you'd need it would be for headroom, since it really lacked balls when I played it.

The Valveking is a bit better, but it's still a little boring.

To be honest, at that price range, the best tone is gonna come from mid-high end SS combos and low-watt tube combos.
Alright, I guess I've probably got enough info about tube vs. solid state now, I guess now it just comes down to best value or whatever, thanks though
Quote by Danno13
The B-52 is okay... nothing to write home about, though. I guess the only reason you'd need it would be for headroom, since it really lacked balls when I played it.

you probably tried a bad one. the one i tried made me happy in pants.

seriously, go try one out (TS)
you shouldnt need to put CHEAP and HALFSTACK in the same senetence. You have other optoins, like a GOOD TUBE COMBO. I garuantee that youll be cooler with a good tube combo, than a cheap halstack. Dont get caught up in the hype,

though i heard some decent things about teh b-52. Id say of all the chocies you listed the b-52 takes it.
http://www.theweekendkids.com

Gibson Les Paul Studio w/dirtyfingers pickups
Gibson Joan Jett Melody Maker
VOX ac30 head
Marshall 1960 4x12 cab
Fender Hot Rod Deville
peavey windsor!..

im curious on how they sound and how reliable they are tho, i guess i better get one myself too.
Fender CIJ Mustang
Fender Jagstang
Fender MIM Custom Telecaster
Fender MIM Strat
Peavey Classic 50 2x12
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Fender PT-100 Tuner
Boss SD-1
EH Small Clone
Vox Wah
Digitech Digidelay
as for the B-52 you were looking at if it's the one i think it is then it sux don't waste your time with it my friend has one and it's just plain crap
if at first you dont succeed....FAILURE MUST BE YOUR STYLE