Well I can't really pick and/or strum that great without restling my pinky on the bottom of the humbucker and is this like a really bad habit i should drop soon or is it not that big of a deal. If it is a really bad habit what is a better way that i could rest my picking hand. Also I mostly play metalcore and stuff so I need to have the best technique to go very fast. Thank you.
It's called anchoring, and apparently, on this forum, it's akin to eating babies.

Do whatever feels comfortable.
Posers are like punks, except they do it for fashion

notUG PUNK FORUM PRESIDENT!
Probably the best way of resting your hand is to put just the side and rest it right behind the bridge. It's a very convienent way of playing and allows quick access to palm muting.
As for the way you're anchoring your pinky on one of your pickups, I would change that. I used to play like that about 3 months ago until my guitar teacher showed me this way. At first it was a little uncomfortable, but so is everything new.
Trust me. Once you get used to this method, it should make everything a bit easier and allow you to pick faster later down the road.
Member of the 'Guitarists Born In 1991' Club. PM Greendayguitar, gdm09 or blues_rocker to join.

-Gibson LP Classic
-Fender American Standard Strat
-Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
-Peavey XXX w/Marshall Cab
Last edited by schecter1971 at Aug 28, 2006,
Quote by Johnljones7443
^The best way to anchor is not to anchor.

DAMN STRAIGHT!!
[highlight]MY GUITAR[/highlight]
Quote by TheAmaranth
I once broke a G-String while fingering an A minor.

A recent study shows that 92% of all teenagers have moved on to rap music. Put this in your sig if you are one of the 8% who stayed with real music.
Most people on this forum will tell you not to anchor, but I always have. When I heard how bad anchoring was i went and started looking at all the videos I could of up close shots on the picking hand of famous guitarists, just to see if they anchor. I take achieving speed very seriously so I'm trying to learn to play both ways and going with whatevers fastest; but, believe it or not, through my "research" I'm quite sure that both Yngwie Malmsteen and John Petrucci tend to play anchored, so I encourage you to try both ways, but I don't believe theres anything really "wrong" with anchoring.
Quote by Superpartydude5
Most people on this forum will tell you not to anchor, but I always have. When I heard how bad anchoring was i went and started looking at all the videos I could of up close shots on the picking hand of famous guitarists, just to see if they anchor. I take achieving speed very seriously so I'm trying to learn to play both ways and going with whatevers fastest; but, believe it or not, through my "research" I'm quite sure that both Yngwie Malmsteen and John Petrucci tend to play anchored, so I encourage you to try both ways, but I don't believe theres anything really "wrong" with anchoring.

non-achoring is just easier and is a lot faster it doesnt matter how many "famous" ppl play that way it is how he wants to play and thats it !!
[highlight]MY GUITAR[/highlight]
Quote by TheAmaranth
I once broke a G-String while fingering an A minor.

A recent study shows that 92% of all teenagers have moved on to rap music. Put this in your sig if you are one of the 8% who stayed with real music.
Quote by Superpartydude5

It has nothing to do with speed. Anchoring increases tension in your wrist and can cause damage to it.