Page 1 of 2
How Good am I'?? Here is some background info.
I have been playing for 3 years. I have been in 1 competition. This was Guitarmagedon 2006 King of the Blues Competition at Guitar Center. I got 3rd outta 10 People in the store competition. unfortunatly, I had to get 1st or 2nd to move on to the next round. I got the most applause. I have a video I will try and put on.

I have played in front of a crowd about 5 times.

Here is a list of songs I can completely play:
One, Enter Sandman, Master of Puppets, No Leaf Clover-Metallica

The entire Back and Black, For Those About To Rock, and The Razors Edge Albums, and a bunch more AC/DC.

Purple Haze, Fire, The Wind Cries Mary, and Foxey Lady-Jimi Hendirx

Crossfire, Riviera Paradise, Change It, Couldnt Stand the Weather-Stevie Ray Vaughan

Stairway To Heaven, Whole Lotta Love, Black Dog- Led Zep.

Thats all I can think of off the top of my head. There is more.

I have played in front of another guitar player in a private session. The dude said that I was better than most 20+ age guitarists (i am 15)

Unfortuatly, I am not in a band, but I have written 11 complete songs. Mostly Rock, but some Blues.

Any tips or suggestions as to finding a band??
So, How good am I??

EDIT: How do you put a video on here??
Seattle Seahawks

Quote by chookiecookie
i feel like you have an obsession with aubrey plaza.

Quote by WCPhils
at least we can all agree SGstriker is the woooooooooooooooooooooorst
You really expect someone on a forum to be able to answer that?

Maybe....

EDIT: Read the disclaimer in my sig.
Seattle Seahawks

Quote by chookiecookie

Quote by WCPhils
it sounds like your fishing for compliments if you know your good then your good you dont need ppl to tell you how good you are.
Quote by dethofmoo
haha you said shlong. that means penis. haha your hair is like a penis. penis-hair!

Quote by Vin2254
I once strummed so hard the earth cracked in two and satan rose from the firey pits of hell and marveled in my glorious strumming abilities. True story.
it sounds like your fishing for compliments if you know your good then your good you dont need ppl to tell you how good you are.

I dont know if I am good or not. Sometimes I think I am, but other times, I just wanna throw my guitar down and say **** it.
Seattle Seahawks

Quote by chookiecookie

Quote by WCPhils
you win at life
Quote by steven seagull
good, however give yourself a pat on the back for starting a thread that contains a picture of Optimus Prime!

Quote by Schneiderman
This thread sucks and is now about slot cars.
I like to look at it as: it isn't what you can play, it how you play it.

If all you do is copy the guitar players in those bands instead of adding your own personal touches to songs, riffs, leads, etc. OR writing your own songs, riffs, leads, etc. then you're really not doing anything fantastic.
Quote by SGstriker
Maybe....

EDIT: Read the disclaimer in my sig.

those things didnt come out of your mouth, they appeared on the website by you thinking the words, typing them, and posting them. no use of the mouth involved.

R.I.P.'s:

- Syd Barrett
- Dimebag
- Chuck Schuldiner
- Cliff Burton
- Metallica
- SRV
- Jimi Hendrix

Quote by Useful_Idiot16
full baked i love how ur sig says R.I.P metallica lol.

If you can play those songs, then you're probably decent. However, since no one can see you play, you might have bad habits which could hinder your playing.

You're pretty young still, so you have alot of time to get better. There's no measuring scale that says "you are good if you can do this and this." Just work hard, and don't worry about being good enough for something, because eventually you will get there.
Quote by ToyMachine22122
Learn Crossroads by Cream. Then you will be good. Until then you're not. Period.

lol

well i dunno really. you know more songs than me. but yea weve never heard you. plus we dont know how good you are at improvising or your own songs and what not.
If you can play half the songs you claim you can play, you're decent.

And by that I mean you have them down cold, as if you can play along to the album, which I strongly doubt you can.
If you go around asking random people how good you are, you aren't confident enough. That shows in your playing and therefore, you aren't that good..
The "Popped Collar" Award(Sexiest)
Elvenkindje

The "Rest In Real Life" Award(Best Past MT Mod)
Elvenkindje
We have to hear your songs and guitar playing so post them.
Quote by SGstriker
I dont know if I am good or not. Sometimes I think I am, but other times, I just wanna throw my guitar down and say **** it.

So, you're looking for the approval of a bunch of strangers on the internet to boost your self-esteem? In that case, you should just throw down your guitar and say, **** it.

You're only bad if you think you're bad. So chill out, and quit worrying.
Last edited by GardenGnome26 at Aug 28, 2006,
The reason why I posted this was to get tips, not to get flamed.
I can play all of these songs all the way through, and I do add my own things to the songs such as harmonics, effects.

I can improvise. I spend 30 minutes non-stop improv. each day hopeing to stumble across somethin cool that I could add to a solo.

I dont know how to post a video on here, otherwise, I would post a video of my Guitar Center contest.

I think the only thing holding me back is that I am not confident enough to approach someone about starting a band.

And Full Baked, Quit being so clever....
Seattle Seahawks

Quote by chookiecookie

Quote by WCPhils
Quote by uncballer11

exactly, if you're good, you don't need to come to this forums and say am i good?, expecting for compliments, many people here can play that song, i'm 15 but, how long you been playing?
Omgf, who the hel cares what songs you can play, or how good you are, just ****in write your own songs, get a band and do what me and my band kosine did, record duh, till then youre nt going to know how good you are till you listen to you, youve listened to good music, now see how you stack up, then tell us how good you are, good luck though, from the sounds of it youre pretty good
Gear:
since everyone was bitching, heres my favorites...
-1995 Jimmy Page Les paul (16th bday)
-1960 Gibson Les Paul reissue
-2003 Epiphone Les Paul Classic
-Hot Rodded 100 watt marshal (200 watts)
exactly, if you're good, you don't need to come to this forums and say am i good?, expecting for compliments, many people here can play that song, i'm 15 but, how long you been playing?

I have been playin 3 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGstriker
And Full Baked, Quit being so clever....

why?

He founda loophole in my Disclaimer.
Seattle Seahawks

Quote by chookiecookie

Quote by WCPhils
most guitarists are either arrogant or modest or their abilities. work out which u r then make an honest assesment of your abilities. we cant tell - you could b playin those songs ****, or note for note.
Truthfully, I dont think you can play all of those songs. I think its a lie. Im 24, and its taking me about 3.5 - 4 years to build up the Stamina ( Not the technique) to Play MOP. I dont think any 15 year old would have the muscle to play that much, expecially an 11 year old (assuming it took you a couple years to play it).

Im calling Bull$hit unless there is a recording or a video present.
Im only 16 and i have the stamana to play MOP, i mean i do work as a mechanic so my wrists are good, but MOP is not that hard, besides, its one song it doesnt say your good, so if any of you think im saying im good, im not i know it, i have a long way to go, and so does this guy
Gear:
since everyone was bitching, heres my favorites...
-1995 Jimmy Page Les paul (16th bday)
-1960 Gibson Les Paul reissue
-2003 Epiphone Les Paul Classic
-Hot Rodded 100 watt marshal (200 watts)
Quote by MySweetFracture
Truthfully, I dont think you can play all of those songs. I think its a lie. Im 24, and its taking me about 3.5 - 4 years to build up the Stamina ( Not the technique) to Play MOP. I dont think any 15 year old would have the muscle to play that much, expecially an 11 year old (assuming it took you a couple years to play it).

Im calling Bull$hit unless there is a recording or a video present.

master of puppets isn't that hard if you break it up and practice correctly - however, it does take stamina to downpick that fast with consistency and composure, i definitely agree, but anyone who analyzes their playing and corrects problems quickly will be able to play it

threadstarter, answer me this: what single entity or player is every guitarist on the internet (who posts a few songs they can play) compared to? shawn lane? jimi hendrix? george benson? how the hell should i know? assess your own playing and don't worry about criticism unless it's constructive and can actually help you - and some random person on the internet saying "you're good" isn't constructive, it's just an ego boost

it's simply impossible considering that everyone's view of what "good" is varies greatly and is extremely subjective, so what's the point?
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

Member #2 of the "Official UG Teabaggers' Cult". PM Slayer224 to join.
The reason why I posted this was to get tips, not to get flamed.

Dude, we're not flaming you, we're just messin with u. There's a difference.

Yeah so as for advice to finding a band... Find ways to let people know you're a good guitar player. Don't tell them you are, show them you are. Because, at least where I live, everyone and their uncle Bob claims they "Play guitar" but about 90% of them only know like Smoke on the Water and Seven Nation Army (and this pisses me off beyond belief cause it takes attention away from the REAL guitar players). I'm not exaggerating. So yeah, just SAYING you play guitar isn't worth a damn to anyone. Find ways to go show it...and hopefully you'll gain someone's attention. See if you can play at some school function or something.
If you don't end up getting any attention, try to start your own band. The band doesn't even have to be that good; it can be a temporary band (don't tell them that though). YOU just have to be that good. My first band sucked balls, lol. But it got me places, because when we played people would notice me. Plus, the experience of playing with other people is good and as long as you have a half-decent drummer and bassist you'll have fun jamming. Basically, if you're struggling to find a band, then you should take the first offer you get.

Yeah there u go thats all I got.
Quote by elvenkindje
If you go around asking random people how good you are, you aren't confident enough. That shows in your playing and therefore, you aren't that good..

Yep... Besides, why the hell do you care? Comparing "musician skill" is the dumbest thing you could possibly do.

If you think you're good, you're good. If you think you suck, you suck.

And uhm, MySweetFracture, I could play MOP within my first 5 months of playing. Never seemed that hard to me, all the downpicking. So yeah, it's definitely possible.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
id dint read anything u sed but im going to say you are very good so u feel good about urself
holy crap i actually typed some intelligent words. thats like a first.
Quote by dethofmoo
haha you said shlong. that means penis. haha your hair is like a penis. penis-hair!

Quote by Vin2254
I once strummed so hard the earth cracked in two and satan rose from the firey pits of hell and marveled in my glorious strumming abilities. True story.
Yeah, lots of people post threads like this.

Do you think you are good? Then you are. You think you suck? Then you do. Like Resi said.

It's all personal, so don't compare yourself to others. I've been doing that lately, and it hasn't helped my playing. Just go with you not others
If you're good, you know it. Trust me.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
Quote by Resiliance

And uhm, MySweetFracture, I could play MOP within my first 5 months of playing. Never seemed that hard to me, all the downpicking. So yeah, it's definitely possible.

I dont believe that, but everyone on the internet lies.

So... good for you!
Quote by MySweetFracture
I dont believe that, but everyone on the internet lies.

So... good for you!

it's not very unbelievable, it's considered a beginner to intermediate song, even including the solo (which is a bit more difficult then smells like teen spirit) - i learned it within the first year as well, but if i knew how to practice back then i would've learned it a lot faster
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

Member #2 of the "Official UG Teabaggers' Cult". PM Slayer224 to join.
Quote by axe_grinder247
it's not very unbelievable, it's considered a beginner to intermediate song, even including the solo (which is a bit more difficult then smells like teen spirit) - i learned it within the first year as well, but if i knew how to practice back then i would've learned it a lot faster

seriously?!

in that case, man i suck oh well. chords > shred anyway
Quote by FireTag
seriously?!

in that case, man i suck oh well. chords > shred anyway

Don't ever let me hear you call the solo to MOP - which is a piece of **** wankfest courtesy of wankermeister Hammett - shred again.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
god i hate Kirk Hammett. You know, ol' Kirky, there' more to guitar than pentatonic scales.

Also, im 17. I can play 374nps and i eat guitar noobs like John Petrucci, Shawn Lane, etc. for breakfast.

Am i good ??
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
if you think you need to fish for compliments on a forum to feel confident about your guitar skills, you must not be that good!
Page 1 of 2