I'm sure there's someone with an answer to this question for me.

Basically... my voice is more of a baritone/bass voice than most vocalists... I play a lot of different kinds of music, but most of it is in the either the standard EADGBE or Drop D tunings... which causes some problems with me singing out of my range and not being able to hit some notes.

Should I tune my guitar to a standard D/Drop C octave so I can sing lower, or should I focus on practicing my vocals so I can sing higher? I play mostly songs by myself on acoustic, but once inawhile I play in standard with other people.
i guess it really depends~ honestly i try to sing without changin the tunin of the guitar but of course some/most of the time, i am not able to hit the note perfectly time to time.. requirin more vocal warmup~ so i suggest just tunin the guitar rather than ur voice... for ur vocals i recommend scale warmups so u can build the strength to sing on watever key
I would practice getting a higher sound with your voice, and especially improving on your falsetto.
"Insecticon" of the Predacons Beast Wars Club
PM NightmareXT To Join!

You make me feel
Like a dog, you can see, my emotions
Is this for real, i'm a man
Sinking deep, in the ocean
You could always just tune a half-step down, like Alice In Chains, Guns 'N' Roses, Nirvana (sometimes) and Jimi Hendrix. That half-step can make all the difference (works for me and the other singer of the band I'm in), plus it means you can use heavier strings, which give a better tone, without the problem of them being a bit of a bastard to play. See? It's all good!
Feel free to ignore my ranting.

Member of the Self-Taught Club.

A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a close-minded moron.
Why don't you just play the songs in a key that you can sing them in?

Chris
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
^^'coz if you wanna play open chords in E flat (for example) it's impossible. Unless you capo at the eleventh fret. Think about it, a lot of the time it's much easier to tune down or use a capo.

A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a close-minded moron.
....so don't play open chords? Why does it need to be an open chord?

Chris

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Hey man, I see where you're coming from, and that right there is the reason a lot of bands that growl or scream downtune. That way, they can sing in an appropriate range.

Have you tried Eb tuning? I know alot of people who use that because they can't sing high enough.

Also, you can do what you said, tune ALL the strings down a full step, for a D standard tuning.

Have you tried writing music in different keys? For example, some people can't sing in the key of G but can sing in the key of C, with the same guitar tuning. Try writing your songs in a key you can sing in, then that way your voice will be in the same key, just a different octave. Might make for an interesting sound.
Yea, sometimes I tune with my voice too, I have perfect pitch, and naturally, the easiest note that I can sing accurately is the A, but the A below middle C (i wish I was a tenor, I am trying to expand my range upwards), I use the A as a reference point, then if I want to tune another string, I use the A as a reference point andthen I pivot around with intervals.
Quote by axemanchris
....so don't play open chords? Why does it need to be an open chord?

Chris

Because:

1) Seeing as this is the G&B Basics forum he's probably not up to switching barre chords quickly.
2) Even if he can barre at a reasonable level then chords like the open G shape are damn near impossible to barre right and barring them using the E shape wouldn't sound quite the same.
3) Open chords sound different (see also; better) to barre chords.
4) This dude wants to sing lower, so capos aren't going to help, and barring chords in the key of (to use my example) Eb in standard would mean most of your barres would be played too high up the neck to actually play barre chords adeptly even for a fairly experienced player.
5) Lots of pro-level guitarists re-tune their guitars and/or use capos to accomodate for their singers voice. You think that you have more authority than then?

Happy?

i used to be like you about 4 years ago but my voice got alot better and now i have to play songs with a capo up to the 5th fret cuz i can singer alot higher
Quote by akack
We beat you 6-0 you stupid mother ****er.

"Nobody likes an unkempt shrubbery - The monty Python appreciation society"
Just use your falsetto. Maybe it's just me, but in falsetto I can go on forever, and I have more of a baritone voice as well.
Quote by Strat_Monkey
Because:

1) Seeing as this is the G&B Basics forum he's probably not up to switching barre chords quickly.

Okay.... fair enough.

Quote by Strat_Monkey

2) Even if he can barre at a reasonable level then chords like the open G shape are damn near impossible to barre right and barring them using the E shape wouldn't sound quite the same.
4) This dude wants to sing lower, so capos aren't going to help, and barring chords in the key of (to use my example) Eb in standard would mean most of your barres would be played too high up the neck to actually play barre chords adeptly even for a fairly experienced player.

If you can't play acceptable chords in any key, that should be the thing you flag as a priority for practice, IMHO. I can't think of a single chord that can't be played in the first six frets with at least five strings.

Quote by Strat_Monkey

3) Open chords sound different (see also; better) to barre chords.

Depending on the context. Sometimes ringing open strings are pesky and *don't* sound better.

Quote by Strat_Monkey

5) Lots of pro-level guitarists re-tune their guitars and/or use capos to accomodate for their singers voice. You think that you have more authority than then?

.... and lots of pro-level guitarists can transpose songs on the fly to any given key the singer can throw at them. You think you have more authority than them?

Granted, both approaches are valid, and will depend on a range of musical choices as to which one you go with. Changing the key of a song is easy, requires no extra gizmos, no re-tuning, etc. Just play a few different chords, and you're home. That is probably your best choice in probably 70% of cases. If you want to (or need to for whatever reason) make life a little more difficult, then that's fine.

Retuning my guitar ever two or three songs, or adding capos or switching guitars every two or three songs would drive me nuts. I'm really a "set it and forget it" kind of guy for the most part. If his voice is *consistently* unable to reach certain notes, then tuning down is an excellent suggestion. But if it's only "sometimes I can't reach certain notes" then changing the key of just that song is the easiest and most practical solution.

Chris

Last edited by axemanchris at Aug 30, 2006,
^^Fair enough.

Dude, you got SKILLS if you can tune your guitar with your VOICE. Wow.