Ok I know how to solo over the Major chords & I know the modes (Ionian, Dorian......) Now, what confused me is that with the pentatonics. Can i apply the same solo like the major chords. Let me clear! If im in key of G and I want to use the pentatonic scale. ( I know G Major Pentatonic Scale will fit) Will G minor pentatonic fit? Can I use it? Is it better to use the relative minor which is Em Pentatonic? Or both of them can be used & fit.

If im in Key of Em is it ok to use E Major pentatonic or i will go with the G Major pentatonic?

Same Question with the blues scale ........

sorry for being dumb
Play and see if you like how it sounds. ****, start using your ears. Your a musician.

BTW: no such thing as Em key.
Minister of Zeppelinism, PM TheHeartBreaker to join
#6 member of the oasis fan club
Cardinal of The 1st Church of Frusciantism
'89 fender american strat
Vox ad15vt
Peavey raptor plus EXP(bridge: alnico 2 pro)
yamaha f-310p
^ there is Em, it just happens to be the same as G. and to threadstarter, in some cases, the scale will work over certain chords, but there will be some notes that don't work.
Quote by The Iron Man
Play and see if you like how it sounds. ****, start using your ears. Your a musician.

BTW: no such thing as Em key.

Sorry!!! I only have I guitar at home and hoping only that someone with experience can help without trying it to save my time. Is nothing else matter by mettalica not in key of Em. Also check this out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E_minor maybe i'm wrong and ur right! Sometimes we have to ask questions to clear things out. Thanks anyway!!!
Pentatonic can be 'spiced' up with the blues note b5 and mixed into the major scale by adding the maj3 note

blues note example

e---------------------------------------
b---------------------------------------
g----5--7--8p7p5--------------------
d--7-----------------7--5-----/7vvv--
a----------------------------------------
e-----------------------------------------

major/minor lick

e-------------5--8p5-------------------
b-----------5----------8p5-------------
g-----5h6-------------------7p5-------
d--7-------------------------------7vvv
a----------------------------------------
e----------------------------------------
What the ancients called a clever fighter is one who not only wins, but excels in winning with ease.

Sun Tsu, The Art OF War
Quote by kwatrokantos
Ok I know how to solo over the Major chords & I know the modes (Ionian, Dorian......) Now, what confused me is that with the pentatonics. Can i apply the same solo like the major chords. Let me clear! If im in key of G and I want to use the pentatonic scale. ( I know G Major Pentatonic Scale will fit) Will G minor pentatonic fit? Can I use it?

Either will work, depending on what "flavour" you want your melody to have. Blues sounds like blues because it is essentially a minor scale over major chords. It's those otherwise "wrong" notes that make it sound cool. It also depends to some degree on what other chords are in your progression.

Quote by kwatrokantos

Is it better to use the relative minor which is Em Pentatonic? Or both of them can be used & fit.

Em (which YES IS A KEY!!!) can be used, as it is the exact same notes as G (unless you use E harmonic minor or something). The only thing is that your root note, or the note your melody is centered around has to be G or it will sound out of place. Essentially, if you are using an Em scale and centering your melody around G... you ARE in the key of G. You're just using an Em hand-shape to achieve it, and that's fine.

Quote by kwatrokantos

If im in Key of Em is it ok to use E Major pentatonic or i will go with the G Major pentatonic?

E major pentatonic wouldn't work so well. You would have a G# and a C#.... and neither of those will be nice to work with in the key of G.

Chris
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Cheers, man! Glad it helped!

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by axemanchris
Essentially, if you are using an Em scale and centering your melody around G... you ARE in the key of G. You're just using an Em hand-shape to achieve it, and that's fine.
That is a brilliant series of sentences. So many people don't get that.

Yay, Chris! I'm saving that in Word.
Quote by Johnljones7443
^Yes there is, lol.

I think he was being sarcastic
It depends on the chords your playing over. Generally use G Major Pent, but sometimes you use G Minor. G Minor Pentatonic and G Major Pentatonic contain different notes.
How can there not be a Em key? E Maj= E(1) F#(2) G#(3) A(4) B(5) C#(6) D#(7) E(8/1)

Min=b3,b6,b7

Therefor Em is... E(1) F#(2) G(b3) A(4) B(5) C(b6) D(b7) E(8/1) E Aeolian=Comes from the Gmaj scale.
Quote by DispsablePuppet
So I was at the store the other day... and your all gay.