I'd like to be able to solo like them. Obviously, harmonizing is a big part, but what techniques do they use that are typical of such styles?
A definite solid beggining, bluesy lick, heavyish thing then a nice flurry somewhere with high notes...

Practice, lots of practice before anything...
Blues and rock scales mainly.

EDIT:
If you can't solo in clean or without your amp on you won't get the nice toned within.
Like I said, lots of practice, very precise playing.
*shrugs* I don't know...
Last edited by Jaykib at Aug 28, 2006,
I wouldn't say their "techniques" are different than anyone else from the rock genre, but I would definitely say Iron Maiden rules.
: : Guitars
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Black Beauty
Ibanez Acoustic-Electric
Fender Black Strat
: : Effects
Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde Distortion & Overdrive
Dunlop Crybaby
Fender Tuner
pretty much pentatonic and minor scale licks, study maiden solos!
Youtube covers

[url="http://www.youtube.com/user/MrJumboHumbo[/URL"]
aces high also has some good soloing. i think the main reason the solos sound so bitchin is the rhythm part underneath it. for ex. aces high has this chord succession where it goes A5 F5 G5 then back to A5. another iron maiden like progression i think would be like G5 A#5 F5 G5 D#5 G5 (an octave higher). i've recorded that progression and just did blues licks and pentatonics over it and it sounds so much like iron maiden its not even funny. so basically minor scale type progressions in powerchords with blues licks. like everyone else said they're very fluid players, so a lot of legato, h/o's, p/o's, some tapping and bending.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
- Jimi Hendrix
For a metal band their solos are pretty bluesy, they use a lot of repeated bending licks in their solos. Basically you should be comfortable with fast minor and blues scale runs, trills, and hammeron-pulloff licks. They also use quite a bit of slower melodic playing in their solos to contrast with the fast stuff.
Lots of legato helps. That's how they get their very smooth sound.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Thanks everyone for their suggestions, it's greatly appreciated.

Um, i know i've heard the term before, but what exactly is legato? it's like the opposite of staccato, right?
Quote by Spamwise
Thanks everyone for their suggestions, it's greatly appreciated.

Um, i know i've heard the term before, but what exactly is legato? it's like the opposite of staccato, right?

Yes'm. Legato on guitar is techniques like hammer-ons, pull-offs, bends, and slides.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Wooo someone posted a link to my youtube video .

Anyway, Maiden soloing is (as someone said earlier) all about blues licks over cool rhythms.
dude.. how can any of you try to class maiden solos as one type!!!!! UR ALL CRAZY!!!

I agree with what you all say for the earlier maiden like the trooper, fear, be quick or be dead, but now theres rainmaker, brave new world, dance of death. They are really different.

For the earlier stuf go with wat the other guys said, but the newer maiden has more harmonies and technical stuff!!! Study harmonies and related scales for songs like brave new world!!!!

Hope this helps and doesnt get too many peoples backs up!!!