I have the Ibanez AG75 hollow body guitar and I was thinking about replacing the stock pickups.

I would like to get a mellow, vintage tones from them, like one in this sound sample.
This sample is the GFS nashville bridge pickup sound sample, but I doubt that a pickup for 30$ will sound this good. If I will replace them, then for something decent.

So whats your suggestions?
Last edited by MarekM at Aug 28, 2006,
i heard GFS pickups from guitarfetish are really decent.(not as dimarzio or seymour duncan of course, but good enough). if you think that pickup is good, then go for it.

but remember that you wont get the same exact sound as the sound sample, because that sound does not come from the same gutiar you have. (and its probably not a hollowbody, either.)

oh, and you need to get a HUMBUCKER!!(correct me if I'm wrong) ones like this.
http://store.guitarfetish.com/v59niclalpah.html
Fender Mex Cyclone HH
**ZOOM G7.1ut**
Yamaha COD-100 Overdrive
Big Muff Pi USA
Danelectro Chorus
Behringer EQ
Dinosaur Heavy Metal

member #4 of the "can't we forget about punk, emo, metal, and all the other subgenres and just ROCK?" group
Yeah, I know I need a humbucker.

Well, if the SDs or Dimarzios are better, then I want those. I just dont know which one to get, for example SDs : 59 model, SH-55 seth lover model, SH-2 jazz model or something else. I want vintage tone, so maybe the 59 would be good, but then I would like it to be versatile, for modern sounds too(not metal )

BTW I dont like the sound examples on SD website, I like the sound sample in my first post more. Does this mean something?

EDIT : Maybe the SH-4 JB in the bridge and SH-2 in the neck would be fine, as its the Seymours favourive combination...
Last edited by MarekM at Aug 28, 2006,
okay keep this in mind... the sound samples are probably from a solid body guitar. you on the other hand, have a semi-hollow body. it will probably have a significantly different sound, so the sound samples wont help you much.
also replacing the pickups on a 350$ guitar might not be the best idea, especially if youre getting 50-80$ pickups for it. thats why i reccomended GFS pickups.(and remember, they are GOOD pickups)

but if you want SDs, SH-4 JB and SH-2 combo might be good. but try looking for similar type of pickups at the guitarfetish site...

also, don't change the pickups yourself. it should cost you less than 40$ if you ask for it at a store. i messed up my guitar on the first try
Fender Mex Cyclone HH
**ZOOM G7.1ut**
Yamaha COD-100 Overdrive
Big Muff Pi USA
Danelectro Chorus
Behringer EQ
Dinosaur Heavy Metal

member #4 of the "can't we forget about punk, emo, metal, and all the other subgenres and just ROCK?" group
Also, if you ask me, the clean sound in that sample is awful. Full of treble and fret buzzing. A combination of poor tone and poor playing. Now I've never played a hollow-body but for a good clean sound it sounds like you should go with the Seymour Duncan '59
Gibson SG Standard
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Fulltone OCD
EH Holy Grail