I'm fairly new to the ghee-tar, self-taught, and I'm having problems with hamer-ons and pull-offs. They're too quiet.

Can anyone help? A video link maybe?
for hammer ons, you just gotta hit that **** really hard with your finger. if you can't do it really well at first, you're just gonna need to build finger strength (and probably accuracy). for pull offs, you gotta kinda pluck the string with your finger as you pull off to get a decent sound. maybe someone else can provide a better explanation... or just google how to do it. you'll find a tutorial somewhere.
Banging on a trash can
Drumming on a street light
seriously, use a search engine. "hammer on guitar", "hammer on video", "hammer on guitar video lesson", or watever

and in UG, there is a column on tapping called "steal that video". search for "steal that video" in the UG.
Fender Mex Cyclone HH
**ZOOM G7.1ut**
Yamaha COD-100 Overdrive
Big Muff Pi USA
Danelectro Chorus
Behringer EQ
Dinosaur Heavy Metal

member #4 of the "can't we forget about punk, emo, metal, and all the other subgenres and just ROCK?" group
When doing hammer ons, make sure you use the tip of your finger as opposed to the more fleshy part which could result in muting. It should be a sharp, hard action for which you need to just have the confidence to go for it, or it will sound quiet. Same goes for pull offs, just try to give it a good clean twang, and remember practice makes perfect.
Well, if you just started playing, then obviously your fingers are still weak. They don't sound because you aren't depressing hard enough. I'm not saying to go punching your guitar to do hammer-on's, but to keep practicing it normally, and you will gradually gain strength in your fingers and they will sound a lot more.

-Alex.
"Insecticon" of the Predacons Beast Wars Club
PM NightmareXT To Join!

You make me feel
Like a dog, you can see, my emotions
Is this for real, i'm a man
Sinking deep, in the ocean
I see the light now. The only riff that I can play at the moment that my hammering on and pulling off works for is "Electric Funeral" by Black Sabbath, which is ridiculously simple, even for a beginner.
^^Damn right. Make sure you got that rock hard calice built up and just knock the sh*t out of the string. Like you're trying to send your finger through the fret board. With pull offs to get more sound out of them you could use a pull down type thing, almost like picking the string when you pull off. Just don't f*ck up and hit more than one string.
Quote by willpulman_172
Hit that f*cker as hard as you can.

hahaha but it's gonna take practice to get enough finger strength to be able to hit the string with enough force without having to lift your finger really high off the fretboard. also, it's gonna take practice to get accurate with your fingers and actually hit what you wanna hit. and plucking the string on pull offs is tricky.

yeah... I know you've heard it a million times, but... practice practice practice.
Banging on a trash can
Drumming on a street light
Quote by willpulman_172
The solution is very simple.

Hit that f*cker as hard as you can.

No. That isn't a solution. That's doing a hammer-on incorrectly. It isn't about force or strength, at all.

If your fingers are in the correct position, effortlessly dropping your finger on to the string with no force behind will keep it ringing. It requires almost no effort. No strength. No hitting the fucker as hard as you can.
Quote by Johnljones7443
No. That isn't a solution. That's doing a hammer-on incorrectly. It isn't about force or strength, at all.

If your fingers are in the correct position, effortlessly dropping your finger on to the string with no force behind will keep it ringing. It requires almost no effort. No strength. No hitting the fucker as hard as you can.

John, you are pushing water uphill with a fork.

Threadstarter, if you want good advice, run away from this site! You will mostly
get advice on how to play the guitar from people who don't know how to play
the guitar. IOW - bad advice.

Oh, listen to John....