What kinds of effect does Fieldy in KoRn
use for his bass to sound so cool and crackily?

im preety sure its not just distortion..
or maybe it has somthing to do with his amp setting?

Help me please..
HUMP|de|BUMP
probably a Wah & other multi effects.

if you want to get effects, buy one and experiment, don't just copy.
Quote by demoniacfashion
Is there any black people on UG?
I don't think a lot of black people play guitar anymore.

Quote by Oasis-fanatic
they all kinda went extinct after hendrix really.

Needless to say, I lol'ed.

Quote by human panda
Appart from being on UG or wanking, thats what i mostly do
copy?
its like your telling me not to play any flea riffs..coz it'd be "copying"
i just wanna know how he does it..coz i find it cool
and i wanna try it..
HUMP|de|BUMP
usually its just kill mids, detune and whack for all your worth.
Quote by Dogruitag
i think he wants to dream theater to be considered more metal, so he dyed his beard.

Quote by LookAlive
Lmfao, this is the best thread ever, aside from the fact that it involves a girl being harpooned through a tent.
It's not an effect. Turn your highs all the way up, then remove all of the mids from your eq. Keep the bass around 12-3 o'clock. Then de-tune your strings a ridiculous amount. After you've done all that all you have to do is slap them insanely hard and you'll have his signature, "no midrange-clicking on the fretboard-sounds like total ass because Feildy can't play bass to save his life tone. Enjoy.
keep the bass around 12-3 o'clock?
you turn the high's all up,
remove the mids.
how do i keep my lows?

hey., im not much of a nu metal fan..
but IMO...
fieldy gave korn its signature sound..
and look where korn is now..they did preety damn well..
HUMP|de|BUMP
Lows=Bass...I never thought I'd have to say that...

Anyway, tune down to B or A, remove your mids completely, and slap preeetty hard.

It's not an effect, although Fieldy does use effects.
-Fender Deluxe Active P-bass (60th anniversary)
-Peavey T-40 (1982)
-Hartke HA-3500
-Aguilar GS 2x12
-GK Backline 2x10
i'm sorry but ive never really owned an equalizer..
so im not quite yet familiar with all of its stuffs..
Thank you BTW! ^_^
HUMP|de|BUMP
Actually, from what ive heard of him live, he just cranks out the bass and highs to the max, and of course kills of the mids and then the detuning etc etc. Also I believe he uses a bit of overdrive to accentuate the slapping.
Once you get to the top, the only way to go is down.
Quote by dariusfinch
i'm sorry but ive never really owned an equalizer..
so im not quite yet familiar with all of its stuffs..
Thank you BTW! ^_^

No worries, I'm not trying to be a jerk, I was just...shocked.

I mean..I was all,

and you were like,

but I should have been,

...and I wasn't.

And for some odd reason I am now
-Fender Deluxe Active P-bass (60th anniversary)
-Peavey T-40 (1982)
-Hartke HA-3500
-Aguilar GS 2x12
-GK Backline 2x10
well like everyone else has said boost the lows kill your mids and bring your highs up then detune to an A and there is one more no one else has mentioned yet which is he uses a little bit thicker strings...but besides that it kinda confuses me...everyone hates fieldy and how he plays...well if they hate him so much how did they find his music and figure out what he sounds like??
"The grass is always greener on the other side..."
Quote by tetsuma
Bass work is just as important as guitar work, its people who dont understand this who fail.
I don't hate fieldy. He actually has done some nice basswork outside of Korn. It's just the "fieldy sound" in korn gets a bit gimmicky and dull, because its essentially root notes that sound really rattlely and such. It sounded cool back in their debut album but had gotten old fast. Its a good thing he moved away from it for their See You on the Other Side album.

Most people hate him because they only have heard his "percussive/rattle" bass.
Once you get to the top, the only way to go is down.
Quote by Killibinizik
I don't hate fieldy. He actually has done some nice basswork outside of Korn. It's just the "fieldy sound" in korn gets a bit gimmicky and dull, because its essentially root notes that sound really rattlely and such. It sounded cool back in their debut album but had gotten old fast. Its a good thing he moved away from it for their See You on the Other Side album.

Most people hate him because they only have heard his "percussive/rattle" bass.

i agree..

how bout listening to fieldy's other bass lines?..
because fieldy doesnt only "whack for all his worth"..
I don't know how you can say that, the guy does some thing different to make him individual and you slag him off, thats like telling any new bassist don't be different just play like everyone else does.

Korn wouldn't have their ace sound without his style, and it sets them apart from other new-metal bands.
Even though the basics got covered with limited bashing, I'll add that he does have a limited use of effects to achieve the sound in the 'signature' form.

He uses a 5-string (if you didn't know all ready) it's a Ibanez signature model (K5) he uses heavy gauge strings and plays in A-standard (one full step down - ADGCF -low to high), he also uses a Ibanez PD7 distortion/overdrive pedal with a little bit of distortion and the "Attack" switch on (adds more string feedback/enhances the clicky noises) and of course scooped Mid-range and boosted Lows and Highs. (Having active Bass electronic might help when experimenting with this type of tone/effects)

There, that should be pretty close.
Quote by Monkey_Bassist
Even though the basics got covered with limited bashing, the "Attack" switch on (adds more string feedback/enhances the clicky noises).

what does the attack switch do?
it raises/lowers the attack when you switch it?
korns bass is tuned to

K-O-R-N hehehehe
Yeah, now you're gonna die wearing that stupid little hat. How does it feel?

Help me to live.

I make custom guitar wiring harnesses and I'm pretty damn good at it!
Jo_elle, it has two levels and basically enhances and sort of distorts the highest frequencies of your bass signal (mainly Harmonics, sliding, string noises/pick scratching etc).