I have had my bass for a little over a month now and i have mainly played with a pick. I have just got a tutor and he told me that when playing with my fingers i should rest my thumb on the string above the one im playing so it doesnt make a sound i geuss. The thing is like this i cant really play at the right speed for songs. Is this the right technique?
Just play in the most comfortable way for you, thats what i did
yes, and when you play on the top string rest your thumb on the pickup.
Gear:ESP B50 Bass , Ibanez Bass Practice amp, Dean Vendetta 4F , Dean TEVO, Epiphone Special SG, Dimarzio pickups, 30-watt Randall combo, 95Q Crybaby wah, Dunlop Picks, Dadarrio strings, MXR six-band eq.
Well i play with my thumb rested on the top of the pickip, but each to their own, play however you find comfortable
Ibanez SR505
Ashdown ABM 300 EVO II
Epifani UL410
Bass teachers always suggest playing with your fingers.
Try getting up to speed with your fingers, it's a lot more fun to play and it cal also sound smoother.
Be careful though, don't overpractice or you'll get extreme blood blisters.
"Insecticon" of the Predacons Beast Wars Club
PM NightmareXT To Join!

You make me feel
Like a dog, you can see, my emotions
Is this for real, i'm a man
Sinking deep, in the ocean
It takes a long time to build speed with fingers, but once you do, its the best.

Ask your instructor about spider excerises and two finger excersizes. They will suck, but you will immediatly see that they pay off big.
Quote by Zero-Hartman

If I can't masturbate to childrens cartoons then this country isn't great.
Actually, you can play without anchoring your thumb, or by always anchoring on the pickup too. There's no correct or incorrect way in this case. As long as your plucking technique is good and you're not resting your hand on the bridge or something, how you anchor is up to you.

At least that's what I've been told.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
Quote by craxymaxy
I have had my bass for a little over a month now and i have mainly played with a pick. I have just got a tutor and he told me that when playing with my fingers i should rest my thumb on the string above the one im playing so it doesnt make a sound i geuss. The thing is like this i cant really play at the right speed for songs. Is this the right technique?

You'll get faster, when I started on bass from guitar it was a little unnatural to be using my fingies, instead of a pick(more specifically a bread-clip), now I'm as fast as I can get using one finger....I think.
^ those bread clips make damn good picks, i just wanna say.
'87 Fender Strat
Oscar Schmidt Archtop
Laney LC15R