i was just wondering why the hell ug members seem to have a grudge against marshall mg dfx series.i was thinking of buying a 250dfx but im wary after seeing some responces so what are the bad things about these amps ive played them and i like them.i play mainly metal is this genre suited to the amp? feel free to point out the fults in the amp and suggest others im looking to spend around #280-#300(british pounds keyboards ****ed)
thanks in advance mick
It's a godawful amp, that's why. It's an unbearable amount of treble, really fizzy, boring distortion, and a sterile clean channel. They're also really unreliable.

For metal, people are going to suggest Roland Cubes. But you can get Cube 60s for £150 or something, so you could spend your money on something better.

A Peavey Valveking plus an Overdrive pedal would be nice (Before you say "It's only 30 watts!", it's a tube amp, which means it gets about 1.5 as loud as a solid state apm of the same wattage), but I'm not sure about it's capability to do metal. For this price range, you're looking at solid state amps rather than tube ones. My H&K Matrix does metal well, so you could take a look at that. I think Laney make some decent SS combos, too.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Quote by timi_hendrix
(Before you say "It's only 30 watts!", it's a tube amp, which means it gets about 1.5 as loud as a solid state apm of the same wattage)

I've heard this many times, but from my experience it is not true. My 65 watt Kustom which has been louder than all half stacks that I have played with. I have played with guitarists using a Line 6 Spider II, and against my amp on 3 you could not hear this amp on 10. I have played with another guitarist using a 50 watt tube Laney, and you could not hear his half stack with mine on about 4 so there goes your 1.5 deal. The other half stack that I have compared my 112 against is a Crate SS amp and this did better than the other two with respect to volume. My Kustom finally took it over at about 6 on the volume knob. The Laney is the best amp that I have played against but it wasn't very loud.
Quote by myvaliantleap
I've heard this many times, but from my experience it is not true. My 65 watt Kustom which has been louder than all half stacks that I have played with. I have played with guitarists using a Line 6 Spider II, and against my amp on 3 you could not hear this amp on 10. I have played with another guitarist using a 50 watt tube Laney, and you could not hear his half stack with mine on about 4 so there goes your 1.5 deal. The other half stack that I have compared my 112 against is a Crate SS amp and this did better than the other two with respect to volume. My Kustom finally took it over at about 6 on the volume knob. The Laney is the best amp that I have played against but it wasn't very loud.

Line 6 Spider II tube, my arse. Not all halfstacks are tube amps.

And what model laney was it, anyway?

My Music
buttsecks with vin diesel > owning an MG

seriously, I've played on all of the mgs and they all sound worse than the 15 watt fender frontman i used to own. . .
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
Quote by timi_hendrix

Line 6 Spider II tube, my arse. Not all halfstacks are tube amps.

And what model laney was it, anyway?

I never once said that the Line 6 was good, or tube. Please read the post before you try to make me look un-intelligent. I also never said all half stacks were tube, I even specified that the Crate was SS (solid state) since they make both tube and SS amps. The Laney has a GH50L.
instead of your mg bashing please could u help me i have hardly any expirience with amps and have no idea what to go for so if u could put forth some suggestions in my price range that would be much appreciated im looking for tones similiar to the agony scene and lamb of god just a good metal -metalcore tone
thanks
Quote by the agony scene
instead of your mg bashing please could u help me i have hardly any expirience with amps and have no idea what to go for so if u could put forth some suggestions in my price range that would be much appreciated im looking for tones similiar to the agony scene and lamb of god just a good metal -metalcore tone
thanks

like Timi recommended the Roland Cube series is what you would wanna choose if you want to play metal
I don't understand it much either..

My brother's got an MG100HDFX head and has both cabs (keeps one at his bandspace cause his car can't carry the cab). It really doesn't sound that bad at all.

Then again, all of his sounds come from his PodXT Live...
Quote by myvaliantleap
I never once said that the Line 6 was good, or tube. Please read the post before you try to make me look un-intelligent. I also never said all half stacks were tube, I even specified that the Crate was SS (solid state) since they make both tube and SS amps. The Laney has a GH50L.

Quote by myvaliantleap

That bit, when in reply to my post talking about tube amps being louder than SS, made me think that you were calling the Line 6 tube,

Sorry man

But that Laney thing is weird. I'd expect it to be a lot louder.

My Music
i have a laney 15hcm that i use at home and it sucks so i dont trust laney or is it a case of there low end amps sucking ass and the more expensive being awesome ?