does anyone here make a living from playing bass? i am hoping to do this, but recently i have been wondering if bass is the right instrument. i mean you look at the bassists in most bands and they are pretty average, so it seems like it is no advantage if you are good at bass as there is no call for it. i just want to know how the good bassists make a living?

sorry if thats confusing, or a stupid question, ive just been wondering, thats all

thanks
bass is just as important as guitar but i would say your better off learning guitar because you will be able to move over to bass almost effortlessly (although getting good at it as a second instrument isnt that easy) and that way have a job opportunity of both.

i wouldnt plan on learning any instrument for the purpose of a career though, its not a stable industry and tbh when you mentioned bands it just sent it downhill, you dont start a band for the money, you start one for the expirience.
ontop of that most bands dont make much money anyway, defiantely not enough to hold up as a career.
i think its a good idea to get more than one musical intrumental skill at hand. but with bass, i think that simply, a lot of the more popular bands today just have simple basslines, rather than 'average bassists'. however i think that as a result, a lot of people want to be good at guitar, and thus bass is much less popular - bassists are in high demand, but in short supply.

get very good, and knowledgable, have the right attitude and get lots of experience as a musician.
i need to get a better signature.
Quote by Bumper
^And just why not, exactly?

because there are eight hundred thousand people, just like you, that are trying to make a living in music, and never will. It's not likely that you are gonna. Get a nice bass, maybe play some guitar, some piano, whatever you like, and enjoy. Then go to college, and get a real job. You can enjoy music without making a living in it.

I don't wanna ruin your party, I'm just giving you some good life advice...
Quote by VAisforlosers01
because there are eight hundred thousand people, just like you, that are trying to make a living in music, and never will. It's not likely that you are gonna. Get a nice bass, maybe play some guitar, some piano, whatever you like, and enjoy. Then go to college, and get a real job. You can enjoy music without making a living in it.

i think a lot of those people though are trying to be 'big superstars' in music, sell out gigs in huge arenas. wot if we just want to play local gigs regularly, perhaps have some time as a bass tutor on the side, etc. i think its more likely than what your suggesting, but only if people are trying to get on mtv and all that.
i need to get a better signature.
^It's not exactly difficult to make a living playing an instrument, you know. It's not some un-attainable goal that no one will ever acheive. It's a very real possibility that at least some of the users on this forum will one day be professional bassists.
^ it still is difficult to make a living playing an instrument, because without a performance degree you're really not going to become a studio musician in America (unless your studio is local and doesn't pay enough to feed the kids), and local gigs are basically... local low-paying gigs. It's very difficult to make a living as a musician, especially as someone who's title is "bassist" and not "sound technician" as they can work with any live or studio act and improve it if they do the job right. The market is also overstacked with film composers and people trying to make a living off music in film and TV and advertisements. You're best is still being lucky and teaming with a director who gets big and him sticking to you (see also: Tim Burton/Danny Elfmann). Odds are against you.

Its easier than most make it out to be, sure. But easy? naw, kid. Naw.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
Well, if you're a decent bassist, you have a much better chance of getting a band than if you're a guitarist or something.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
Quote by plumbsj
does anyone here make a living from playing bass? i am hoping to do this, but recently i have been wondering if bass is the right instrument. i mean you look at the bassists in most bands and they are pretty average, so it seems like it is no advantage if you are good at bass as there is no call for it. i just want to know how the good bassists make a living?

sorry if thats confusing, or a stupid question, ive just been wondering, thats all

thanks

Clearly sir you are listening to the wrong bands. There are plenty of bassists who are awesome. Unless by "average" you mean "doesn't slap/pop/tap hundreds of notes a minute." A bassist can be very good by keeping the pocket tight with grooves.

Also if you become knowledgeable in theory, and take up some jazz, you will find many more opportunities to perform as a good bassist since they are low in supply than a dime-a-dozen-wannabe-guitarist.

EDIT_Also being a performer at the local level isn't difficult at all, as long as you have a "day-job" that provides a steady and good amount of income. If you get good enough its very realisitic to become a studio/session bassist if you put the time and effort in along with love for the instrument.
Once you get to the top, the only way to go is down.
Quote by VAisforlosers01

That is the most pathetic excuse for an attitude i have ever seen. Hey, why bother with life as we are all going to die one day? Some people have goals, are dedicated and focused and can quite easily become a professional musician. There is more to being a musician that being a rock star you know. My friend is a pro drummer, does session work and gets paid £8,000 a show. He still does it for love though. If you are good, you will get paid work. Dont liken everyones skills to your own. There might be thousands trying to get into it, but so what? There are thousands trying to get in most types of careers, but that doesnt stop you trying for them. I understand your point, and sure it's not as easy as getting a McJob, but if you dont try your best then you're already a loser. Dont piss on people chips mate, we all have dreams and those who work hard are the ones that realise those dreams. No offence but people like you give up before they start. There are plenty of musicians who started late and have made it, and there are many people who started early and who havent made it.

I strongly believe that if you are good at what you do, whether it's bass, guitar, piano or sax, you will get somewhere. But only with the right attitude.

That said, i have a successful and lucrative career in IT behind me, so if my dream doesnt come true, i'll be just fine. So i would definitely recommend having a back-up. As they say, If you have no plan B, you have no plan.
ORDER, fellas! Order!

1. Most bassists DO NOT do virtuoso stuff, because music has to flow. There are tons of songs where I go E: 4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4 A: 2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2 and so forth. Go ahead, call me average. Every song has to flow. This goes for all the instruments.

2. You can make some dough. Heck, I have! But it's more like a bonus, or a sudden fiscal influx as opposed to stable pay. And if I damage my finger - bam.

Don't go into a deep discussion, fellas. Some have it, some don't.
With enough dedication and focus you can do whatever you want in life. Dont let anyone tell you otherwise.
I agree with the point made that some of us will likely become professional musicians in our lifetime, whether in a band, as a solo artiste, or a "studio technician"... in fact, a guy who lives near me was selected to play bass for this guy at the Leeds/Reading festival, and now he's touring Russia with him (I forget the artist's name, but the bassist dude is called Dando, and he's only 17).

On "average" bassists.... well, everyone leaves a different signiture on a song. Personally, I prefer to spice up a bassline by creating a melody line that ebbs underneath the main vocal melody, linking together the drums and vocals, without copying the vocals... if ya sort of get me, I try to compliment the vocals more than guitar. Another bassist might play root notes instead. Which is the better player? Neither of us, because we're bassists and are the coolest people in the world

Peace out kids... I can't think of how to turn the rest of my thoughts on this into words.... yet
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Which is the better player? Neither of us, because we're bassists and are the coolest people in the world

F*cking A bro ! ! !