ok, well i've got a really cheap squier showmaster at the moment. when i'm playing solos and such, it just doesnt sound very good at all, like the sound quality of it, and i'm wondering whether that is the quality of my playing or the guitar which is at fault? i know its cheap but i don't know if i got a better guitar, my playing would suddenly sound much better?

thanks in advance.
Check the intonation of your guitar (this means that your strings are not only in tune when you play them open but also when you fret them higher up the neck.) If your intonation is off this can make your playing sound really bad so I'd recommend getting the intonation adjusted then. If the intonation is good it's probably your playing although a cheap guitar like yours will never give a very good sound. It also depens on the amp ofcourse, what amp do you have?
Washburn X50 PROFE
Dean Custom 450
Morley PWA Pro Series Wah
Big Muff Rams head
Zoom G2
Ibanez Phase Tone
Randall RG75 G3

Tales of Ale: http://www.talesofale.com
Quote by quickquack
ok, well i've got a really cheap squier showmaster at the moment. when i'm playing solos and such, it just doesnt sound very good at all, like the sound quality of it, and i'm wondering whether that is the quality of my playing or the guitar which is at fault? i know its cheap but i don't know if i got a better guitar, my playing would suddenly sound much better?

thanks in advance.

It's probably one of 3 things.

1. Your guitar is bad - Squiers are pretty cheap, man. Cheap guitars often have intonation problems which means that your guitar is not in tune at every fret because the time and care wasn't taken to measure everything as well as it could have been by the maker of the guitar. Also the pickups are not high end models, the would is not high end, the frets etc. All of these factors contributed to the guitar's low cost.

2. Your technique is bad - If you have a friend/family member who is a more advanced guitarist or take lessons from a more advanced guitarist ask them to solo on your guitar. If it sounds good to you, the playing and the tone, then the problem is you need more practice. This is usually my problem

3. Cheap amp = lousy sound for pretty much the same reason as cheap guitar = lousy sound.
It could be either. ALot of tone comes from finger tips, and alot comes from the guitar. Try going and playing some higher end guitars and see how that goes.
Good players can play the shiat out of bad guitars. It is most likely you, sorry.
Keep practicing and you will get better. When your guitar is holding you back, which it doesn't sound like it is doing, get a better one. I never knew my guitar was not good until i looked around here and played good ones at the store. People's opinions tend to colour yours....
You should evaluate your own guitar on your own terms.

Keep Playing and good luck!

DJ
It could be either you or the guitar. I myself actually play a squier, and have grown to become one of the best in my school, so thats my reason for not blaming it straight on the guitar. Also I got some friends who play better guitars than me, yet i teach them how to play... Check the intonation and other things that ahve been mentioned above though...
Other than that it could be your amp cos like some guy above me said a "cheap (Lousy) amp = Lousy (Cheap) sound"
The only other thing could be you. Try finding some scales and playing with the notes in these scales. That itself might help to make some of the notes to sound better.
Eventually you'll be saying your sound good!