well as the title says, i have being playin the guitar for almost 7 months (on and off) but have not made any progress. i mean i can play lead but cant shred and i am an absolute zero on rythm. i mean i cant even play simple 3 chord power progressions for god sakes. Basically my prob lies in changing chords. i need help. and dont tell me that i need to practice, even i know that. tell me what to practice and how to practice. Yeah and i have an electric guitar

Plz callin on all ug guitar xperts help me
at frist
shredding cant be mastered or done after 7 months lol
this could take up to 10 years and more...depending on your skill...
you should practice fretting powerchords on different frets along with the metronome
and you should also practice some normal chords...C,G,A,D and then barré-chords like G H
and fretting them all very fast
Hold my breath
as I wish for death
Oh please god wake me
I had already bought a course but did not find that helpful and so now my parents have forbidden me from buyin any courses of the net
Practice simple songs.

Make up you own chord changes. Play them through until you get a sense of rythym. Practice with a metronome.
mate theres nuffin u can do but read and learn new songs and play along wiv them!
you pick up things from your fav bands and then u turn them into new riffs and new progresions and new songs in the end!!
iv been playin for 5 years and i play lead and rythem and stuff!
it dnt just happen ova nite!!
Quote by murt112
incidently it was called ULTIMATE GUITAR 2.0

It's not a course. And it's not the general garbage that claims will make you
a great guitarist in 30 days.

It's some books that will teach you how and what to practice. And you WILL make
progress if you use them. You will find it to be money well spent if you can pry it
from your parents.

If you can't -- well there's free stuff on that site and you can sign up for the free
weekly email newsletter which often has great info.

Otherwise, you're stuck with getting help on forums like this, and quite frankly,
most of the advice you find here is either wrong or unhelpful.
Quote by edg

If you can't -- well there's free stuff on that site and you can sign up for the free
weekly email newsletter which often has great info.

Do you read them? I've only recently started to, the 'How slow do you go?' one was interesting.

Quote by murt112
neway edg do u know neother sites like that i have heard a great deal about jamorama

Buy the book. You'll be doing yourself a favour - you've only been playing 7 months so you haven't had time to seriously ingrain any bad habits into your playing. You follow that book and your playing will improve ten fold. Count yourself lucky.. I didn't discover it until a year ago, at which point I'd been playing 8 years and I'v improved more in that one year frame of time than I ever did in the previous eight alone.

Please, buy the book.
Quote by Johnljones7443
Do you read them? I've only recently started to, the 'How slow do you go?' one was interesting.

Oh yeah! Sometimes not right away, but I always set them aside. There was a
real gem of an observation a month or two ago in the "Playing from the String"
article.

Great stuff! Also Jamie's book, The Deeper you go...., is really really good too.
Just a great read for guitar players. If there's someone who's thought more
about BOTH playing and teaching guitar than Jamie I haven't heard about them.
Quote by Johnljones7443

Please, buy the book.

Sorry about the double post, but I should have chimed in on this part too...

Yeah, listen to John and myself. I started playing over 30 years ago. I have
a pretty goiod idea by now of what works and what doesn't. Just about
every other book, DVD or course just gives you a bunch of exercises to do.
That's fine. But, if you don't know about things to be aware of that will hurt
your playing, or where and how to focus your attention, or how to practice,
they will all be of limited value. The GP stuff really goes into that and makes
everything else you work on that much more effective.
Quote by edg
Sorry about the double post, but I should have chimed in on this part too...

Yeah, listen to John and myself. I started playing over 30 years ago. I have
a pretty goiod idea by now of what works and what doesn't. Just about
every other book, DVD or course just gives you a bunch of exercises to do.
That's fine. But, if you don't know about things to be aware of that will hurt
your playing, or where and how to focus your attention, or how to practice,
they will all be of limited value. The GP stuff really goes into that and makes
everything else you work on that much more effective.

I've heard of this book from other people and am interested, but is it REALLY worth $50 to get the principles and path books?

What kind of information is in there that is better than stuff I can find for free I guess is the question.
My gear

Gibson Les Paul Standard Double Cut
Fender MIM Strat w/ Texas Specials
Marshall JCM 2000 - DSL 401
Fender FM25 DSP
Dunlop Original Cry-Baby
Boss DS-1

Cheap Fender Acoustic
Shouldn't be too hard , guys in the other thread say they have been playing for a year and can play dragonforce, led zeppelin cd''s throroughly, yngwie etc.. Pretty interesting, guess I've been practicing the wrong way or something. lol.
Quote by jlhenry
I've heard of this book from other people and am interested, but is it REALLY worth $50 to get the principles and path books?

What kind of information is in there that is better than stuff I can find for free I guess is the question.

Yeah, it's worth it. But only if you're going to give it a shot and use it.

It is basically a manual on how to practice. The types of things you should be
focusing on to get the results you want. Also, some left and right hand basic
exercises that you should work on and be able to do.
Theres always lessons if you need a lot of help. And what are you trying to play? If its hard stuff try easyer stuff like Green Day or Nirvana. Slow things down and then work up to speed. They all work.