View poll results: Which pedal
Marshall Guv'nor
10 34%
Boss Mt-2
6 21%
Other
13 45%
Voters: 29.
Hello. I am looking for a distortion pedal. I have found two and would like you to help me pick one. If they arnt any good coudl some one recommend one please. I play quite alot of metal but i also like other stuff with a lighter touch. One of the main thigns is i am trying to find an affordable pedal that can create a similair tone to iron maiden. I would also like a pedal that has a variation. And it has to under 100 pounds. Thank you.
Neither of those pedals are very good. For the lighter dstortion and some metal, the Boss DS-1. It's realatively cheap, and is a pretty good pedal. For full blown metal, go with the Line 6 Uber Metal. It's got great distortion and even comes with a built-in noise suppressor that does a pretty good job.
Quote by GiantRaven
I'm sure theres a Nigerian king just waiting for you to reply to his email
Don't go Line 6. Their distortion pedals are nothing compared to the Metal Master by DigiTech or the Metal Zone by BOSS. I have both and love them. I have used the Uber Metal and it has nothing on those two. I would say the Metal Zone. I can dial in Iron Maiden and pretty much anything else. But you should go play them for yourself and see which one works best for you. The DS-1 is okay, but IMO it doesnt have enough distortion sometimes.
*Two Things To Remember*
1.) You can't spell Slaughter without Laughter

2.) A severed foot is the ultimate stocking stuffer
Quote by KIMB
Don't go Line 6. Their distortion pedals are nothing compared to the Metal Master by DigiTech or the Metal Zone by BOSS.

SWING AND A MISS!

Dont go Digitech OR Boss MT-2. The Digitech pedals dont have a distortion control (Death Metal and Metal Master) so youre stuck on 11 all the time.

Heres my "pedals that are (for the most part) worth a damn list":

Boss DS-1
Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde Ultimate Overdrive
Krank Distortus Maximus
DigiTech DF-7 Distortion Factory
Pro Co RAT2 Distortion
Line 6 ToneCore Uber Metal Distortion
Boss OS-2 Overdrive/Distortion
Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion
DigiTech Hot Head
Rocktron Zombie Rectified Distortion
Rocktron Silver Dragon
Ibanez SM7 Smash Box
Boss MD-2
Right-facing
BBE Crusher
Damage Control Solid Metal Dual Tube
Pro Co TurboRAT
DigiTech XHR Hot RodLine 6 DM-4
Rocktron Metal Planet
Rocktron Rampage
Hughes & Kettner Warp Factor Nu-Metal Distortion
^ Distortus Maximus? It sounds really..'fat'. The guy I was watching play it was playing heavier classic rock and it didnt sound too bad.
Oh yes, I really swung and missed there. Cause ya know, he wants a metallica sound and f*cking heaven forbid he use the pedal they used. The Metal Master does have a distortion control. Its just not labeled "Distortion". You dont own them, you wouldnt know I guess. Also you might check out MXR distoriton pedals.
*Two Things To Remember*

Metal zone, not metal master
*Two Things To Remember*

I'd still love to hear where you got that nugget of brilliance from...
Quote by KIMB
Oh yes, I really swung and missed there. Cause ya know, he wants a metallica sound and f*cking heaven forbid he use the pedal they used. The Metal Master does have a distortion control. Its just not labeled "Distortion". You dont own them, you wouldnt know I guess.

Settle down cowboy. First off why would Metallica use a cheap distortion pedal when they have 10,000 bucks worth of amps at their disposal? I find that highly unlikely. The Metal Master has "Level, Lo, Hi, and Morph" None of which control how much distortion it uses. I have owned one...and I work at a store where I have 4...wait 5 of them there and Ive put in a lot of time with not just the Metal Master but a lot of others as well. But yeah...I guess I wouldnt know.
Well, they DID use a ProCo Rat back when they were poor, but that still doesn't excuse thinking they'd use something as bad as the MZ...
^ yeah and back when they were poor was like 20 years ago wasnt it? Was the MT-2 and Master even around then?
Digitech's Metal Master doesn't have a control for the gain. The 'morph' knob basically controls the mids. And if you are talking about the original Marshall Guv'nor it's meant to be put in front of a tube amp. It sounds like crap in front of a solid state amp. But, the Marshall GV-2 Guv'nor is a different story... Marshall's newer distortion pedals are pretty good for the price.
i dont know what the marshall sounds like. but screw the mt-2. boss went wrong with that pedal. i personally dont like pedals period. but im just 1 person with 1 opinion.
Bugera 333XL
Epiphone SG
Ibanez Flanger
Shitty casette Recorder
Crate RFX 120

Member of the Bugera Users Militia
Quote by kurdtkobaign

Boss DS-1
Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde Ultimate Overdrive
Krank Distortus Maximus
DigiTech DF-7 Distortion Factory
Pro Co RAT2 Distortion
Line 6 ToneCore Uber Metal Distortion
Boss OS-2 Overdrive/Distortion
Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion
DigiTech Hot Head
Rocktron Zombie Rectified Distortion
Rocktron Silver Dragon
Ibanez SM7 Smash Box
Boss MD-2
Right-facing
BBE Crusher
Damage Control Solid Metal Dual Tube
Pro Co TurboRAT
DigiTech XHR Hot RodLine 6 DM-4
Rocktron Metal Planet
Rocktron Rampage
Hughes & Kettner Warp Factor Nu-Metal Distortion

Boss MD-2 ... the best pedal for hard rock/metal!
I agree with blind78... I've spent a lot on distortion pedals in the past 3-4 years. But, honestly, check out the Marshall distortion pedals - Jackhammer, Guv'nor 2, and Bluesbreaker 2. They were definitely the best I came across in the $0-$140 range. See if you can find a Radial ToneBone Hot British pedal for cheap somewhere... amazing pedal for that price. If not, just look for an EQ pedal and put it in the effect loop, way better idea then ending up with a crappy pedal. Another idea, get an ADA MP1 and use your Marshall as a poweramp. Put the MP1 in your effects loop to use the Marshall as a poweramp.
^The Bluesbreaker is an OD pedal. And I doubt that the threadstarter has enough money to buy an ADA MP1.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
They[the ADA] go for about $110 USD on ebay.

I say, sell the MG, and buy a small tube combo, like a peavey classic thirty. Then buy a good OD/Distortion pedal(Jekyll and Hyde, I hear is good). ADA's are amazing. You could run that through a tube amp for any tone you could want. Just remember: save up, and patience is key. If you want a good rig you will have to wait.
The Marshall BB-2 isn't just an OD - in the boost setting it acts as an OD, but in the blues setting (I think that's what it was) I haven't found any other pedal that gave me such a fat, smooth lead tone like the BB-2. Like I said, if he's stuck only spending a little amount, check out the Marshall Jackhammer, Bluesbreaker, and Guv'nor II... they are the best for that price range and even better than most double their price.

The ADA MP1 prices are all over the place, I know two guys who just bought one for an even better price than I got my modded MP1 (Mod4 MkII mod) for. I got mine for $180 and they found stock MP1's for $50!!! Sometimes it's good (for others) when people don't know what they have.

You don't even need to run an MP1 through a tube amp, just use your Marshall MG as a poweramp and put an MP1 in its effects loop.
The marshall shredmaster was highly rated i think before being discontinued, see if you can find one on ebay.
yer i got my mg a couple of months ago and i got it just before becomign a member of ug so i didnt hav the advice to buy a vox or roland or whatever. But im satisfied with it except i have 1 qeury about the amp. Why does my overdrive channel sound good when turned say below half and then it soudn a bit scrappy if u turn it up more than that. Is it because my guitar isnt of a high quality. If i get a betetr guitar will it still soudn liek that?
I think the Boss Metal Zone is an awesome pedal, if its matched with a good amp and its set up right, its killer. I used to have an old Marshall JMP head from 1976 and It sounded sick with a Metal Zone in-front of it. Saying that, I used to put it in front of a valvestate combo and it was dog poo !
^ Boss MZ? Common guys ... even boss's soundclips for the damn thing sound bad.
Gear
PRS Standard SE
Laney GH100L with Marhsall 1960BV
Digitech Bad monkey
Marshall EH1
EHX Small stone
EHX Small clone
Quote by Krieg Commando
yer i got my mg a couple of months ago and i got it just before becomign a member of ug so i didnt hav the advice to buy a vox or roland or whatever. But im satisfied with it except i have 1 qeury about the amp. Why does my overdrive channel sound good when turned say below half and then it soudn a bit scrappy if u turn it up more than that. Is it because my guitar isnt of a high quality. If i get a betetr guitar will it still soudn liek that?

No. You have a solidstate. Solidstates that are cranked tend to sound bad. If you want a good cranked sound, get a tube. If you don't switch amps, there really isn't much you can do. I would probably get a new amp, if I were you.
Quote by metallicaman80
. I would probably get a new amp, if I were you.

the words i hate most.
Bugera 333XL
Epiphone SG
Ibanez Flanger
Shitty casette Recorder
Crate RFX 120

Member of the Bugera Users Militia
Like I already said, the only way to 'save' the amp, get either an EQ pedal or an ADA MP1 and put it in the effects loop. With an EQ pedal you can boost and/or cut frequencies. The MP1 is a tube preamp, it's been used by a lot of bands and musicians - Metallica, Paul Gilbert, John Petrucci, and many more.