Saw the "Who do you think is the most OVERRATED bassist ever?" thread and decided to make a "What do you think is the most OVERRATED bass guitar ever? thread"

I think the most overrated bass guitar is a fender p-bass played a couple and thought they werent that special however i love the j-basses
^he said basses not bassists. why do you think he was talking about the P-bass
Quote by ImSheddingSkin
your avatar rules
Well, each to their own I guess. Everyone will have different tastes they means they may value certain basses more or less.
If anything, I'd maybe say any Rickenbacker bass - I do love them but they aren't that much better than a generic bass. They've become iconic and that has increased their worth in some people's eyes.
Aside from the Fenders...most basses that are really well known are REALLY GOOD.

Examples: Music Man, Warwick, Schecters, Spectors

So yea...the Precision Bass...
Well... I dunno if overated is the best word for it, but I haven't been terribly impressed with any fender jazz or precision.
Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray > Digitech BP200 > Gallien Krueger 400RBIII/115

Co-President of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Incubus_Science to join.

Quote by crazypeanutman

damn yertle, you got some groove
i think that the sr505 is a little over rated
"The grass is always greener on the other side..."
Quote by tetsuma
Bass work is just as important as guitar work, its people who dont understand this who fail.
Any bass from Gibson. Nuff said. The only thing they have going for them is looks, and even then only the Tbird looks decent.

Ive actualyl seen some okay Tbirds (both Gibbo and Epi) but were overpriced for their actual quality.

Edit_ the appeal of the Pbass is that it is incredibly simple and was the first (significant) electric bass around.
Once you get to the top, the only way to go is down.
If anyone else says the P-bass is overrated I will castrate them How is a bass that is favoured by thousands of artists across just about every genre overrated? Try telling Steve Harris to use something other than a P-bass...

Personally I think Gibson basses are overrated, purely as they are just rehashes of guitar models, with less strings and bigger necks...

Edit: I can't spell...
Last edited by fake_sk8r182 at Aug 29, 2006,
Quote by watchingmefall
I think that SX basses are overrated, they ok and everything, but some people act like they are the greatest thing since sliced bread.

At 110 bucks a pop, they are the greatest thing since sliced bread.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
^Back when they were hand made I would have gutted myself for saying that.
Ibanez Soundgear basses. I played one and it was disgusting. My cheap-ass Dean was better.
Quote by GreenDayChris
I drink, and say oi occasionally. but I can't get laid to save my life.

Quote by Symphonic_Chaos
MX4Life you fucking godhaha
Quote by Bumper
^Back when they were hand made I would have gutted myself for saying that.

that made me smile

i agree that 95's up suck. for the rediculous price anyways......

but fenders in general, i dont cacre for them. even the higher end ones feel like balsa wood in the neck to me.
Quote by Mr. T
"Mr. T defines love as the reluctance to murder. If you're still alive, it's because Mr. T loves you."
Gibsons aren't overrated, we all know they suck.

Ibanez and warwicks, all the ones I've played have that same sound. All that click, not a really nice singing tone. One of the bands here in my town plays one, and his tone such that it really doesn't matter what note he hits, its all just that clank and click, he just hits his bass to the beat. Kinda like Fieldy, except not as cool. And that is bad.
Quote by grimreaper65
Jazz basses.

P > J.

And don't even get me started on P/Js. Arg.

with all due respect, the Fender Jazz Bass is the #1 choice of pro bass players, studio musicians, and music producers, worldwide. there is no argument about this fact. so there is really nothing, to start. the P bass was the greatest thing ever to happen, to bass guitar. the Jazz was the "new and improved" model. both have stood the test of time, quite well. i play a Jazz, and still have the highest respect for the P.

oh' yea, the most overrated bass, with-out question is the Hofner 500/1 beatle bass,
played by Sir Paul McCartney(sp). they sucked then, and they suck, now.
Last edited by 83lespaulstudio at Aug 30, 2006,
Yeah I'd second Hofner's being the most overrated, and overpriced, basses.
Quote by 83lespaulstudio
with all due respect, the Fender Jazz Bass is the #1 choice of pro bass players, studio musicians, and music producers, worldwide. there is no argument about this fact. so there is really nothing, to start. the P bass was the greatest thing ever to happen, to bass guitar. the Jazz was the "new and improved" model. both have stood the test of time, quite well. i play a Jazz, and still have the highest respect for the P.

oh' yea, the most overrated bass, with-out question is the Hofner 500/1 beatle bass,
played by Sir Paul McCartney(sp). the sucked then, and they suck, now.

I'm not saying they're a bad instrument or anything, it's just they're regarded as the holy grail of bass by some, and it's sometimes the standard by which other things are set.

I'm still saving up for an active standard jazz though. Sweet.
The Fender Standard Jazz basses.

My reasons why: Very little natural thump. Very generic sound (cause well, everyone uses them). They sound like a bass with the guts and soul taken out of them.

Hofner Viola Bass. I hate this style of basses, nothing about the sound/shape/feel of this bass does anything for me.

Ibanez gsr200 (I think this is the model. Ibanez's starter bass.) Every single one I have played has been a pile of crap.
I'm actually going to agree about the Hofner. It's good, but nothing special. Just very overpriced, and overpraised because of Sir Paul.
Quote by elemenohpee

My reasons why: Very little natural thump. Very generic sound (cause well, everyone uses them). They sound like a bass with the guts and soul taken out of them.

I'd have to disagree with you on this one. Unless you have a ****ty amp or were playing a ****ty MIM Jbass, these basses have a great thump, and with the right EQ'ing you can definately find your kind of tone. They are definately not sterile sounding IMO. Those would go to the entry-level/mid-range Ibanez's.
Entry-level Ibanez bass guitars suck so much. I bought an Ibanez Soundgear bass pack after reading great reviews and hearing people rave about them. It sucks so much. I hate it. You can't even play it without fret buzz.
Quote by lespaul_rentals
Entry-level Ibanez bass guitars suck so much. I bought an Ibanez Soundgear bass pack after reading great reviews and hearing people rave about them. It sucks so much. I hate it. You can't even play it without fret buzz.

It's an entry level bass, it is what it is. I would have noticed the fretbuzz before I bought it.

I would have to agree w/ Fender's. atleast the modern ones, are very overrated...
BC Rich. All the scene kids ****ing dig that ****! Why? They're pointy and evil. It's a shame their tone is about as pretty as they look.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
Quote by elemenohpee

Don't you blaspheme in here!

Sorry, I love mine...I want an American one....

Anywho, back on topic.

1. Hofner
2. B.C Rich
3. Gibson
4. Spector (my opinion...sorry.)
5. Warwick
Current Bassist and Vocalist for The Illegal Exploits

Gear
2004 Fender Jazz
1978 Peavey Centurion MkIII
1975 MusicMan GH115
2008 Acoustic B410