Page 1 of 2
i installed a schaller tuner onto the headstock. after making holes bigger and adding some, i noticed the tuner isnt long enough.

it is barely tall enough to stick a string through. what should i do? grover tuners are the same height, so i cant use those. should i sand down the headstock to make it thinner, or go with something else? if so, i want it to be locking tuners, peferably brused or chrome. or should i leave it as is and deal with it?
Recognised by the Official Who To Listen To List 2012

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!
I wouldnt sand it. it would make the weakest part of the guitar eve weaker, if i were u i would get a diffrent set of locking tuners, perhaps some gototh off of www/stewartmacdonald.com
Go with it. It looks fine to me.
My Gear:
Gibson SG special (W/ S.D. Jazz(N) & JB (B))
Mesa-Boogie Solo Triple Rec. (with EL-34's)
Boss DD-6 Digital Delay
Boss TU-2 Chromatic tuner
(what else do i need)

Where i work:
www.beanstalkmusic.com
yea just sand it down but dont kill the neck . did you make it yourself or something?
Washburn X50
Peavey Triple XXX
BBE 462 Sonic Maximizer
MXR M-134 Smart Gate
Furman M8
B-52 LG412
Quote by soul_power
I wouldnt sand it. it would make the weakest part of the guitar eve weaker, if i were u i would get a diffrent set of locking tuners, perhaps some gototh off of www/stewartmacdonald.com

gotoh tuners would work, but are 14 dollars more, and aren't locking

and the neck is a squier neck.

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!
Just...what is the word? Like, drill a hole the exact size of the nut/washer, so they have a very small indentation to sit in. Then they are not sitting above the surface of the neck, but flush to it, and you'll have enough room to easily get a string through.
^kinda thought about that, the bad thing is, the wood may not be all that attractive. i have a drill press which would help alot, but theres a chance of the wood chipping

Quote by steven seagull
^x2 tapered drill bit?
Populus vult decipi. Decipiatur.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
It's can be a contraction and genitive case.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
If you cut down on these costs students won't learn so well, effecting the "quality"...
The wood doesn't have to be attractive: the wood in the indintation you make is covered up by a nut/washer combo thingy. Wood chipping? I wouldn't think you'd have that much of a problem, did you have a problem while widening the holes? If you go slow and use a good sharp drill bit, I'd think you'd be fine. Still can't think of the word....

anyways, the depth of the hole would be the thickness of your washer.
yea, i understand what you mean, i bought a new drill bit for making the hole bigger, since i didnt have the right size. i did it freehand, but i know that it can be done cleaner with a drill press. and where the washer ends and wood begins, should be attractive, the part im talking about wouldnt be covered by the washer.

is indent the word you are thinking of?

Quote by steven seagull
No, I'm sure there is a word....countersunk! that's it!

yeah, I see your point about the edges looking good....in a perfect world, the edge would be completely seamless. As it is....how much did you pay for the guitar? if it was less than $500, don't worry about the edgeslooking perfect
They are locking tuners, for the best tuning stability, you only want 3/4 of a wind. As long as you can get the string thru the hole, it will be fine. The tuner acts like a pulley this way taking most of the force, and the strings don't bind on eachother because they don't make a full wind.

Quote by Fender website
Locking tuning keys - Imagine the headcap of the neck is the face of a clock, with the top being at 12 o'clock and the nut at 6 o'clock. Line the six tuning machines so that the 1st string keyhole is set at 1 o'clock, the 2nd at 2 o'clock, the 3rd and 4th at 3 o'clock, the 5th at 4 o'clock, and the 6th at 5 o'clock. Pull the strings through taut, and tighten the thumb wheel locking the string in. Now tune to pitch.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
stop!!!!!!!!!!

its supposed to be like that- there locking, and they have staggered string height to eliminate strin holders

they are all like that- just pull your string tight through it, lock it and tune- and you will be good
^ill put them on, and see what happens

Quote by steven seagull
As long as the hole is free and clear, no worries. You could sand down the back of the headstock a little, but if you're worried about headstock strength, you could always take a router and cut out a trench for the tuners to sit. This would leave the rest of the headstock the same thickness. Did you get staggered tuners, or are they all the same height?
^i didnt care to check that, i think they are all the same size. they are work, so i cant check. but the whole is clear, just barely though

Quote by steven seagull
Quote by tongue untied
stop!!!!!!!!!!

its supposed to be like that- there locking, and they have staggered string height to eliminate strin holders

they are all like that- just pull your string tight through it, lock it and tune- and you will be good

Yea, that guy knows his stuff.

BUT!

The Schaller Locking 6-in-line tuners feature staggered string post holes. The tuners with the holes higher above the face of the peghead are used on the E, A, and D strings, and the shorter hole posts are for the G, B, and E strings. This allows the strings to have a steeper angle off the nut than with traditional tuners ? eliminating the need for string trees. The 3L/3R sets of tuners all have the same length tuning post.

Do you got it the wrong way round, put the short ones to the top ones, and the long ones for the bottom strings.
Quote by Invictious

Do you got it the wrong way round, put the short ones to the top ones, and the long ones for the bottom strings.

yea, they are staggared. i didnt even care to check that. thanks, it looks better.

Quote by steven seagull
whats in it for me????

Quote by steven seagull
^ hahaha

and yes- i did get it wrong- srry. couldnt remeber exactly- but im installint string trees on my tele- so it didnt really mater- so the short ones ar eon the LOW E , well see how it goes
Same exact thing happened to me and my Shallers on a Squier neck. Solution? Sand down 2mm and do a light lacquer coat.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
how did you sand it?

i think if i sand it, im gonna secure a piece of sandpaper to a table and have my way at it. i dont have a disk sander, so im limited to wood working materials.

Quote by steven seagull
Sanding block.

Low tech, but it worked.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
ah, well, i got the tuners on, they look fine. the high strings could stick out a bit more, but all is good. pics tommorow

Quote by steven seagull
okay guys, i got them on, its amazing what a difference a drill press makes as poopsed to free hand

Quote by steven seagull
^is an alder strat. ive also done alot of stuff to it. only thing that will be stock is the wood.

which brings me to a question, should i wire it 2vol 1 tone, or 1 vol, 2 tone?

X2N, fastrack, chopper

Quote by steven seagull
I usually eliminate the second tone. But since you probibly dont want to leave a hole do two volumes.
Quote by UniverseZero
2 tone 1 vol.... or refill and refinish the guitar :p

Why would he refill and refinish when he's using a pickguard?
put 2 vol 1 tone knobs since all strats have 2 tones, you can have a truely original strat then. I also think 2 tones are pointless. Wouldn't it be cool if you were playing in the bridge and middle pickup configuration with the middle turned down a bit. Then you could have the highs of the bridge shining with the warmth of the middle. Just something I've longed to do so you can pick whatever you want though.
the main reason i wanted 2 volumes was to do the killswitch effect. but i didnt think about that.
its gonna be a few days untill i wire it, so no hurry.

Quote by steven seagull
Last edited by tubadude at Aug 30, 2006,
Quote by tongue untied
^ just wire it up 1 vol one tone dude- and leave the 3rd switch as a dummy

teh 2 tone thing is stupid imo. when i mod my strat- thats the first thing im doin.

Yeah but instead of a dummy switch, use the 3rd hole for a kill switch. You're wanting that effect anyways.
what should i use as an actual switch? button or a switch?

Quote by steven seagull
That's up to you, you could use like the push kill switch like buckethead uses. It just interupts the signal when you press it. I prefer an on off toggle switch. But, I think that the button will look better, and with it you don't have to worry about killing your signal accidently when you're playing.
Page 1 of 2