When a band starts out in the classic period, and their career spans into the modern rock period (such as the rolling stones), are they still considered classic rock?
Quote by Pinballwizard93
you sir, Martinikiss7, should be president.

Jizz is where it is
Good question, I honestly don't know..

I hate labeling bands with a genre, but I guess my answer would be:

If the band sticks to its roots (musically speaking), I believe its still the same genre, despite of when its made.. So yea, in my oppinion: yes, Rolling Stones are still considered classic rock.
Love, Peace 'N Rock to you all!
Sorry for my bad english, I'm danish
^does that also mean someone comming out today who played music true to that period would be classic rock?
Quote by happytimeharry
ig·no·rant

1. Lacking education or knowledge.
2. Showing or arising from a lack of education or knowledge: an ignorant mistake.
3. Unaware or uninformed.

also see: elitist asshat
Quote by atc228
^does that also mean someone comming out today who played music true to that period would be classic rock?

I don't think so, just someone who was around during that time period.
Quote by Pinballwizard93
you sir, Martinikiss7, should be president.

Jizz is where it is
.... yes...

why wouldnt they be? a classic rock band is from the 60's and 70's (and i guess 80s) and have influenced other post-classic rock bands with their music. classic rock is merely a term, its not an era really. althought classic rock bands are focued towards the 60's and 70's, classic rock is just a term to describe bands who are.. well classic to rock.

its not like the rollings stones are instantly a modern rock band just because they play in 2006.. it has nothing to do with "join date". look at nirvana, came alot later than a band in the 60's, but definately becoming an influential band. i mean in terms of how newer artists are being influenced. where as nirvana might have been influenced by bands from the 70's, bands from 2006 might be influenced by bands from the 90s (which many are)
this is one of the more intelligent questions that have been on here for a while. great question. thank you
I would think so. We get a syndicated radio broadcast here cause we live in the sticks. It's called "The Classic Rock Station". They have this thing called "new rock by classic artists". Then again they do play Motley Crue and Metallica. I think it's more of a genre thing but also they know their fans do want to hear newer songs than just the '60's. Doesn't mean that an older band couldn't turn on newer fans, or even get a second chance. The Rolling Stones, even if they don't sell many records, will make billions of dollars on a tour.
Quote by atc228

.. yet another good question (good topic for a good discussion..)

Take 'Wolfmother', imo they play classic rock. They play music which is similar/true to the period of classic rock (60's, 70's, 80's... in the eyes of the majority of people I guess)
Love, Peace 'N Rock to you all!
Sorry for my bad english, I'm danish
I say all music is good, no matter if you like it, it may inspire someone who inspires you.