why do you guys think most bassist or i should say almost all bassist dont use distortion?? cause i think it sounds wicked but then a lot of people dont use it???
"The grass is always greener on the other side..."
Quote by tetsuma
Bass work is just as important as guitar work, its people who dont understand this who fail.
Well, most bands don't use distortion on their bass because the bass is there for another purpose...
I mean, music wouldn't sound the same without the bass providing the background sound it does... making the music sound a bit too dry.
It's hard to explain, but unless the bass is the lead instrument, there's no reason why it should use distortion.
distortion tends to remove the booming, bottom-end of a bass. this boom, in conjunction with the kick drum, make up the heartbeat of a song.
^ That's why the pro's bi-amp, one clean tone that has booming bottom, and one that has the awesome sound.

I love distortion
haha
i love my odb-3, right technique and right EQ and junk and it sounds almost like slapping with fuzz.

im surprised no one mentioned the muse.
Quote by Mongoose87
Entwistle played a lead style, and he didn't use distortion.

When entwistle played live, he used distortion for all his lead parts.
Bass Guitars:
Warwick - Corvette $$
Gibson Thunderbird IV
Tanglewood - Warrior II
Stagg - Semi Acoustic Bass

Amp:
Behringer BX3000T Head
Behringer BB115 Cabinet
You think Entwistle played with distortion?

Let Ever hear of Lemmy? He plays through a pair of Marshall JMP Superbasses (hot rodded of course) 2 4x12's and 2 4x15's

Hearing that rig live is an experience in itself. He has bass and treble down and midrange cranked up. His Rickenbacker 4004 is cranked too

His tone is INSANE, it is so god damn loud and overdriven...when I heard it live I though my ear drums were gonna blow and the PA wasn't even on yet!
Guitars
MIM Fender Telecaster
Art & Lutherie Cedar
1969 EKO Ranchero
G&L Tribute L2500

Amps
Traynor YCV40WR
Yorkville BM400H
Peavey TVX 4x10

Effects
Behringer DSP1000
Dunlop GCB95 Wah
Digitech HotRod
BBE Sonic Stomp
Quote by Apok
You think Entwistle played with distortion?

Ever hear of Lemmy? He plays through a pair of Marshall JMP Superbasses (hot rodded of course) 2 4x12's and 2 4x15's

Hearing that rig live is an experience in itself. He has bass and treble down and midrange cranked up. His Rickenbacker 4004 is cranked too

His tone is INSANE, it is so god damn loud and overdriven...when I heard it live I though my ear drums were gonna blow and the PA wasn't even on yet!

Last time I heard lemmy play bass was for Dave Grohl's side project Probot...

And he played it clean... but ya good point Lemmy's sound is big with a s**t load of overdrive most of the time.
Bass Guitars:
Warwick - Corvette $$
Gibson Thunderbird IV
Tanglewood - Warrior II
Stagg - Semi Acoustic Bass

Amp:
Behringer BX3000T Head
Behringer BB115 Cabinet