Page 1 of 2
I dont know what to call myself , whether a good , a bad , or a great guitar player ...WHEN DO I KNOW THAT I AM A GOOD GUITAR PLAYER???

I can play some Metallica Solos like:
fade to black ( easy )
jump in the fire
ride the lightning
the four horsemen

AM I A GOOD GUITAR PLAYER??
You're a musician. There is a no bad or good, there's no defintion.. it's entirely subjective. Don't worry about it.. good, bad, mediocre, amazing, inspirational, horrendous... all the adjectives in the world can't describe it, whatever other people think you are, you're a musician and that's all that matters.

Don't sweat over what to label yourself..
you know your good when you come to threads like this and laugh.

when you can jam comfortably with other musicians id say you have some skill.
Tool kicks ass
Quote by Johnljones7443
You're a musician. There is a no bad or good, there's no defintion.. it's entirely subjective. Don't worry about it.. good, bad, mediocre, amazing, inspirational, horrendous... all the adjectives in the world can't describe it, whatever other people think you are, you're a musician and that's all that matters.

Yep, he is right. If you are satisfied, than you are at the spot you should be at.
Please help me by reviewing my lyrics
i read this somewhere i forgot, but it says if ur playing and u realize how bad you are, youve reached a new level of playing, and thats pretty true.
your descriptions basically show that you can look up tabs. there is really no way to measure how good a guitarist is, since it is such a varied instrument. granted it is easy to tell the difference between a very skilled player and someone completly new, but it really takes more than being able to copy solos.
Quote by Johnljones7443

umm, there is a bad and there is a good. that was a stupid post.
Tool kicks ass
hey bro, well personaly I think if you can play all those solos accuratly your pretty damn good. maybe have someone video tape you playin and compare it the original versoin. Try learning (if you dont know it already) Beast and The Harlet - Avenged Sevenfold. If you can play all of that near flawlessly I will take off my hat to you. (and I dont ware hats) I can only play 65% of that. Peace.
Quote by jaydub
your descriptions basically show that you can look up tabs. there is really no way to measure how good a guitarist is, since it is such a varied instrument. granted it is easy to tell the difference between a very skilled player and someone completly new, but it really takes more than being able to copy solos.

exactly, especially if you learned those solo's using something like guitar pro, or powertabs, where they basically spoonfeed it to you.

hows your timing? your rhythm playing? your ear? those are more important that being able to play a few tabs.
Quote by Arkane
umm, there is a bad and there is a good. that was a stupid post.

Really? Define me the word good, then define me the word bad, and then look up the word subjective.
Quote by Deception Guru
nope, in fact your horrrible if metallica solos is your repetoir

what solos should I learn then?
Well I'm not sure about your playing but you are low on self esteem by the looks of it. Just play the music for the love of it not for the 'look at me''
The guitar has an endless amount of skill, even if you can play that solo can you play it 200% speed? thats the best thing about guitar, the challenge is limitless
When it comes to things such as art and music. There is no "perfect" or "good" or "great" Don't measure yourself alongside someone else. Just because you can't play a guitar faster than that other guy doesn't mean your a bad guitar player. And I'm sure its been said already, but don't play to get attention. You can't enjoy guitar if all your worried about is measuring yourself up to someone's standards. Have fun with it =D
There is a no bad or good, there's no defintion.. it's entirely subjective

Simply false.

Frankly, there can be a "good musician" and a "bad musician" based on the level of proficiency in the skills of music (ear, theory knowledge, improvisational skills).

And there is such thing as a good guitar player and a bad one. A good one has proficiencity and control over ones insturment, a bad one does not.

Taste in music is subjective, this is not.
^What level of proficieny? What level of control? What level of skills? Where's this magical pre-determined level of profiecieny and control where someone becomes good?

That level of proficiency and control is personal to you and what you think.. that pre-determined magical point is determined by you.. which is the reason it is subjective.
Great guitarists practice the tiny things that good guitarists dont........ Trust me, if all you play is Metallica your not my definition of a great or good guitarist
heres the thing you can be a good guitarist in terms of technique and skill, but you may not be a good musician, when you dont know theory, etc. id say your not a bad player, but if you dont know theory you gotta work on that.

(btw, i barely know theory and im a mediocre gutiarist, i cant afford lessons, but im trying to get some books to help me.)
When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.
-Jimi Hendrix
why is everyone hating metallica like they are average solos. they are pretty advanced for me at least, think your jumping on the hate metallica band wagon
You judge yourself...
Dimebag Is God!!!!

President Of The Official Dimebag Darrell Fan Club
PM Me to Join

Member #28 of the Official Alkaline Trio Fan Club. PM greenfinger182 to join.
For me, it's not the question of good or bad...is it "Am I a great guitarist? Or the greatest guitarist?"

Oh yeah.
just do whatever
Quote by steven seagull
good, however give yourself a pat on the back for starting a thread that contains a picture of Optimus Prime!

Quote by Schneiderman
This thread sucks and is now about slot cars.
You know youre great if you can play whatever you want to play. Its about your control over the instrument. You hear something in your head, you can play it. Someone puts a guitar in your lap, you can play a piece that'll earn praise from people around you.
Youtube covers

[url="http://www.youtube.com/user/MrJumboHumbo[/URL"]
It's sort of a thing you just know inside you. Not arrogance, but a certain confidence in your playing, that tells you "I know what I'm doing."

Either that, or you can play any of Hendrix's songs after listening to them once.
^What level of proficieny? What level of control? What level of skills?

The one set by the audiance because in a performance the audiance is who matters.
Ffs I Am Sick Of Newbs Asking This Sht
U Able To Play A Song Doesn't Show How Good You Are!!!!
Quote by blackhorsemen
what solos should I learn then?

Your own maybe?

hrm...anyone can learn good solos, it takes a good guitarist to play them. It takes a great guitarist, however, to play with other people.
No fucking images.

Ghey.
Quote by blackhorsemen
I dont know what to call myself , whether a good , a bad , or a great guitar player ...WHEN DO I KNOW THAT I AM A GOOD GUITAR PLAYER???

.... AM I A GOOD GUITAR PLAYER??

When you grow up, hopefully you will get a mind of your own (there's no guarantee
of that). Then you'll realize it really doesn't matter. The only real approval you
need to seek is your own.
No, Kirk Hammet does write really really good solos. I know a lot of his myself, but that is not all I learn. You need to expand your range more. Also, don't think of youself as good or bad. You can learn solos, so therefore you are obviously not bad. So the point here is just that you play guitar. Period. Let people who listen to you play decide if you are good or great.
i know what your looking for but I'm affraid there is no benchmark. maybe you can play some solos but can you do hendrix cords? or lamb of gods alt picking? can you improvise?
Quote by Alex_Arseneau
hey bro, well personaly I think if you can play all those solos accuratly your pretty damn good. maybe have someone video tape you playin and compare it the original versoin. Try learning (if you dont know it already) Beast and The Harlet - Avenged Sevenfold. If you can play all of that near flawlessly I will take off my hat to you. (and I dont ware hats) I can only play 65% of that. Peace.

ha city of evil sucks.. if you wana learn sevenfold solos learn something off waking the fallen like second heartbeat or i wont see you tonight part 2
WTF, why are people so obsessed with comparing themselves to others! Heres a simple rule for you all to follow....

Guy who plays the styles he/she likes and lerns the skills and techniques = gd player
Sum1 who plays of of tune/key and wailes = bad player
person who trys to play air guitar with a strap = retarded player!!!!

SIMPLE!

Just practise n wen sum1 asks how you do that, then u no ur gd!
i believe personally, a good musician needs to feel completly comfortable with his surrounding and himself, you got to be able to play live as good as being alone, you have to be able to improvise and make melodies right off your head, you need feel, dont just go for technique, and trust me, ull kno when you'll be good, its basically being able to adapt to many styles, improvise and come up with good melodies, technique is bonus, but it can extend your playing,

my tip, before you see how fast you can play

figure out how slow you can play

worked for satriani, worked for me, try to write melodies from one or two notes, then add another, and slowly move your speed up, slow and steady haha
You know you're a good guitarist when other people start telling you without you baiting for it.

You know you're a great guitarist when you wake up next to 3 stupidly hot women in the luxury suite of the hotel you're staying at while in town for your show.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
let's look at it like this:

a bad guitarist is one who simply can't even handle the basics, like proper fingering, strumming patterns, alternate picking, changing chords, muting strings, etc... those people are deadly obvious, and they ARE bad guitarists.

a good guitarist is anyone who has the basics down and plays regularly. practice is good, but as long as you're playing, and can make it sound like some level of music, you're a good guitarist. the rest is all relative

being a musician is a whole other thing completely. if you want to be a good musician, you must be a good or exceptionally good guitarist (or whatever instrument), AND you must know SOME music theory, preferably lots. you must have good timing, you must be able to play well with just about anyone, you must be able to compose songs or melodies, you must be able to arrange music, and you must be able to perform it. well.

bad musicians aren't musicians for long. pop stars who have great images and incidentally play an instrument aren't usually good musicians, and that's why most MTV bands just come and go in a couple of years. they're celebrities more than they are musicians.

so it depends if the thread starter was asking about being a good guitarist or a good musician
I think John is right here. Too many people get caught up in "How good am I"? Personally, for me.. i am better than i was when i started, but not as good as i want to be. We are all students, just at different levels of our study. This thread is silly, and quite frankly you'd probably be better than you are now if you spent time practicing and not asking people how good you are on the internet.

Why dont you record yourself doing some improv to a drum track and that will give us an idea if you really need that ego boost.

Quote by Ace88
You know you're a good guitarist when other people start telling you without you baiting for it.

Not really. I can play a simple chord progression with some hammers and some people ill go "Wow, you're good on guitar".

Quote by Ace88
You know you're a great guitarist when you wake up next to 3 stupidly hot women in the luxury suite of the hotel you're staying at while in town for your show.

And i thought i was the only one that had happened to. Damn.

Quote by frigginjerk
let's look at it like this:

a bad guitarist is one who simply can't even handle the basics, like proper fingering, strumming patterns, alternate picking, changing chords, muting strings, etc... those people are deadly obvious, and they ARE bad guitarists.

I kind of agree, but if i have just started playing, then i cant be called a bad guitarist because i am a beginner. If you've been playing for five years and you cant change chords properly, then i guess you could say that. But to me, i would never disrespect another musician like that. As long as you're playing something, that's cool with me. Some people are happy just strumming Hotel California for fun.. not everyone wants to be Satch

Love and Biscuits
xx
Last edited by Applehead at Sep 1, 2006,
Page 1 of 2