I'm not exactly sure, but it's the same set of note. I consider it plagarism already (in my opinion) even if you change the note durations because I didn't come up with that set of notes. It seems a bit easier to come up with an interesting rhythm than an interesting set of notes, not to be arrogant, it's not always like that.

I supposer it is as big a deal as you make it, a lot of people have different ideas of plagarism.
You can twist it to make it your own, but don't just change the key. It will still be too obvious I think. Borrowing can produce some great riffs of your own, that when you look back you say, "Wow...that's nothing like what I started with." As long as you spin it, shake it, and make it your own, no worries. Great guitar players have always done this.
Please help me by reviewing my lyrics
I don't see why not. It's fine unless you're copying it. Make some variations like maybe holding out a note longer or whatever. Just watch out for the guy that jumps out from behind you telling you that what you're doing is copywrite.
Member of the 'Guitarists Born In 1991' Club. PM Greendayguitar, gdm09 or blues_rocker to join.

-Gibson LP Classic
-Fender American Standard Strat
-Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
-Peavey XXX w/Marshall Cab
yeah, I'm really not *trying* to steal riffs, I'm just having trouble writing ones that I like...and when I try to turn someone else's riff into something cool and original, I always end up back at the original riff...any ideas?
I'd like to avoid borrowing if possible...meh...
Quote by houseofllama
yeah, I'm really not *trying* to steal riffs, I'm just having trouble writing ones that I like...and when I try to turn someone else's riff into something cool and original, I always end up back at the original riff...any ideas?
I'd like to avoid borrowing if possible...meh...

If you want to avoid borrowing, you need to just sit down and mess around. Or plan out a cool rhythm, than add in the notes. You really need to try and clear your mind of any music you were listening to recently, I find it intrudes while I am trying to be original lol. Don't be ashamed of borrowing, as long as you make it your own.
Check out Dani California. The first four notes in the solo are from Purple Haze. Frusciante sort of pays homage to Hendrix, but keeps it original by lowering the key and adding a series of hammers and pulls. It sounds great when you can grab someone's attention with a lick that is familiar then finish it with something catchy albeit original.
Quote by Cleared
Check out Dani California. The first four notes in the solo are from Purple Haze.

Never realized that, and I like the solo in that song. Funny haha.
Quote by Cleared
Check out Dani California. The first four notes in the solo are from Purple Haze. Frusciante sort of pays homage to Hendrix, but keeps it original by lowering the key and adding a series of hammers and pulls. It sounds great when you can grab someone's attention with a lick that is familiar then finish it with something catchy albeit original.

I think it does pay tribute to the artist you are inspired by. I have a couple of lines in a song that basically credit the Clash and Ozzy in two lines with the music and lyrical harmony directly mirror their lyrics, but it is my own song. Even though the song is basically the same progression as a Social D song. Really though if a famous musician is bothering you about money, and your making money, he obviously needs it more than you, so help your heros out.
Yeah I think its ok as well, as long as its not too obvious. Sure, the darkness do i all the time, you can hear alot of similarities between them and acdc and queen. Its not neccessarily a bad thing, some people might listen to them just for that reason.
check out the first track on Out of exile by audioslave, es it is Bad Seed by metallica note for note bar one A that Morello plays instaed of a G, I love the band and musicians but that pi*sed me off a great deal so unless you want other people feeling the same about you just dont do it!
i dont know if ur a fan of jazz, but for gods sake...look at what "Rhythm Chages" are.

tons of jazz songs stole that progression but they tweaked the melodies and rhythms.

dont take the riff, take the idea it portrays.
Originally posted by skeptopotamus
Well, me and my lab of expert scienticians have created an ingenius device that will capture one's flatulence and transport it to a nearby foe's rectum, thus attributing any foul odors towards your enemies, mblavin.
Id say that if it's musical verbatim then you're an asshole.

If you change it, then good on you for taking something and making it your own.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Quote by Ace88
Id say that if it's musical verbatim then you're an asshole.

If you change it, then good on you for taking something and making it your own.

agreed. but in a pinch i suppose you can get away with some rock cliche licks or maybe a brief homage lick thrown in. but it's probably not a good idea to do something like, i dunno, use a stolen lick as the main riff for your song. be discreet about it, and better yet, play around with the lick and make it yours.
take a look at Canon and how many times its been rebirthed and repuked.
or O Fortuna.
'87 Fender Strat
Oscar Schmidt Archtop
Laney LC15R
if its a cover song thats fine, but if its a song that you wrote (except said solo) id think thats definatly a big deal. i dunno about anyone else but i think it just shows that youre lazy. just write ur own dam solo
u cant spell slaughter without laguhter!

Quote by drew
look, lets not go into who drunk-called who, who threw what at who, or who put what in the freezer
ok...you are seriously missing the point.
I am NOT, I repeat NOT looking for justification for plagiarism...let's get that straight. I am asking how much liberty I have when drawing inspiration from the work of others. Of course I want to write something new and original, but I just want to know where the line is between copying a riff and adapting it to suit my needs...sometimes I come across a cool riff or rhythm and I think "Wow, that's awesome, I want to use something like that in one of my songs..." I'm not talking about copying notes verbatim, but borrowing musical ideas...
It is unreasonable for you to call me lazy and/or an asshole...if you would just take the time to think through what I am asking you, you would not have to insult me.
Thank you.