hey i was wondering if anyone could help me with this. i have a marshall mg50dfx, whcih i know is a little famous for bad feebback but this only seems to be the case if its in the wrong spot. i had it up on a stand once and the feedback was horrible, but sitting in a corner its as silent as a ghost unless i'm am doing two things.

-have full gain at 10 playing my bridge pickup and treble tone at 10.

-using a wah wah pedel, it seems to sharpen the treble and makes the feedback more oppressive.

so is feedback a normal occurence in amps or is this a problem? any help would be great thanx guys
"The guitar is just a wonderful instrument. It's everything: a bartender, a psychiatrist, a housewife. its everything, but it's elusive." -Les Paul
That's perfectly normal. What type of guitar is it? A strat, I'm assuming by your name?
Alvarez dreadnought
Gibson SG
EC-1000
Homemade Strat (seymour duncan classic stack p/ups)
Vox Tonelab (original desktop model) with full board footswitch
Vox AD50
well obviously its a normal occurence if the feedback you're thinking about is what im thinking about. move your guitar further away from the amp and it should stop or get an effects pedal that has a noise gate on it and you'll have no problems anymore.
don't face your amp
Now officially has too much gear to list

PM me if you want to know about my recording setup
I have a different question. How do you get the feedback to hit a certain pitch.. In my Aerosmith tab book, it says Feedback:pitch F#

EDIT: I can get feedback, but it isnt the right pitch
Seattle Seahawks

Quote by chookiecookie
i feel like you have an obsession with aubrey plaza.

Quote by WCPhils
at least we can all agree SGstriker is the woooooooooooooooooooooorst
yeah wah pedal can cause feedback.. thats usually the only way I get feedback on my amp
Quote by SGstriker
I have a different question. How do you get the feedback to hit a certain pitch.. In my Aerosmith tab book, it says Feedback:pitch F#

EDIT: I can get feedback, but it isnt the right pitch

You play an F# standing in front of your amp, and if your amp is loud enough the sound coming from the speaker will vibrate the string on the guitar allowing the note to sustain endlessly.
SS amps are worse then tubes.....but turn you gain down a bit...mabey 8?..it should almsot have the same amount of gain...but the feedback will be less

wahs are horrable with FB...

but if your useing a stra with sigle coil pups ( that will make more FB)

humbuckers do just that...buck the hum
Stop Reading My Signature

Gear:
Schecter C-1 Blackjack w/ EMG 81/85 PA2
Schecter C-1 Classic
Carvin V3m
Boss GE-7
Boss DD-3
God...you guys don't know much do you?

The way it works is the sound from your amps speakers cause the guitar and strings to vibrate, and it sends the signal back into the amp, causing a loop. The issue here is getting your strings/pickups not to vibrate...
Make sure your pickups are potted. The volume that's hitting your guitar is what makes it feed back. Dampen the strings; learn to play so that you don't leave strings uncovered long enough for them to start feeding back. Put the amp in front of you, whatever.

Solid state won't feedback more or less than tubes, as long as you're at the same volume. Certain pitches will be more likely to cause feedback depending on the resonance of your guitar body and other stuff...
Meh, just google it. To lazy to explain more.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
Quote by That_Pink_Queen
God...you guys don't know much do you?

The way it works is the sound from your amps speakers cause the guitar and strings to vibrate, and it sends the signal back into the amp, causing a loop. The issue here is getting your strings/pickups not to vibrate...
Make sure your pickups are potted. The volume that's hitting your guitar is what makes it feed back. Dampen the strings; learn to play so that you don't leave strings uncovered long enough for them to start feeding back. Put the amp in front of you, whatever.

Solid state won't feedback more or less than tubes, as long as you're at the same volume. Certain pitches will be more likely to cause feedback depending on the resonance of your guitar body and other stuff...
Meh, just google it. To lazy to explain more.

dont just come and call me a dumbass...a SS amp will produce a super nasty ringing/squeal at high volumes...even if the strings are muted (only stops if the volume is truned to ) on the guitar..or turned down on the amp)...which ive never gotten from any tube amps at high volumes.....

but true you do need to work on muting strings...

but i think the feedback hes talking about is that static/ type of sound from the MG......like the sound you would get from gain at 10, treble at 10, and guitar volume at 10 and a wah ...ect.
Stop Reading My Signature

Gear:
Schecter C-1 Blackjack w/ EMG 81/85 PA2
Schecter C-1 Classic
Carvin V3m
Boss GE-7
Boss DD-3
yes i play an american fender deluxe stratocaster and it just gets this nasty static sound when its on high gain with my bridge pickup and tone on 10. i also notice it stops if i touch the guitar like on the bridge,strings or even the tip of the tremolo. if i touch it, silent, lift my finger it starts feedbacking again lol
"The guitar is just a wonderful instrument. It's everything: a bartender, a psychiatrist, a housewife. its everything, but it's elusive." -Les Paul
Quote by numbfinger
dont just come and call me a dumbass...a SS amp will produce a super nasty ringing/squeal at high volumes...even if the strings are muted (only stops if the volume is truned to ) on the guitar..or turned down on the amp)...which ive never gotten from any tube amps at high volumes.....

He came but never called you a dumbass
Quote by numbfinger

but true you do need to work on muting strings...

but i think the feedback hes talking about is that static/ type of sound from the MG......like the sound you would get from gain at 10, treble at 10, and guitar volume at 10 and a wah ...ect.

hmm odd i seen to get more feedback from my vaivetronix vox amp(has one tube that it models the sounds off of) than any other amp but only with a distortion pedal. a tube amp is more likely to give off feed back than a solid state if you are useing a distortin pedal at high gain and volume because the tube amp adds gain to the sound.
Quote by LeoKhenir
I love you, Killer Bacon.
First off, you have an amp thet's VERY prone to fedback. Next, I'm guessing you play a single coil strat, and those are notorious for giving feedback. Also, you may want to try getting a longer cord, sometimes it's just standing too close.
Dickless.