OK this is my first post and excuse my frustration but I have seen this on various tabs from time to time and there is no way that I can see to play this properly...

take learn to fly by foo fighters for example... very appropo as I am new to guitar but cmon....

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/f/foo_fighters/learn_to_fly_tab.htm

e
B
G 4 6
D x ..... x
A 2 4
E

Ive given the link and the tab in question. Just how is someone suppose to play both notes at the same time with an x in between. Don't tell me it's muted either cause it sounds like complete garbage! I don't think I'm alone because there are five different tabs for that song at least on this site and my bet is is because people are struggling to find an easy way to play the song.

Now this sounds better but falls short on the 6 6 4 and sounds wrong.

e
B
G 4 6
D 4 ..... 6
A 2 4
E

ok so it's muted but how the heck are you supposed to mute it on a fast song with applying too much pressure!? Do you use the tip of your pinky finger while that smae finger is also a string higher up fretting?? I don't get it... electric guitars are sooooooooooo sensitive that feather muting a string as required by the tab 500 times in that song is bound to lead to mistakes that sound bad... and the song is relatively easy so why the mute??? Or can someone tell me what fingering they use and how they mute that string everytime to sound correctly... I would love to know.

Better yet someone post the tab the way the foo fighters play the song and then I can't say anything because the song sounds great. Honestly tell me that you can play that muted string over and over.
just mute it with the underside of you're pointerfinger/whatever finger's playing the low string
either mute it with the finger playing the low note OR just quit whining and use two fingers to pick instead of a pick, both work and sound fine
Yes you mute it but you'll have to practice to get it to sound good. Not completely mute, lay your finger gently on the note.
I know 2 ways. First is to use the finger that holds the lower 4th fret to rest on the string underneath, second is to use your 2nd or 3rd finger to mute the x (some times you'll need to do that with riffs like

x

anyways, stop being a bitch and figure it out