Ive got a les paul custom fitted with EMG's and when I stop playin and mute the strings theres a slight mains hum or buzz coming from my amp. As soon as I touch any of the volume knobs (which are the metal tele style) the buzzing stops. I didnt think EMG's needed to be earthed to the strings and there not so anyone got any ideas how I can stop it ?
Yeah, I know but im still gonna get the problem when im not touching the strings. My other guitars with emg's have never had this.
You said that when you touched the pots it went away. Check the grounding on them (also check out star grounding. Google it.)
Quote by livrockdie
You said that when you touched the pots it went away. Check the grounding on them (also check out star grounding. Google it.)

Stole my advice
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
earthing it? lol
Member #5 of the UG Luthier's club.
member #3 of the vermont cult
Member of the Frank Zappa Fan Club. PM deadhead313313 to join"

Quote by LightningRider
T Heff, No shit I'm a n00b

Quote by Will_Minus

EDIT: t heff wins the for the best response.

Quote by carousel182
i im gonna have to agree with t heff
YOU DON'T GROUND THE STRINGS WITH EMGS!!!!

That is all....

Oh but make sure you shield the thing properly and make sure that the pot grounds are soldered to the shield properly.

For sale: Early 1985 Ibanez AH10 (Allan Holdsworth signature model) PM for details