Hi all!

I'm getting a new guitar for my birthday, with a budget of around £300 (That's $600, or almost 500 euros.)

My current guitar is a Squier Affinity Strat (a gem of one too, It's the best Squier I've played) and I was looking for something a little more gainy that could still play Rock and Blues, and was looking for a few recommendations.

I was thinking Epi Les paul perhaps?

My current amp is a Frontman 15G, but that's gonna be replaced anyway so that doesn't matter.

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by MrCarrot at Aug 29, 2006,
everyones going to tell you not to get an epi, I own one tho and I think its good
Why would they tell me not to?

Extra info:

I like playing Rock, Blues, and Hard Rock occasionally. I was after a guitar with a nice clean tone that is versatile and can still give nice distortion.

I like playing Razorlight songs.

We tend to mix the lead/rhythm guitar roles in my band, so I play a bit of both.

Basically after a nice piece of kit that will last a long time and look nice as well as sound good.
I have a epi Les Paul and I love it. I thik it is a good cheep guitar.
COLOR=Black]Når du itte vart som du sku for du verra som du æ!

Det var en liten hilsen fra bestemor til meg
I have an Epiphone Black Beauty (Epi LP delux with 3 humbuckers) and I love it. I think that eventually I'll change the buckers out for classic Gibson burstbuckers eventually but thats $300 at most later on down the line and then I basically have 99% of the tone of a nice Gibson les paul. They're basicaly built the exact same now. Plus, I get really nice tone right now. I also have a nice Gilmour Mexican Strat (balck MIM strat with black pickguard, increased trenelo coils, and a shortened whammy)and between the two I'm in tone heaven.
how can you play in a band with a 15 watt ss amp?
Quote by Duff_McGee
Masturbate. A lot. Seriously.

<----This is a man
I don't use it for live play, it's my practice amp...

I use my friend's amps for live play. Dunno what models they are though.

Redvette, I've played the Black Beauty and I have to admit I don't really like it. I find it hard to play with the 3 pickups. Fretboard is lovely though.
Quote by MrCarrot
I don't use it for live play, it's my practice amp...

I use my friend's amps for live play. Dunno what models they are though.

Redvette, I've played the Black Beauty and I have to admit I don't really like it. I find it hard to play with the 3 pickups. Fretboard is lovely though.

Fretboard? It looks the same to me. As for the pickups I hear that a lot but don't understand how they get in the way. I have to admit that I pick shallower so that I can go faster and more accurate so I suppose that's why I never hit the pick-ups. Oh well, to each his own.
Yeah the fretboard probably is the same, still lovely though =)

The Black Beauty is a little above my price range too.

I was looking at the Epiphone Les Paul Standard, does anyone have this guitar, and if so could they comment on it? Thanks.

I'm just getting a general idea of a few guitars that suit my taste before I go out and try some..
Quote by MrCarrot
Yeah the fretboard probably is the same, still lovely though =)

The Black Beauty is a little above my price range too.

I was looking at the Epiphone Les Paul Standard, does anyone have this guitar, and if so could they comment on it? Thanks.

I'm just getting a general idea of a few guitars that suit my taste before I go out and try some..

My friend has it and he likes it a lot. I'd say try it out.

PS You're never gonna get the same tone and sustain from an Epi Les Paul as a Gibson Les Paul (excluding the junior and standard.). You'll get similalr, but not identical.
i love mine. But u definately need to try them--some are just not the same.
I've got a 2004, made at the new chinese factory and i have to say that it is as close to a gibson as you can get. Mine weighs 10lbs--i am assuming mine is all mahog (they use mahog and alder for the body, but they mean whatever is available/ not both), anyways im at the point where my ear is getting finer and im thinking about putting burstbuckers in, but the stocks are still just fine. The playablility is amazing...Mine came with superlow action, without fretbuzz and sh!t u can fly across the fretboard. I also have a 60th anniversary standard strat, and have to say the lessie kills it when it comes to rock. Blues is a different story mind u. Ive tried Gibson studios and like the Epi standard better...so if u wer thinking that just dont. Id suggest the plus tops, as the cherryburst is awsome. I think ive said enough...but remember try before u buy (they are made in asia and QC isnt their biggest worry over there)...
Good hunting!
Oh, definitely a plus top....Cherryburst and trans blue are gorgeous!
I was planning on upgrading my Squier's pickups to make it a bit more bluesy....Not sure how much that will set me back though, but what I mean is playing blues on the guitar is not all that important. (By the way, if anybody can tell me where I can find blues/rock single coils suitable for a strat for less than £100 for a set please do...)

Not expecting to get Gibson sound....Was hoping for decent quality though. What magnets can I expect in it?

Looks like a Epi LP Standard (Plus) should definitely go on my list of guitars to try then! The G-400 SG Deluxe Flametop looked alright too, I'm considering that one too.
Quote by MrCarrot
Hi all!

I'm getting a new guitar for my birthday, with a budget of around £300 (That's $600, or almost 500 euros.)

My current guitar is a Squier Affinity Strat (a gem of one too, It's the best Squier I've played) and I was looking for something a little more gainy that could still play Rock and Blues, and was looking for a few recommendations.

I was thinking Epi Les paul perhaps?

My current amp is a Frontman 15G, but that's gonna be replaced anyway so that doesn't matter.

Thanks in advance.

Can I ask if you bought a Fender Squier Fromtman starter pack? Because that is the guitar I have and the amp I have, and my Squier's a very nice guitar too.

But in accordance to your problem, I suggest an Epiphone, or if you don't mind going for a used guitar and ESP or Jackson.
R E G G A E
Yes, a Frontman starter pack, was wondering how long it would be before someone noticed =)

Do you recommend any particular type of Epiphone? LP, SG etc?