and strum for strum, or do u do ur own thing with the chords, specifically if it a struming based song, will you try and get each exact strum down or just make up a rhythm as long as ur following the right chord changes
I improvise all of it if i want, i never learn things strum for strum or note for note. For chords i jus do what i like sort of thing as long as it is similiar to the original and for solos i tend to learn like the really memorable bits and the ending to it. So yeah.
Ibanez S520
Yamaha Pacifica 112 with JB.Jr Neck pickup
Ibanez Custom Blazer
Peavey Bandit 112, Marshall Valvestate 20
Marshall Jackhammer, Zoom 505 effects, Boss ME-50
Boss Pw 10 V Wah
Dunlop 1.5mm Picks, D'addario standard Strings
I usually learn songs note for note and strum for strum first and then try to improvise a little when i'm playing live, if people wanted to hear a song played exactly the way it's played on the cd then they might aswell go listen to the cd!
MIA Fender Strat
Yamaha FG-450S
Crafter 12 string
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Vox AC30CC2
Epi Valve Junior
Fulltone Clyde
Danelectro Free Speech
T.C. Electronic Vintage Dual Distortion
Boss MIJ GE-7 (c1987)
Boss TU2
MXR Phase 90
Artec delay
It depends on the song. I make sure to have the memorable parts right, then improvise around that.
i try to play as close to the original
Quote by Aqua Dementia
I like to play this game where I'll see how many times I can look at a particular chicks ass or tits until I get caught.

Quote by WNxScythe
Fat chicks are different. They don't count, they aren't women.

Digitech Whammy Club!
Some songs I will start to play along with then go off onto my own thing to try and find something that goes well with it. Most of the time I play note for note, but for strumming songs I will make my own rhythm as long as the chord changes are right.
Quote by fukyu1980
LOL ! muther fuker i was gonna say that LOL!
i'll usually alter a chord to make it sound better in context or resolve more "gracefully" then most songs out there with the G, C, G, D progressions
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

Member #2 of the "Official UG Teabaggers' Cult". PM Slayer224 to join.
I learn riffs and melodies note for note. As for strumming, my job in the band isn't to handle acoustic strumming, so I don't have to worry about that. 90% of the time I'll improvise the solo, but I'll usually throw in some licks from the original.

That's in my band, but when I do acoustic songs on my own the strumming is probably almost never the same.
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
I improvise over the specified note im givin in the song. When I want to create my own chords over a song i'll create my own chord progression in the same note and change the rhythm a bit.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
I learn it generally, i never play a song twice the same way, at least the distortion stuff. i always improv.
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by snowbert
SMOKE UN-DER WATER!!!

Quote by Ascendancy5
I learn it the right way first, then when I know it by heart I just kinda improvise.

Exactly!

I think there's two different ways to learn a song, depending on your goal.

If your goal is to play the song in a gig or record it, I always like to hear people do something a little different with it. What's the point in hearing a carbon copy?

(except if you're in a bar band playing a gig out in the middle of nowhere, and you know those biker dudes sitting there at the bar are gonna get your ass if you try and do a samba version of Hiway to Hell....)

But the other much more important goal I think is to get your fingers to do something different. To break out of a rut by learning something new. And for that, I think learning the song or solo or lick exactly as possible, even down to the fingering and position, can be worthwhile.

You learn it, you get your fingers used to doing something new, then you forget it. Or try and do something different with it, work it into your own bag of tricks.
from a guitar magazine:

reader: "Most guitarists go through a phase in which they learn other people's material note for note. What did you master this way, and do you still do it now that your playing has reached such a high level?"

John Petrucci: "Of course I did it. I learned by figuring out stuff like Steve Morse's "Introduction", the Dixie Dregs' "The Bash", Randy Rhoads' solo on "Over the Mountain" and tons of stuff by Yngwie, Al Di Meola, Allan Holdsworth, Steve Vai and Joe Satriani. Working on other people's solos always gives you fresh perspectives and develops your ear, which is why I still do it. It's always good to challenge yourself. That way you don't get to a point where you've learned enough and say 'That's it.' "

"Dear Guitar Hero"
Guitar World
2/04
I try and play note for note, strum for strum exactly as the original and then eventually it evolves slightly and becomes slightly different as I play it. Over time, it will have the unique twist of me while I play it.

Some songs, however, I maintain the upkeep of being able to play note for note.
Rhythmically (sp?) I do whatever I want, jsut so long as I play the right chords. Until like 2 months ago I was obsessed with playing solos note for note but then I discovered the beauty of soloing with the pentatonics and never looked back.
Quote by Douche ©
I may not be cool off the internet, but on the internet I am pretty cool.

Aww

The Pit Cliff Notes:
Quote by SOADfreak6
myabe we all suck thats why were sitting at a computer desk talking **** thro the enternet lol

If not all of us, at least him.

<//////>~
it's considered bad form to play Primus note for note
Quote by steven seagull
good, however give yourself a pat on the back for starting a thread that contains a picture of Optimus Prime!

Quote by Schneiderman
This thread sucks and is now about slot cars.
Absolutely not!
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
I don't have the patience to learn songs.

But the bits that I know, I usually play around with them. Rarely note for note.
No fucking images.

Ghey.
i love to improvise and also write music so thats why i never play note for note.
Quote by BigFatSandwich

Quote by snowbert
SMOKE UN-DER WATER!!!

I usually end up improvising some part of a solo, when I was 11 I wrote my own solo for Goldfinger's cover of "99 red Baloons". LOL. But I try to play songs note-for-note.
Originally Posted by Lemoninfluence
he shoved a pole up the lads arse.

he didn't bumshag him.
The songs written in my band are usually done a little differently each time. It's usually just a thing that the drummer and I do, because him and I are so used to playing together that we know where the other one is going. In a few of my solos, I have solidified melody lines, but usually I'll just work those into an improved solo.