Hey guys i was wondering if u were to jam in a song do u normaly switch keys to suit the chords or can u just stay in the one key
you have to work out what the 'main' chord is, then u play in that key. The 'main' chord is usually the one that sounds best at the end of a song.
PPPPPPPOSTFINDER
and how do i go out of the key so it sounds good because sometimes i go into the wrong key and sounds really bad
Word of the day: Modulation.

Complex pieces may modulate, however in clasical music it is pretty common.
For changing key think: Dream Theater, and time signatures too. But for a jam, you don't really want to change key. If you start with an 'e' major, or any kind of e, bascially a chord with e as its root, you play in e, or D dorian but that's just pedantic
Why did Pat Metheney cross the road? He didn't, his hair got in the way
--
Member #1 of Ibanez > You club. PM me to join
ok thanx. wat scales are mainly use for solos i already know pentatonic and a few blues scales
well that's about it unless you go into theory such as modes like: Dorian, Phrygian, Lydian, Aolian (major), Ionian etc etc.....oh and Mixolydian. But then you would be trying to learn to play like Joe Satriani, which is what I'm doing, but it's a little more complicated than a jam session. Also if you see jams with satch, like the G3 jam, he mainly uses pentatonic and mixolydian anyway,
Why did Pat Metheney cross the road? He didn't, his hair got in the way
--
Member #1 of Ibanez > You club. PM me to join
Really, if you modulate, even if you keep the same tune, it gives it a whole new flavor, don't over do it though.

Atonality owns too,
okay thanx for your help guys one more thing though, can someone tell me the scales in order
aparently it starts off with C Major D ....... E....... F etc.....