No you can run them clean and they sound good.
There main strengths is for playing rock/metal though.
Hamer USA Chapparal Custom, scalloped fretboard & Sustainiac
Hamer USA Chapparal Elite, Dragon Snakeskin finish
BC Rich USA Gunslinger
BC Rich USA Warlock
Boss GX700
3TM ADA MP1
Rocktron XPression
Mesa 50/50 Stereo Power Amp
Laney 4x12 Cab
Well wich marshall amp under 400 pounds or under 750 US dollars would be the best. I've foudn the DSL401 COMBO but are there any other amp preferably marshal that i coudl afford?????
Why do you want a Marshall? The DSL401 is probably the only good Marshall in that price range. Look at some other brands.
Member #10 Of The Black Tooth Grin: Dimebag Memorial Club. PM Narmi To Join
Lots of jcm 900 combos go for under £400 on ebay. That would definetely give you the Maiden tone you've been after, and more. They have to be cranked to sound their best though, as with most marshall amps.
These go to eleven...
I used to be in a band that played mostly Maiden covers. I used a Laney AOR100 Half Stack then and it did a good job. A head just went for £150.00 on ebay

Thats my experience though, the valve Marshall combo's listed will be great as well.
BC Rich USA Gunslinger
BC Rich USA Warlock
Boss GX700
3TM ADA MP1
Rocktron XPression
Laney 4x12 Cab
I don't trust online shopping either...... You should look for a used Marshall around, or a Laney VC30 ??
Tone is all ...... well probably 75%, in your fingers.
The rest depends on your wallet's thickness !!

Keep the faith, baby!!
Quote by Krieg Commando
But when u buy on ebay hwo do u know the guy sint sellign u ribbish?

Look for sellers with high positive feedback ratings, a lot of amps I see are from business's and offer return gaurentee's..
ok i have 2 fianl questions and then ill leave u guys alone for a while.
1. Is buying second hand gear recommended
2. Which out of all of the amps that will costs me below 400 pounds ( preferably 300 but ill push it) is the best out of all the marshalls then ( or any other quality amp).
thank you
In the early days I think they used JMP's, which is basically an older 800. Then they went to 900's. I think a 900 is your best bet for playing both newer and older Maiden.
These go to eleven...
thank you and is buyign 2nd hand reccomended? I guess it is cos i dotn hav a job so i struggle to earn money
is this any good for a jcm 900

This JCM 900 is really what the modern DSL and TSL Marshall ranges should be - a great hi-gain amplifier that's still got the old Marshall balls. 2 channels of all-valve Marshall tone with onboard spring reverb, all footswitchable (footswitch included!). This is the the more heavy rock version of the classic JCM 800 range, and were massively popular when they came out in the late 80's. This one is in fantastic condition, with only a few very slight marks on the vinyl. It has been serviced by us here at the shop, and sounds fantastic - a big, smooth, warm drive sound that's perfect for both classic and modern rock sounds.

I just dont know if they're only selling the head or if they're selling the whole thing.
You will get more for your money second hand. Just choose carefully.
Half of my current rig was second hand and I've had no problems.
BC Rich USA Gunslinger
BC Rich USA Warlock
Boss GX700
3TM ADA MP1
Rocktron XPression
Laney 4x12 Cab
On ebay, you gotta look for the possitive feedback. If that's good, then the description of the product is usually correct. Look for people who sell a lot of guitar stuff, and describe the thing going into tubes and what not, who know what they're talking about. The people who just sell random stuff and describe it like "**MARSHALL** JCM 900 **TEh R0xOrZZ*** SOUNDS GREAT...and so on.." be aware of, the item could be good, you won't know, short of emailing him and asking if he actually knows anything.
These go to eleven...
I'd email and ask when it was last serviced/had it's tubes replaced, has it to the owners knowledge been used in a smokey atmosphere etc.

Don't be put off if it looks a bit tatty, it's easy enough to recover.
I've just bought a real cheap 7 string to try it out.
Haven't received it yet though.
BC Rich USA Gunslinger
BC Rich USA Warlock
Boss GX700
3TM ADA MP1
Rocktron XPression
Laney 4x12 Cab
Quote by Krieg Commando
So do u guys buy guitars off there. Is it a good idea cos they go for real cheap

I have bought my last two guitars off Ebay. They were an online shop rather than an individual though.
cool so my next guitar could be pretty dam good and i could get it for liek 250 . Has anything bad ever happened to u guys on ebay?
Not to me.

Yeah, the 800 has one channel, it's hard to get cleans out of it, especially during a song. The 900 dual reverbs have more gain, have two channels so they can do cleans, and 800 tones(to an extent), and more, especially with an OD pedal handy.
These go to eleven...
I'll be looking at a JCM 900 in the near future when I come to upgrade from the Laney. My band mate used to have one before he converted to playing drums, had a lovely sound to it.
Quote by Krieg Commando
so the 900 has clean and overdrive? I didnt understand that too well

It has two channels, with a footswitch to change. One will be clean ie just the sound of the guitar and the other is the distortion.
If you are looking at a JCM, make sure you're sure what you are getting.

If you are just getting the head, then you will need a speaker cabinet to go with it, where as a combo will have a speaker or two in as part of it's design