Poll: Best metal guitar w/ trem around $1000?
Poll Options
View poll results: Best metal guitar w/ trem around $1000?
Schecter hellraiser FR
6 29%
Ibanez RG 1570
10 48%
Ibanez S470
3 14%
ESP LTD M-1000
1 5%
ESP LTD KH-602
1 5%
ESP LTD JH-600
0 0%
Voters: 21.
In search of a 2nd guitar with a trem. I'm into metal, black label society, slayer, metallica, etc. It's going to be paired up with some sort of Marshall JCM or a Mesa. Which one of these (or any other suggestions), would be best? Please post your reasoning for you choice, thanks.
Last edited by pierce34celtic at Aug 29, 2006,
Either the KH or the Ibanez RG. They both sound great and stay in tune. The schecter seems alright, but I'm not sure about it's tuning stability...and besides, you've got a schecter already.
the Schecter is good for its price but not comparable to the Ibanez. IBZ ALL THE WAY!
Why did Pat Metheney cross the road? He didn't, his hair got in the way
--
Member #1 of Ibanez > You club. PM me to join
How's the basswood sound? That's the only thing I'm not sure about, I wanted to put some EMGs in there, that's why I liked the Schecter- EMGs in mahogany. So I just wanted to know if there was a big difference between the basswood and mahogany and whether EMG's would sound good in the Ibanez RG?
AAAAhhh, problem. DO NOT, whatever you do for god's sake DO NOT put EMGs in a basswood guitar. No they would not, mahogany is far more deep and resonant which counters the EMGs fizzy top end, whereas basswood is already warm and brightish, which would make it sound approximately like this:
pzzzzzzeeeeechththth
pzzzzzzzdundundundundudn
pzeeeeeeethththththththth
DUN....
--
Seymour duncan's [grrrr], or DiMarzio X2N, or other hot output DiM or SDs. They'd all work....Metal isn't just about EMGs yknow...

[EDIT: and the edge pro is good, anything else (apart from LO PRO EDGE, FTW!!!) is crap Ibanez wise, as in floyd liscensed]
--
I vote for the Schecter or the Jeff Hanneman.

While the 1570 is great, i's much more "shred" than "metal".
NEVER defy the might of IBANEZ!!
--
I think it's pifty that has EMGs in a 1570 and he says they sound great.

The RG has the best trem, so unless you really despise basswood's tone I'd get that.

EDIT: Danno's got a point. I was gonna recommend the M1000, but I wasn't sure about the LFR. What's the Jeff guitar got?
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Last edited by timi_hendrix at Aug 29, 2006,
WE (royal we) loves you....
--
Hey pierce, like your C-1? Then you're in line for the Hellraiser, unless you want something very different.

Quote by J.MitMetallica
AAAAhhh, problem. DO NOT, whatever you do for god's sake DO NOT put EMGs in a basswood guitar. No they would not, mahogany is far more deep and resonant which counters the EMGs fizzy top end, whereas basswood is already warm and brightish, which would make it sound approximately like this:
pzzzzzzeeeeechththth
pzzzzzzzdundundundundudn
pzeeeeeeethththththththth
DUN....

Mmm, there's warm and bright, and they're on the opposite sides of the tone spectrum. So it's kinda like my knife, which is sharp and dullish.

Basswood is warmer than alder/maple of KH and JH, and EMGs do sound fine in basswood. I used to have a set in a 570 - the tone was pleasing. With a JCM or a Mesa, it would sound exactly like you expect EMGs to sound.
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!
no, what i meant was, it is a warm sound, leaning towards brightness-ishy sounding...see?
--
ibanez s470 *love*

it looks 100 time sbetter then the rg.. and its made of Mahogany not basswood
Last edited by Craigscool at Aug 29, 2006,
Yeah if you like all ofthose features, which it sounds like you do, then I might go for it, because you wouldn't really have to change anything, except perhaps (85/81 set instead)...
--
not with that crate. I played a traynor custom 40 with g400 w/ 81,85 combo.. it sounds awesome on clean.
Quote by pierce34celtic
I like my C-1 a lot although there's no trem, that's why i liked the Hellraiser FR since it has stock EMG's and an OFR in a mahogany body.

Then the Hellraiser's just asking you to take it home. It's a C-1, so you'll know how it feels before you even touch it.

1570 is a great pick, but it will run a coin to make it metal, and if you're a fan of the C-1 neck, the Wizard might not be your thing. S470 - same thing. Thin neck, thin body. Very different from the C-1.

KH and JH I wouldn't touch because they're a pair of EMGs sitting in a block of maple with alder wings. We can't stop here... this is treble country!
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!
go for mesa if you can, and yes, thats what the neck is recommended for with that EMG
--
well if they are like the traynor custom 40 it will be fine... it beats THE HELL out of anything i ever herd.