hey i noticed that thread where people post chords and other people try to name them. i was just wondering how they do that? i dont really understand what a root note is or what the "add" means (example "Em7add9") how do you figure out how to name a chord? im kind of a noob at this so any help would be greatly apreciated!
Quote by psycadelicart
hey i noticed that thread where people post chords and other people try to name them. i was just wondering how they do that? i dont really understand what a root note is or what the "add" means (example "Em7add9") how do you figure out how to name a chord? im kind of a noob at this so any help would be greatly apreciated!

Just a heads up... you won't see Em7add9 - it'll simply be called Em9. If there's a 7th in the chord, don't use 'add' - once you've read Logz link and understand what it is, of course.
ok but what do all those mean, like "add" and "sus" and stuff like that? that article helps by the way, thanks!
Add means you add an interval.

IE, Gadd10 would mean you take your normal G major chord: G B D (intervals: 1 3 5) and ADD a 10th interval to it. the 10th interval is B, so you'd add another B note, an octave higher than the 3rd.

sus, means suspended. There are 2 main types of sus, sus2 and sus4.
Sus means you change the 3rd interval for either a 2nd interval or 4th interval.
Been away, am back
^Doesn't give all the names, which sometimes you need...
Looking for my India/Django.
Guitar Pro has everything you need in the chord thingy, it even plays it for you
Quote by Robbie n strat
In the changing rooms we'd all jump around so our dicks and balls bounced all over the place, which we found hilarious.

Little children should be felt, not heard.
Quote by Logz
Add means you add an interval.

IE, Gadd10 would mean you take your normal G major chord: G B D (intervals: 1 3 5) and ADD a 10th interval to it. the 10th interval is B, so you'd add another B note, an octave higher than the 3rd.

sus, means suspended. There are 2 main types of sus, sus2 and sus4.
Sus means you change the 3rd interval for either a 2nd interval or 4th interval.

you will never see a Gadd10 chord. that would merely describe which note of the triad goes on top, and chord spellings are not meant to specify the exact chord voicings to use. for the record.
Quote by Dan Steinman
you will never see a Gadd10 chord. that would merely describe which note of the triad goes on top, and chord spellings are not meant to specify the exact chord voicings to use. for the record.

Im just using it as an example. Of what "add" means
Been away, am back