I'm just wondering can I remove the trem from my Fat Strat? Would it help me get a bit more tone and sustain from it?

If so, what would be involved in changing it? Hopefully no wood work, just buying a fixed Fender bridge?
There's a lot of woodwork involved in converting a trem to a fixed bridge. If you just remove the trem, you'll have a big hole where the bridge is meant to go, which you have to cover with a block of wood and so on.

I recommend just blocking the trem. Take the bar out, and put some pieces of wood in the back cavity to prevent the block from moving.

Clapton did it.
Thanks, I did this a while back but removed it. I'll try it again, does it matter what kind of wood?
There's some cool looking bridges on ebay, are those any good? It would be neat to throw those in for cheap. My bridge has a bit of corrosion on the saddles, a bit on the bridge itself too.

Is it possible to replace the top plate as well but keep the guts of the trem?

Something like this :
http://cgi.ebay.com/CHROME-Hardtail-Electric-Guitar-Fixed-BRIDGE-BS3_W0QQitemZ130021760804QQihZ003QQcategoryZ41407QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

It's a "fixed" bridge though, so assuming it bolted to the trem unit (or is it one piece), there might be a hole where the whammy bar goes in usually.
one piece, and its supposed to just go ontop of the body, not into it.
Why did Pat Metheney cross the road? He didn't, his hair got in the way
--
Member #1 of Ibanez > You club. PM me to join
I don't use the trem much at all, but it's nice to have it sometimes, so I just put 5 springs in.
^^ true you can do that as well...
--
Quote by replacement
I don't use the trem much at all, but it's nice to have it sometimes, so I just put 5 springs in.

4 should do it.
Yeah but to stop it from moving, 5 would be cool...
--
Without physically filling the entire trem cavity - preferably with the same wood species as the rest of the guitar - and making it a hardtail, nothing that can be done (with any practicality) will have a significant impact on your tone and sustain.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
Musician's Friend is selling a bridge that converts strats to hardtails.

or you could just save money and block the trem.
Quote by Hate Me
Musician's Friend is selling a bridge that converts strats to hardtails.

or you could just save money and block the trem.

and with the money saved, get a new guitar. no brainer to me.