Ok, so I am looking for a guitar that has a good Led Zeppelin sound. The price range is 400$. I know it isn't a lot, but there must be a decent one out there. Anyone got a suggestion?
Quote by yawn
My work here is done.

Destroying the lives of innocent people, one post at a time.

Member of the 'Muse > any other band' club
I'd say a Les Paul, since that's what Jimmy Page used. You could get a cheap Epiphone for $400 or an Agile copy.
*Taylor 214ce Acoustic
*Fender Highway One Honey Blonde Strat (Fralin Pickups)
*Epiphone Zephyr Regent (Gibson '57 Humbucker)
*Vox 847 Wah
*Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
*Fender Blues Deluxe Amp
In the studio Page generally used Teles, live he used Les Pauls almost exclusively. Have you checked out Epiphone Les Pauls? They should do you alright, althouh I'm not 100% on the price.
Feel free to ignore my ranting.

Member of the Self-Taught Club.

A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a close-minded moron.
save about 150 dollars more and get an epi LP standard
nothing compares to these guitars! (except for a gibson)
Quote by ImSheddingSkin
your avatar rules
Well an epiphone les paul standard plain top is $400.00. Or you could buy the standard for $500.00. I own the standard and it's a great guitar especially for Zeppelin which I play.

Jimmy Page also played a telecaster so a Fender tele is sold at $400.00 around that price.

I would recomend spending more on an amp which will really difine your tone.

Here's the Les Paul Standard
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Les-Paul-Standard-Electric-Guitar?sku=518341&CJAID=10385318&CJPID=1065015&c_tid=topseller

The Les Paul Plain Top
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Les-Paul-Standard-Plain-Top?sku=517413

And the telecaster
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Standard-Telecaster-Electric-Guitar?sku=516035

Try them out if you can all of these guitars should give you a Page like tone.
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
Last edited by zeppelinpage4 at Aug 29, 2006,
either get a used epiphone les paul, you could probably get one for 400, or the fender tele
are the plain tops arch tops like the standard? from those pics i cant tell, but its probably just the flat paint
Quote by ImSheddingSkin
your avatar rules
Actually a brand new plain top might be better since their $400.00 new and their made of all mahogany unlike the alder/mahogany mix body that the standard is made of. So it would sound more like a Gibson. Be carefull though plain tops can be sketchy but if you find a good one take it.
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
Alright, I'll go to my guitar store today and try these out. I should be able to go to 450$ or so.
Quote by yawn
My work here is done.

A bad, Behringer beginner amp. 15 Watts. I got it just to start out, but never upgraded.

Laugh at me
Quote by yawn
My work here is done.

oh god man get a new amp
i have that amp, and its sitting in my basement cuz i replaced it with a better amp, and yesterday i played my LP thorugh it and it sounded horrible.
EVERYthing played on that amp sounds all tinny as if it was playing through a telephone
Quote by ImSheddingSkin
your avatar rules
Well, no I'm not gonna laugh. I'm going to save you the trouble of finding out that your guitar makes a pretty small difference to your tone

If I were you, I'd definitely buy a new amp. Those behringers are rubbish, and even if you have a great guitar it'll still sound like ass.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Ehh, I'm hoping there is a cheap $50 used amp there then, because I am definitely getting a new guitar over an amp.
Quote by yawn
My work here is done.

i tried an orange crush 15R in the guitar store one day fout of curiosity and it is actually rather nice if set it up nicely that would be in your price range. I got a great tone for "Since I've been loving you" by Led Zepplin. I just can't remember how it was set up though... but if my amp broke down tomorrow i would buy that.
Quote by Shifty155
Ehh, I'm hoping there is a cheap $50 used amp there then, because I am definitely getting a new guitar over an amp.

Now I'm going to laugh at you

My Music
um i worked with les pauls at long and mcquade and have become quite familiar with thier use, first off jimmy only used the tele on zep one, and stairway to heaven, everything else was his 58 gibson les paul w. arched neck, and if u get a used epiphone les paul standard, they run abotu 350, and the crunch sound you get is fantastic, i use mine through a marshall 100 watt, and when me and my band do zep covers, beleive me the guitar can sing, i feel like im jimmy, the sound is amazing for a knock off, i do have real gibsons and even though there is a noticable difference, the main guitar i use on stage is my epiphone, so buy the guitar and save for the amp later, adjust to playing the guitar first
Gear:
since everyone was bitching, heres my favorites...
-1995 Jimmy Page Les paul (16th bday)
-1960 Gibson Les Paul reissue
-2003 Epiphone Les Paul Classic
-Hot Rodded 100 watt marshal (200 watts)
Communication Breakdown by Led Zep was actually recorded with a Fender Telecaster, not a Les Paul. Maybe a telecaster would be the way to go.
I know Comunication breakdown was also track 7 off of Zep 1, which i said was recorded with the tele
Gear:
Quote by timi_hendrix
Now I'm going to laugh at you

Agreed. Definitely get a new amp.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
hmmm, i see your content on a new guitar and a plain top is the way to go much better than the standard, also when you get some money the smallest Orange Crush amp is $75 and its actually a great amp and definetly has the tones you want, more of a classic pushed sound, but it can also do some heavier things if you get into it, otherwise id look into some vox valvetronix
my gear//
GUITARS
ESP Horizon Custom
ESP M202BB
ESP HB300
Gibson LP Custom
Gibson V
AMPS
Orange Rockverb 50
Mesa Triple Recti
Marshall JCM800 2210
The orange is awsome, but the standard even though more expensive would be a guitar that you will never run out of ideas on i fyou know what i mean, its more of a pro guitar the the flat top... meh just an opinion
Gear:
Quote by Z-oSo
The orange is awsome, but the standard even though more expensive would be a guitar that you will never run out of ideas on i fyou know what i mean, its more of a pro guitar the the flat top... meh just an opinion

well what ive noticed tho is the plain top is made of straight mahogany and gives more of a sound like pages especially if you put some Ducan 59s or Dizmario PAFs, not that the stock PUs cant either the standard has an awesome flametop but has an alder mahog mix which produces a good tone but not quite like a gibson
my gear//
GUITARS
ESP Horizon Custom
ESP M202BB
ESP HB300
Gibson LP Custom
Gibson V
AMPS
Orange Rockverb 50
Mesa Triple Recti
Marshall JCM800 2210
Alright then, I'll get a $75 Orange Crush amp, and a Standard Gibson Les Paul. Thanks.
Quote by yawn
My work here is done.

Quote by Shifty155
Alright then, I'll get a $75 Orange Crush amp, and a Standard Gibson Les Paul. Thanks.

Dude, the Orange Crush 30R at my local store, used, is $270! I don't know about the lower wattages, but you're never going to get a decent amp for $75.
^Umm no. You can't get a standard Gibson Les Paul for $325. I'm not sure what guitar store you are going to, but if it is Guitar Center there is a pretty good chance they will not have any Orange amiplifiers. Though, occasionaly they have some because somebody orderd one and then did not buy it. It hurts to say this, but I suggest you look into a Vox Valvetronix. It would not be half bad for you.
Quote by RHCP94
It's an option for the "Which one of E Daws parents are uglier?" thread.
Quote by Shifty155

Good choice.

My Music
I bought an Agile AL-2000 Black Beauty from Rondo Music

http://www.rondomusic.net/al2000blkgd.html

I love it - stock - never changed anything but strings and I get a great Page sound. You cannot beat an Agile - I went to the local GC to play the EPI's but this baby sounds just as sweet and a heck of a lot less - try one you'll be amazed. Also it stays in tune longer than any other copy I ever owned - seems to hold tuning longer than the real Gibson Black Beauty I use to own back "in the day"... The Agile is a great inexpensive copy that looks and feels like a much more expensive guitar. Check out the others too - the higher the model numbers the more they cost but this 2000 is a sweet Ax. I can only imagine how much better the more expensive Agile's are. My next guitar will also be an Agile. Check out the Agile Forums too

http://www.agileguitarforum.com/

Lots of satisfied customers and a great GALLERY of Pix too
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
Last edited by strangedogs at Aug 31, 2006,
Ok, new plan. Fender Startocaster (I like the sound more and it's cheaper) and a 30 Watt $125 Orange Crush Amp.

It sounds sooooo much better than what I currently have. I tried it out at my guitar store today and I didn't want to leave
Quote by yawn
My work here is done.