hey i jsut picked up a 1967 gibson sg special, and the preveous guy gave it a little beating. first there are alot of dings and crap and also the overall finish is wearing off. i took the pickguard off so i can tell the finish.

this is kinda a long story but here it is anyways,so my dads freind bought this from a guy and my dads freind gave it to us for almost free. but when we took the pickguard off the previous owner, well it looks like he drilled out the wood between the two p90's to put in a 3rd pickup. we looked at the wiring on the back and it does look like its been redone. and also next to the volume and tone knobs there are two holes that have been puttied in and i think they are the custom volume knobs for the 3rd pup he put in. also he have us the old pickguard he had and it had a custome holw drilled in it. also the guy who sold it to my dads friend was very smart because he took out the original (so we think) p90's and sold them and put in crappy cheap ones in replace. origninal p90 sell for 300 bucks each. also he took out the bridge and tremelo system and put in a crappy aftermarket one. so my big questinos are, has anyone ever heard of someone custom putting in a 3rd pup in a SG. also do you think this gutar will still be nice to play, i know it wont be able to resell for alot, but im prety sure it will be good for playing it?

questions, comments, and whatever welcome!!

oh ya lol this was my main question and i forgot to put it in here, how could i go about to refinish the wood of this guitar, its cherry red, but now its kinda brown from it fading. i know gibson used some thing like a nitrocellular or something that sounds like that, so questions, comments, and whatever welcome!!
got any pictures?

3 pickup sgs do exist, but the middle pickup is superflous. I'd say keep it. replace the pickguard, perhaps fill the holes, and see about getting a new bridge/tailpiece for it.
Quote by Dave_Mc
how do those marshall handles compare tonewise to, say, mesa handles?

Owns a Blackheart Little Giant...
Erm u do realise that gibson actually make faded brown sgs new becuse people like them? I wouldn't mess with the finish.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Superfluous = useless/just for looks
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
dang i just checked allparts.com and they vibrato thingy is 110$ and the tunomatic bridge is 75$, dang this is doing to be alot
Quote by the_random_hero
Superfluous = useless/just for looks

Aye, and you spelt it correct, I didn't!

And eyeownyu, Use the edit button, don't double/triple post!
Quote by Dave_Mc
how do those marshall handles compare tonewise to, say, mesa handles?

Owns a Blackheart Little Giant...
Yeah, I learnt by my Mum calling my existence superfluous. When I asked her what it meant, she told me to go look it up.....
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
i saw leave the finish. Unless youre gonan do an amazing job with a new finihs, then dont.

Resale value will be pretty low cuase none of hte parts are the original parts.

Im pretty sure itll be a fun guitar to play. DOn ttry to make it look brand new, slap in some new pickups if you dont prefer teh one that is on, trade out the hardware if they feel ****ty. and play teh hell of that thing. Id love to have a beat up SG to play live with.
http://www.theweekendkids.com

Gibson Les Paul Studio w/dirtyfingers pickups
Gibson Joan Jett Melody Maker
VOX ac30 head
Marshall 1960 4x12 cab
Fender Hot Rod Deville