hey guys dunno if this is the right forum or not but hey. i recently decided to take the strings off my ibanez rg350ex and give it a good old clean, after i cleaned it the i noticed the tremelo system (on the body)looked like it had been pushed in. i tried pushing it back up to where it should normally be but it just wont budge and its really got me confused! any ideas on how to put it back in its proper place? thanks.
Quote by DaddyTwoFoot
If your vegetarian girl harasses you about eating meat, snap back with, "Eating more entirely defenseless plants that provide us with oxygen?"

That'll shut that bitch up faster than two black eyes.

strings are still off now the trem bit is sat in the body at a funny angle.
Quote by DaddyTwoFoot
If your vegetarian girl harasses you about eating meat, snap back with, "Eating more entirely defenseless plants that provide us with oxygen?"

once the strings go back on it will self right, dont worry
Quote by ImSheddingSkin
your avatar rules
LOL. There's this thing we call gravity...

With no strings on it, or anything behind it - your trem has no choice but to sit back into the cavity.

Stick your strings back on and it'll raise as you tune up - you'll probably find when you get back to pitch, the trem will be slightly off in one direction or the other, but that's a quick fix.
its like stuck tho strings wont make a difference i dont think its really stiff i cant move it so i dont think the strings will!
Quote by DaddyTwoFoot

it will, it's spring tension, the strings even it out, trust me
Quote by steven seagull
good, however give yourself a pat on the back for starting a thread that contains a picture of Optimus Prime!

Quote by Schneiderman
This thread sucks and is now about slot cars.
ok cheers guys il have a go at that.
Quote by DaddyTwoFoot

Quote by Johnljones7443

With no strings on it, or anything behind it - your trem has no choice but to sit back into the cavity.

Stick your strings back on and it'll raise as you tune up - you'll probably find when you get back to pitch, the trem will be slightly off in one direction or the other, but that's a quick fix.

LOL. There's this thing we call spring tension...

With no strings on it, and springs behind it - your trem has no choice but to be puled back into the cavity.

-----------------------------------

Ya so just put on new strings and it should be fine. Also, in the future replace one string at a time, leaving the other ones on as you replace them...
One tip, when you change strings next time - fold some cardboard and jam it under the back of the trem to stop it moving down ( you might have to "dive" the trem to do this). Then you can take all the old strings off and put new ones on without the trem moving.
You should never remove all your strings without shimming the trem to keep it level.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
Quote by Johnljones7443

That was literally the stupidest thing I've ever seen.
Ibanez RG3270M Prestige
Gibson SG Standard
Fender Mexican Strat w/ Kinman Woodstock Pickups

Vox Valvetronix AD120VTX (soon to be a Peavey 6505)

Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer
Dime Cry Baby From Hell
It never quite feels that the strings have a hundred eighty pounds of tension on them until you try to move an unstrung Floyd. Yeah, it'll level out.
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!
Last edited by pifty at Aug 29, 2006,
Quote by Bloodening
That was literally the stupidest thing I've ever seen.

Why?

With no strings on it, the springs have no tension and fall back into the cavity because gravity is making them do so.

Guess I thought wrong though, sorry.
When there's no string tention the springs can pull the trem into the cavity... The same would happen in space
Ibanez RG3270M Prestige
Gibson SG Standard
Fender Mexican Strat w/ Kinman Woodstock Pickups

Vox Valvetronix AD120VTX (soon to be a Peavey 6505)

Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer
Dime Cry Baby From Hell
Quote by Johnljones7443
Why?

With no strings on it, the springs have no tension and fall back into the cavity because gravity is making them do so.

Guess I thought wrong though, sorry.

Without the strings on, the tension of the springs isn't being counterbalanced and thus the springs will pull the trem back into the cavity. No gravity involved.
I will show you something different from either
Your shadow in the morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you
I will show you fear in a handful of dust
When you're removing all the strings, its always good to block the trem 1st. If not you'll risk eating up the knife edges and you definetely need to be careful with the Edge III. Stuff something here that'll block the spring tension, i personally use plastic pen caps.

Now that you have removed the strings without blocking the trem, you need to loosen the spring tension AND dive down your tremolo to parallel position when you're tuning it. Reason is, mostly the Floyd Rose system wont come back up coz its stuck on the trem posts and sunk inside the cavity.
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic