Okay so I've been practicing playing and singing, the thing is some songs I can sing very easily well... but others I have a very hard time doing. Can you explain this to me, does this have something to do with what key it is in or something else.
For instance I can easily sing Slow Cheetah, Under the bridge, Snow Hey oh (RHCP) but have an incredibly hard time singing otherside or Californication

Slow Cheetah is Em, Snow hey oh i think is in G# (but I move it down to F#) , and under the bridge is in (?) E
Meanwhile Californication and Otherside are in Am.
So what should I do adjust the key or learn to sing better or what??? because obviously ANthony Kiedis can sing all those so why can't I lol.
your range is limited, i capo 6 for californication and otherside becuase i also have a terribly limeted range
Quote by GuitarHobbiest
What exactly is a powerchord?

Quote by laid_to_waste
My trouser snake is friendly. If you pet him, he might even do a trick! think I'm going to hell for that one.
just learn to adjust your voice for the songs...it shouldnt be that much of a problem, especially considering most bands songs change keys...
Or play the song in a different key....

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Couldn't he possibly sing in an octave higher or lower? Or is he limited to doing that because of it being in Am?
When you move the melody down (or up) an octave, it can sometimes sound funny, as an octave is quite far. The advantage, though, is that it allows you to keep the chords in the same key.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
yeah mabye its just the song
so thanks but no thanks. . .
also "my sugar" your rock!1!!!1
I have a similar problem and to be honest practice is the only thing that works. Just persevere. Good luck!
So lets put on our classics and we'll have a little dance, shall we?
Quote by axemanchris
Or play the song in a different key....

CT

Learning how play songs higher/lower is great practice. Forces you to understand the scales better.

And UTB is in E...well the intro is a D-major riff, but, yes you were right.

good luck !
-Acoustic wars-
Quote by gtr-boy
practise singing more and make ur singing go up octaves

Haha, making your singing go up OCTAVES takes years... And most won't do it.

HOWEVER, you can expand your range by a 1/2 step in 3 - 6 months(I think that's about right, correct me if I'm wrong.) Which means in a year of really working at singing you can sing a note, maybe a note and a half higher than you could before. (Again, maybe this is bad practice on my brothers part, but that's what he's been doing.) And, of course, I'm not talking about just hitting the note, I mean hitting it well, in your full voice.
I find that I can't sing some songs really well.

Take um for instance a Opeth..some songs of them I can sing. And then say someone with a really different voice like say Gerade Way from MCR. I can't sing his songs very well I find it hard to sing the way he does.

So I figure its all in the song.And how the singer sings it.