I'm a complete newbie when it comes to circuits, as have just started learning about electronics today.

Basically, I'm trying to copy a diagram for a Tube Screamer into a program called Mutisim, but I've got stuck on a few parts of it.

Could someone tell me what is going on in the bits I've circled in red in the picture? I don't know what they are, or how to put them onto my diagram.

Any help appreciated, thanks

Quote by Liberation
Every time I see your avatar I want to slit your neck with a butterknife. Goddamn Pingu.
the 500K and 10K things are Potentiometers (sp?), and i think the black dots are ground connections, but i'm not sure. the +9V should be connected to the +ve battery connection
Quote by Dave_Mc
how do those marshall handles compare tonewise to, say, mesa handles?

Owns a Blackheart Little Giant...
Thanks, potentiometers is correct

Where would the -ve battery connection go then?

I don't see why the black dots would be grounds, 'cause they have ground connections there already.
Quote by Liberation
Every time I see your avatar I want to slit your neck with a butterknife. Goddamn Pingu.
The +9v is the battery positive connection
The 500 Log drive, 10k tone, and 100k level are all off board pots (potentiometers)
IC=4558 refers to the dual op-amp which is represented as the two triangles in your diagram.
The 4.5v bias connections refer to a part of the circuit (not shown) which derives a 4.5v voltage from the 9v supply. See here for an explanation - http://www.geofex.com/Article_Folders/TStech/tsxtech.htm
Cheers

I'll give that site a look. Hopefully I'll understand some of it...
Quote by Liberation
i think the black dots things with the swigglies are resistors but i could be wrong, and probably am hopefully this helps.
The Set-Up

Gibson Les Paul/Fender MIA Deluxe Strat --> MXR Super comp --> Boss DD-3 --> Dunlop Crybaby --> Need an amp, wanna sell me one?
The 4.5v bias connections refer to a part of the circuit (not shown) which derives a 4.5v voltage from the 9v supply.

I still don't get whats going on here. Why isn't it shown? And where does the -ve end of the battery connect to?

And that site was a little too in depth for me, I only started this sort of thing yesterday
Quote by Liberation
Quote by loonyguitarist
I'm a complete newbie when it comes to circuits, as have just started learning about electronics today.

Basically, I'm trying to copy a diagram for a Tube Screamer into a program called Mutisim, but I've got stuck on a few parts of it.

Could someone tell me what is going on in the bits I've circled in red in the picture? I don't know what they are, or how to put them onto my diagram.

Any help appreciated, thanks

What actually is "mutism?" I'm actaully making some pedals with a friend, so anything would be helpful. How much is it and where can you get it?

Cheers - good luck with your project,

Dan
Gear List;

Laney VH100R with Matching Cab
Ibanez RGT42FM
Schecter C-1+
BC Rich Neck Thru Warlock
ISP Noise Decimator
Ibanez TS9
Quote by loonyguitarist
I still don't get whats going on here. Why isn't it shown? And where does the -ve end of the battery connect to?

And that site was a little too in depth for me, I only started this sort of thing yesterday

If you look at the schematic - http://www.geofex.com/Article_Folders/TStech/tsxtech.gif, you'll see at the top left hand corner the 9v supply which is connected to a voltage divider - the two 10k resistors, to give a 4.5v supply. All the parts of the rest of the diagram that indicate +4.5v are connected to this, and it's the same for your diagram
On your diagram the battery negative is connected to the earth connections
^ Thanks. It's all working now

^^ I got multism with a book I just bought about electronics. It's just a program that lets you make circuit diagrams and stuff and helps you see how they work. If you want, I may be able to make a zip of the files on the cd and send it to you so you can install it. PM me if you want it.
Quote by Liberation
Last edited by loonyguitarist at Aug 30, 2006,