Hey guys. I'm about ready to buy my new amp. I had my mind completely set on the Fender Blues Junior for a long time, but lately the Crate Palomino V-16 has caught my attention. Most online reviews I've read say that the Crate has MUCH better overdrive and even handles pedals better than the BJ. But I hear the clean channel on the Crate is EXACTLY like a Fender, but breaks up much sooner on the volume meter.

So how does the Crate stack up against the Blues Junior? Am I right in assuming that the Fender has more headroom, but the Crate has better overdrive and is more pedal-friendly?

btw, here's the amp I'm talkin about. It aint your typical Crate, so dont jump to conclusions.... http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Crate-V16-Palomino-15W-Class-A-Tube-Combo-Amp?sku=487826&src=HC004
I doubt it could take pedals better than the Blues Jr....

Try one out for yourself and see what you think of it, and it's bound to have a better overdrive channel than the Blues Jr, because the Blues Jr doesn't even have a proper overdrive channel, but sounds amazing anyway.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Something else I just read on a Harmony-Central review has me a little wary..

A few different people noted that the Crate runs HOT, and has very short tube life. Can anyone comment on this? I dont want to be replacing tubes any more than I really have to...
Valve replacements don't cost that much.... you'll have to replace them about once a year or something.

The valves run hot 'coz it's a class A amp (read up on the internet about them, you'll get the idea) But this really won't be much of a problem for you.
Don't be afraid to care"

^I'm glad you can try them both out, are you gonna' compare them head to head?
And good luck!
Don't be afraid to care"

Ironically enough, these two amps (crate V16 and fender BJ) are right next to eachother at the Guitar Center near me. So, yes, I will be comparing them directly head-to-head. I'll report my analysis after I'm done
I know we're talking about the V16, but I looked at a V8 recently. The guy told me he could "get down to $250". So take that into consideration. Don't know how much you're wanting to spend. Sounds good though.
Mesa Dual Rec/ Mesa 4X12 cab
01 PRS Custom 22
06 PRS Singlecut Ann.
1965 Fender Mustang
Ibanez acoustic
AceFrehley Epiphone LP
Takamine Explorer
tr-2 tu-2 / EHX DMM / MXR Script Phase 90 / SMM w/ HAZR
WH-1 Whammy / 535Q Crybaby