I recently bought a used Lee-Jackson XLA-1000. The amp works well and sounds great. I don't know how long the tubes have been in use, so, I am considering replacing the tubes. I already have the preamp tubes, so, I need advice on the power tubes. The amp has four 6L6 tubes. I'm considering using Groove Tubes, but, there are so many choices. Also, there are numerical ratings. Can anyone tell me what the ratings mean and give me some advice on which tubes I should get. The amp has a Marshall-like sound that, I don't want to stray from too much. I play mostly classic rock, Lynyrd Skynyrd, AC-DC and ZZ Top. I am learning several songs from the Offspring.
I THINK the numbers are how closely they're matched.

I would use JJ's. Head over to www.eurotubes.com and Bob will hook you up with some well matched high quality tubes.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
Go with Groove Tubes. Thats what i got in mine, and it sounds amazing.
FlickR
iBanez Rg550 20th Anniversary.
iBanez GRG170DX W/ Dimarzio Steve's Special
VTM 60 Tube Head
Carvin Legacy Vai Cabinet 4x12 Cabinet
Boss SD-1 Super Overdrive
ZW-44 Overdrive
Zakk Wylde Signiture Wah
if you want a Marshally tone check out some EL34's rather than 6L6's....... and what exactly do you mean by numerical ratings? where are you seeing them? you might be seeing the mA rating of the tube in which case you would want a matched quad (four of the same tubes with the same/VERY similar mA's)
nah , Gutch he is right about the ratings. Groove Tubes are made with specifc ratings. The closer the rating numbers are for the seperate tubes, the better matched they are. Really it's mostly a marketing ploy, like Hybrid amps, it really makes little difference. Personally I think Groove Tubes are overpriced. For quite a bit less you can get Sovtek or Electro-Harmonix tubes that sound practically the same as GT's.
Gibson SG Standard
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Fulltone OCD
EH Holy Grail
Thanks for the replies. I have to admit, I don't know much about tube amps. Everything I've had before has been SS. I believe the number is that I saw was the ma rating. The preamp tubes I have are Sovtek. The amp sounds good as is, but, I don't know how old the tubes are and how much life is left in them. I'm thinking a new set of tubes and I'm sure that I'm getting the best sound out of it. EL34s are interchangeable with 6L6s? Somewhere I've read that the bias needs to be set with a tube change? Sorry for all the questions, but, again tube amps, although old tech, are new to me. I appreciate the help.
Quote by That_Pink_Queen

I would use JJ's. Head over to www.eurotubes.com and Bob will hook you up with some well matched high quality tubes.

I have a friend and guitar shop owner that suggested them as well, thanks!
Quote by fireman464
I recently bought a used Lee-Jackson XLA-1000. The amp works well and sounds great. I don't know how long the tubes have been in use, so, I am considering replacing the tubes. I already have the preamp tubes, so, I need advice on the power tubes. The amp has four 6L6 tubes. I'm considering using Groove Tubes, but, there are so many choices. Also, there are numerical ratings. Can anyone tell me what the ratings mean and give me some advice on which tubes I should get. The amp has a Marshall-like sound that, I don't want to stray from too much. I play mostly classic rock, Lynyrd Skynyrd, AC-DC and ZZ Top. I am learning several songs from the Offspring.

well im not reall sure what the numerical ratings are but i can tell you that 6550s are great tubes. and basically you know your getting good tube if you pay alot. like 6550s run around 210 USD. but get the groove tube match power ones or theres no point to spending the money.
Quote by That_Pink_Queen

Thanks again for the info. I just got an e-mail back from Bob at Eurotubes. Wow! this guy knows his stuff. He gave me the lowdown on a number of different tubes, both preamp and power that I could use and how they would affect the sound of my amp. Now to decide on what sound I want to get.
Related question: Would it be possible to put E34L tubes in an amp that uses EL34?
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Are those real? Or is that typo?
FlickR
iBanez Rg550 20th Anniversary.
iBanez GRG170DX W/ Dimarzio Steve's Special
VTM 60 Tube Head
Carvin Legacy Vai Cabinet 4x12 Cabinet
Boss SD-1 Super Overdrive
ZW-44 Overdrive
Zakk Wylde Signiture Wah
Quote by LethalAe86TypeR
Are those real? Or is that typo?

They're real.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by fireman464
Thanks again for the info. I just got an e-mail back from Bob at Eurotubes. Wow! this guy knows his stuff. He gave me the lowdown on a number of different tubes, both preamp and power that I could use and how they would affect the sound of my amp. Now to decide on what sound I want to get.

The lowdown on tubes that are all JJs... I recommend you shop around a bit and make a choice based on what you think is best, not what a paid distributor of one brand of tubes thinks is best. I'd also check out www.dougstubes.com and www.tubestore.com. Mesa-Boogie also makes a fine tube that comes with a 6 month warranty.
Hi, I'm Peter
you can put almost any power tubes into a tube amp as long as they fit. As long as you get the amp rebiased to handle the new tubes.
Gibson SG Standard
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Fulltone OCD
EH Holy Grail
Quote by Archeo Avis
Related question: Would it be possible to put E34L tubes in an amp that uses EL34?

Yes
Quote by Dirk Gently
The lowdown on tubes that are all JJs... I recommend you shop around a bit and make a choice based on what you think is best, not what a paid distributor of one brand of tubes thinks is best. I'd also check out www.dougstubes.com and www.tubestore.com. Mesa-Boogie also makes a fine tube that comes with a 6 month warranty.

Thanks for the advice. Iwill shop around.