What exactly is a powerchord? They are in a lot of songs I like to play and I would like to know the theory behind them. Thanks alot!
run...run and hide...while you still can
Quote by GuitarHobbiest
What exactly is a powerchord?

Quote by laid_to_waste
My trouser snake is friendly. If you pet him, he might even do a trick! think I'm going to hell for that one.
Quote by Zoso68
run...run and hide...while you still can

he's a newbie
myspace.com/thecarlandbenextravaganza1

my band ^
go to the hills quickly!! I'll distract them...... so what about that emo eh?

That one last shot's a Permanent Vacation
And how high can you fly with broken wings?
Life's a journey not a destination
And I just can't tell just what tomorrow brings

For info how to join the team PM Bombtrack
Powerchords are simple chords that consist of the root and the 5th. So, if it was an A powerchord, the root would be A, and the 5th would be E. It would look like so:

e----------------
B----------------
G----------------
D----7-----------
A----7-----------
E----5-----------

Now, this chord is neither minor nor major, because it isn't a complete triad; it is missing the 3rd.

It can anywhere on the fret board, as long as the root is on either the E or the A string. If it is on the D, it will have a different finger formation, looking like this:

e----------------
B----6-----------
G----5-----------
D----3-----------
A----------------
E----------------

The upper octave isn't neccisary, but I like to use it for a fuller sound. Also, for the fingerings, the root should be done with the pointer, and the 5th and upper octave can be done either with the single ring finger or the ring and pinky.
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID
Last edited by Kartman at Aug 29, 2006,
Lol. A Root Note and and its fifth played at the same time. most of the time it also has the root note an octave higer
ie root note is G
-----------------------------------------
---------5 (Octave)-------------------
---------5-(fifth------------------------
---------3 (Root)----------------------
if you have learned barre chords, then you may have noticed that power chords consist of the three lowest notes of any given barre chord. i think they they are called "power" chords because they are low and basic, and have a lot of "oomph"

like cavemen.

i think thats what it is, but i just thought of that so it might not be true
CTHC
Quote by GuitarHobbiest
What exactly is a powerchord? They are in a lot of songs I like to play and I would like to know the theory behind them. Thanks alot!
There's not a lot of theory involved with power chords. Here's a short power chord tutorial with some diagrams. I hope it helps
All things are difficult before they are easy.
- Dr. Thomas Fuller (British physician, 1654-1734)
Quote by Freepower
For everything you need to know - gpb0216.