hi, im trying to write songs like opeth but ive been having some trouble, idk what sort of progressions they use.
Thanx in advance for any help.
maybe so...maybe so young one.

Quote by Friggly
"But just PRETEND i'm not your sister"

Quote by dingmydong
I'm gonna start reffering to the female reproductive organ as the scarlet monastery now

Harmonize to a different degree every other note, and play the most obscure chords you can think of.

I love Opeth
Don't write like Opeth, write like yourself, with some strains of Opeth. If that makes any sense.
"We are what we pretend to be...so we must be careful what we pretend to be."
i dont get what you mean by harmonize to a different degree every other note, do u mean say u hav a cmaj7th chord, are u saying that instead of the 1,3,5,7 u would play 1,raised 3rd,5,raised7 or somethin.

ye anno, i just love dischords

Quote by Friggly

Quote by dingmydong
I'm gonna start reffering to the female reproductive organ as the scarlet monastery now

yes i know fakeplasticman i want to hav an influence of opeth in my writing thats all.

Quote by Friggly

Quote by dingmydong

All I would say is get alot of tabs such as The Leper Affinity and Bleak, etc. Still Life and BWP are great CDs to get songs from.

I also know they do alot of chords where like, they play like, 5 on low E, and 7 on D, etc.
Quote by MoogleRancha
It's like Fenriz and J. Read

"I'm so happy to love metal and stuff"

"I AM metal"
yes i think that is called a power chord buring angel, lol do u mean 7 on low e and 5 on d

Quote by Friggly

Quote by dingmydong

diminished power chords, and a lot of them, with fills in between them, plus, feel out the music
Quote by beadhangingOne
There is no music but metal and muhammad is its prophet.
Quote by Mr.Loomis_shred
yes i think that is called a power chord buring angel, lol do u mean 7 on low e and 5 on d

Meh, I dont think of those as normal power chords.

I know they also try to play around with dark/melancholy sounding chords, etc. Weird chords mostly.......
Quote by MoogleRancha
It's like Fenriz and J. Read

"I'm so happy to love metal and stuff"

"I AM metal"
Quote by Mr.Loomis_shred
, do u mean say u hav a cmaj7th chord, are u saying that instead of the 1,3,5,7 u would play 1,raised 3rd,5,raised7 or somethin.

ye anno, i just love dischords

No he means use crazy chords like Cmin. maj7b5b11, if that even works.
SPAM
Stock Gibson Pickups from a 2005 V, I think they're a 498T and 500T set FS/FT
Duncan Distortion (regular spaced) FS

Looking for: an acoustic, recording gear, or $
Quote by Mr.Loomis_shred

*cough* octave *cough*

EDIT: I think Burning Angel dude means an octave
Quote by krymson
I hope that we could get some real metal out there. I guess A7X a start...
But nu metal does have its moments like Slipknot Mushroomhead and Korn.

Quote by VR2005
...Scales are basically the most useless thing in jazz...