Does anyone know of any books for helping towards technical virtuosity? I guess book on shred and stuff but something a little better than "learn how to shred for beginners". Thanks.
troy stetinas speed mechanics for lead guitar is awesome.
maybe so...maybe so young one.

Quote by Friggly
"But just PRETEND i'm not your sister"

Quote by dingmydong
I'm gonna start reffering to the female reproductive organ as the scarlet monastery now

stetina books stink
i think the best way you can learn "virtuosity" is by looking at what other players do & then find info on that

it's not easy,it will all mostly depend on your determination & dedication
Yeah I was never fond of Stetina books myself, but it's different for everyone.
Seinfeld
The Gear:
Fender John Mayer Sig. Strat
Hughes & Kettner Edition Blue 60
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez Tubescreamer
Damn right, I've got the blues.
rock discipline by john petrucci
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
- Jimi Hendrix
i thought they were good...meh

Quote by Friggly

Quote by dingmydong
I'm gonna start reffering to the female reproductive organ as the scarlet monastery now

Ive got a copy of the speed mechanics for lead guitar, and personally I think it's a great book. But thats all down to personal preferance. Try getting a copy of that and taking a look at that, if not look for someone who has it and borrow it to see what you think. Rock discipline is also a great one.
But someone said above me is to look at some artists which play the kind of stuff you want to be playing and look into their styles and all. That would be one of your best bets.
Good Luck
if it's pure technique you're looking to improve (as well as learning how to practice), go with Speed Mechanics...mind you, it may be a bit advanced
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

Member #2 of the "Official UG Teabaggers' Cult". PM Slayer224 to join.
i guess it depends what he means by "technical virtuosity" to me that would involve all techniques of the guitar...not just alt picking which the stetina book mostly focuses on

but what about the other techniques??
honestly i don't think theres a single book that will actually teach you anything,if you want to play fast all you have to do is practice...observing really is the best way of learning anything,observe then try.
i also think it's more important you learn about phrasing & dynamics than speed...speed comes with repitition,phrasing & dynamics from feeling
SM actually has a section on creative soloing and ear training, so it's very well rounded

however, "Melodic Control" by Marty Friedman is a great instructional in that it focuses more on how to bring out your creativity in your soloing
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

Member #2 of the "Official UG Teabaggers' Cult". PM Slayer224 to join.
yea i also watched that, it is probaly ure best bet

Quote by Friggly

Quote by dingmydong